Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2022

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking Plans 2022

Here it is, part of the fun is planning, What are your hiking plans for 2022?

Of course, like New Years Resolutions, Hiking Plans often fall by the wayside. "Man plans - God laughs." Regardless, the planning is what keeps me going through the long gray Winter.

So, What are your plans?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Grand Canyon. 4 night, 5 days starting Apr 29, unless I die or bail before that due to being old and out of shape.

New Year's resolution is to get into shape for said hike. Goal is to lose 17 lbs (that's 1 lb per week), walk on treadmill every night. Do some calisthenics untill I can do 1 push up.

The post was edited 1 time, last by odd man out ().

• LIhikers wrote:

I'm still needing to hike Katahdyn in Maine and Wildcat D in New Hampshire. There's also a possibility that we'll hike the AT south from Harper's Ferry to Springer Mountain but that will depend on a number of factors.
      The Wildcats was the beginning of my AT hike last summer and the Katahdin was the end of it. There is reason they were at the end. :)

I wish you well, and would personally recommend coming back down Abol from Katahdin.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Current plan is Benton MacKaye Trial in May/June and then Collegiate Loop in July/August.

Now if I could gracefully get out of my wife's family reunion in PA in mid-July, I would go for the entire Colorado Trail instead of just the Collegiate Loop. That would make (with BMT) around 8 weeks and nearly 800 miles, which would be awesome. I also have my first two grandchildren due this summer so I will have to see how that goes and impacts things.

During weekends and other time off will plan to complete "original" Ozark Highlands Trail (40 left of 164 miles) and start making a dent in the "new" 100 or so miles.

Of course everything is based upon the assumption of staying healthy. I love my Physical Therapy place, but after getting released a few weeks ago, I prefer not see them for a while. :)
    • I haven't made any definite plans yet. A lot depends on our situation at work. Because of a shortage of cars, I may take a longer hike this year.
      Possibilities include the BMT for a 3rd time in the spring(probably April), the Cohos Trail (august?september?) NPT (Oct/Nov).
      AT thru VA (May).
      If our inventory improves, I'll probably postpone the longer trips. I would then do the STS loop in April(3rd attempt), then see about what to do for summer/fall.
      As long as I've got cars to sell, I've been making good money, and need to sock some bucks away for retirement.
      So I probably won't be making any decisions until March.
      Next hike up is our annual MLK hike,(now GHD hike).
      its all good
    • My problem is getting away for more than a week at a time. I just got a new foster kid and leaving more than a week puts too much of a burden on my wife.

My major goal is to finish the PCT California desert sections E (112 miles) and F (86 miles) this year. I might try to do a week in March for one of these, if not, it will have to wait until the summer again. Hitting the desert in the summer has really slowed me down.

I would also like to start sectioning another local (New England) trail that I can do on the occasional weekends I have free. The New England Trail is a possibility, and so is the Cohos Trail. I am open to other suggestions.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

Current plan is Benton MacKaye Trial in May/June and then Collegiate Loop in July/August.

Now if I could gracefully get out of my wife's family reunion in PA in mid-July, I would go for the entire Colorado Trail instead of just the Collegiate Loop. That would make (with BMT) around 8 weeks and nearly 800 miles, which would be awesome. I also have my first two grandchildren due this summer so I will have to see how that goes and impacts things.

During weekends and other time off will plan to complete "original" Ozark Highlands Trail (40 left of 164 miles) and start making a dent in the "new" 100 or so miles.

Of course everything is based upon the assumption of staying healthy. I love my Physical Therapy place, but after getting released a few weeks ago, I prefer not see them for a while. :)
      Grandchildren change everything…for the better!

I’m glad you decided on the BMT.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Hiking plans…

My plans are to continue the things that I’ve started, like the Sheltowee Trace Trail.

I’ve also been thinking about filling in the gaps of the AT that I’m missing from GA to Va. I have no desire to section hike the entire AT but would like to finish the region…maybe

I’m also tentatively planning a trip to Maine this summer.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I think I'm going to re-hike Elkwallow to Harper's Ferry in April with my buddy Slingshot. Then in probably July I plan on heading back to New Hampshire to continue my section hike. A lot depends on getting someone to look after my wife while I hike and my knee condition. Going into the orthopedic surgeon this afternoon for my scheduled lube :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Smoking Sox and I are looking to hike from Winding Stair Gap to Newfound Gap in late April / early May. We'd love to knock off all of our southern miles in one trip but we just don't have the time. This hike will set us up for finishing those miles on top of Max Patch in the next year or two.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

Grand Canyon. 4 night, 5 days starting Apr 29, unless I die or bail before that due to being old and out of shape.

