Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Trail Magic ?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Trail Magic ?

My family and I would like to do the trail magic this year. We are doing this in honor of our 24 year old daughter who died in an auto accident 2.20.2020. She had planned to do the AT and was preparing for it before her accident. We would like to do this in the Wayah Bald area. We picked this area because of a rare salamander that lives there. We figure during down times my son and I could catch and photograph the sally to keep us busy. We have wanted to do this sooner but Covid kind of put a damper on things.

So the question I have, what would be a good time to conduct trail magic in the Wayah Bald area? At what time of year will there be good traffic in that area. Thanks for any help.
    • d Thor,
      I am so sorry to hear of your loss. This sounds like a lovely way to honor your daughter. You should have no problem finding hungry thirsty hikers that time of year. I wish you the best on your endeavor.

Scott

And I hope you find your Salamander too!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

d Thor,
      I am so sorry to hear of your loss. This sounds like a lovely way to honor your daughter. You should have no problem finding hungry thirsty hikers that time of year. I wish you the best on your endeavor.

Scott

And I hope you find your Salamander too!
      Thank You for that Scott. The way I would like to honor her would be to do the trail myself. Maybe I will one day. I have found that Salamander before. It is called the Red-legged Salamander. Gorgeous little creature. flickr.com/photos/75471199@N08…368/in/dateposted-public/