New Year's resolution is to get into shape for said hike. Goal is to lose 17 lbs (that's 1 lb per week), walk on treadmill every night. Do some calisthenics untill I can do 1 push up.
      Progress report - Nothing like the prospect of having to haul my sorry ass out of a 5000 foot deep canyon to motivate me to get into shape.
      I given up on the push ups, but treadmill walking is getting much easier and the weight loss was going so well, I've bumped up my goal to 25 lbs in 118 days (1.5 lbs per week). In the past when I've been successful, part of the strategy was to weigh myself every morning and chart the progress on a graph. This helps me visualize the progress (or lack of it, in case extra motivation is needed). Also posting it on my social media has helped (peer pressure). So here is the current status. Still ahead of schedule.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Smoking Sox and I are looking to hike from Winding Stair Gap to Newfound Gap in late April / early May. We'd love to knock off all of our southern miles in one trip but we just don't have the time. This hike will set us up for finishing those miles on top of Max Patch in the next year or two.
      Best laid plans...

Daughter's doctoral hooding is May 8th and my son's fiancé's graduation is May 7th. Both in the Raleigh / Durham area. AT will have to wait for September.

I'm looking to take a long weekend this summer to fly up to Boston and finish the short section from Carter Notch Gap to Gorham. Both trips would set us up for finishing the southern miles and NH in 2023.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • jimmyjam wrote:

OMO, I'd work on knee strengthening exercises a lot- squats and step ups etc. I did before I went last spring and Slingshot and I still hobbled around for a couple days afterwards, but totally worth it.
      I seem to recall you got one of the walk-up permits. Is that right? Where did you go?
      Have been doing some squats/deep knee bends too. I will take a few trips up and down the stairs at work at lunch sometimes too. It's hard to find much elevation change in MI. Maybe I'll go climb a snow covered sand dune this weekend.
    • odd man out wrote:

I seem to recall you got one of the walk-up permits. Is that right? Where did you go?....
      I just re-read your trip report to answer my own question. My plan is to arrive at FLG at 12:30 (it's strange, but flying to FLG is cheaper than PHX or LAS for me now). I'll camp at Mather for the first two nights (can't beat $9/night). I figure my 40 deg quilt will be warm enough for below the rim but I'll bring an extra blanket for camping on the rim and leave it in the car with my other travel bag while hiking. I have a reservation at Yavapai for one night post hike (will need the shower and real bed, no doubt), but will change that to BA Lodge if a spot opens up. Your first pre-hike day is pretty much what I was planning. I thought I might try to find Zuni point - another one of the overlooks you can only get to by foot. This one doesn't even have a trail to it, but you can't can't really get lost. Pull off the road at the right spot, walk north, and stop before you fall off the edge. I hear Desert Watch Tower has been recently restored - I'll want to see that. Plus I'll want to explore the historic buildings in the village as you did, maybe have lunch at El Tovar, and walk/bus out to Hermits Rest. Hopefully I can get most of that in. I only have one full day pre-hike plus the PM I arrive and early AM before I have to leave. I was at the north rim for a few days about 10 years ago (but not for hiking) and at the south rim for about an hour in 1970 (yes, really).

americansouthwest.net/arizona/grand_canyon/zuni-point.html
    • OMO,
      I guess you found it, but you go to the Back Country Office just across the RR tracks sort of in-between Yavapai and Masiwick. If you need any gear, there is an outfitter located inside the grocery store across the parking lot from the Yavapai office. Have a great trip. Shoshone Point does have great views with few people- might have been 10 when we went. I'm sure you will have a blast.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

OMO,
      I guess you found it, but you go to the Back Country Office just across the RR tracks sort of in-between Yavapai and Masiwick. If you need any gear, there is an outfitter located inside the grocery store across the parking lot from the Yavapai office. Have a great trip. Shoshone Point does have great views with few people- might have been 10 when we went. I'm sure you will have a blast.
      I'll stop at the Back Country Office first. Apparently they loan out free Rat Sacks, which I will need as my two off-corridor campsites don't have food boxes. I'll probably go to the outfitters second as I'll need to buy stove fuel. I hope they have alcohol, but I'll bring my gas burner in case they don't. I might get a steak and beer at the grocery store and grill it at the camp site for my first night.
    • fastjack wrote:

I'm planning a solo thru-hike, nobo, and continuing in Canada until Forillon Park in Quebec province. It's good to dream.
      With luck, I'll be leaving on April 6th. If I don't get injured in the first two weeks, chances are good.
      fastjack, welome to the cafe!
      That sounds like a great adventure. :thumbup:
    • fastjack wrote:

I'm planning a solo thru-hike, nobo, and continuing in Canada until Forillon Park in Quebec province. It's good to dream.
      With luck, I'll be leaving on April 6th. If I don't get injured in the first two weeks, chances are good.
      That's certainly a challenging plan.

What kind of conditions are you expecting after you summit Katahdin and continue north?
      2,000 miler
    • IMScotty wrote:

FastJack,
      Will you have a Blog or Vlog so that we may follow your hike?

Good luck.

Good evening Scotty,

For a vlog, I will only bring my cell phone (camera wise), so I don't think so. As for the blog, I'm not sure. There are many out there and I'm not exactly a fun guy to read. Many vlogs on youtube show young folks talking about their equipment for hours. It's a bit sad (but I'm no better, since I look at my list for hours, hoping to shed a gram with my eyes).

I know the AT is quite an undertaking. Chances are, I'll have an excellent burger in a nice restaurant on the third week and call it a day (just kidding). But if I don't try, I won't know. It's a good time for me.

I'm waiting on a passport. Aslo, I'm selling my house right now and was able to find a buyer (yay!, good timing). I need to check a couple things with my dentist and MD too before leaving. I'll need prescription on the walk and will, at most, bring 3 months of pills. After that, I'll rely on a visit to a pharmacist.

I'll start slow, forcing myself not to go beyond 12-15 miles / day (when possible). After the second week, I'll see how far I can go, while keeping healthy time for food and sleep. I'm mostly worried about sickness and injuries on the first couple months. After that, I think it's a matter of not losing the ball and keep a positive mental attitude.

The historical sites will matter. I really want to learn more about places I'll pass. There must be a few jewels along the way. Maybe discover interesting stories from the locals, who knows? I don't know much about US and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to really get to know my neighbour :)

I have some hesitations with the amount of people that I may meet at campsites. I'm used to be alone, or see a couple tents at most. But the AT is popular.

Discovering new plants could be of interest. Georgia is far south from me, and I bet there are some neat flora out there. Maybe a theme for a blog? I'm up for suggestions.

As for the equipment, I went for an Liteaf at first, but their production wait time is insane. It must be very popular. So I decided to go with a Nashville Pack. It's a bit small for my needs, but I really like the simplicity. It will be full with 3L of water and 4-5 days of food, but I expect I'll need less most of the time.

Basically, I need to work on myself, reflect. After I got sick, I became a disagreeable person and lost some compassion. This is unacceptable for a nurse. I need to find out what's wrong with me so I can continue evolving and improving. Hopefully this hike will help.

As for my nickname, no, I'm not fast (anymore). I'm more like Fat Jack. But hey, you never know, I might gain speed :P Thank you

The post was edited 3 times, last by fastjack ().

• max.patch wrote:

fastjack wrote:

That's certainly a challenging plan.
      What kind of conditions are you expecting after you summit Katahdin and continue north?

Good evening max.patch,

This is a key question. When I hiked the Gaspesie Park, we had a small section with snow up our knees on July 31th. It was rough and slow to hike. The snow patch wasn't too big, but it took me by surprise. I was not equipped for that. Also, I recall a couple days with 12+ hours of hiking and less than 15 miles done. It was raining often. I guess Maine and parts of Quebec could be like this.

Assuming I (ever) reach mount Katahdin after mid August, I would consider stopping in Matapedia. I would be nervous going in rocky areas of Gaspesie in September. I'm afraid of hypothermia or getting lost because of the snow. Some say it's sometimes fine until October. The trail is not large and I don't know the states of the trails from Katahdin to Matapedia. I'm expecting small mountains and valleys from Matapedia to Mt Logan.

Also, I haven't checked the trail going from Katahdin to Fort Fairfield (assuming it goes near). I think I'll start assessing this if/when I get closer to Maine.

The post was edited 4 times, last by fastjack ().

• Booked my flights to California in May.
      Hope to really complete the desert section of the PCT this time, CA Sections E & F, Agua Dulce to Walker Pass.
      Less than 200 miles, but we will see. The desert seems to be my downfall.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Finally completed the Carter Notch to Gorham section. Now we can focus on a September hike in North Carolina / Tennessee.