Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Cleaning your gear

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I had my pack all ready to go the night before my flight last summer to CA and my next PCT section hike. Got up at 4 AM, my wife drove me to the airport, and the whole way there we were like "What is that smell?" At the airport I figured it out, the cat peed on my pack during the night. I think it was mad I was leaving.

Had to smell that thing on my back the entire hike. Once I got home, a bathtub soak helped, but did not entirely make it go away. They make this enzyme stuff for getting rid of cat urine odor, but then it has its own smell.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I had my pack all ready to go the night before my flight last summer to CA and my next PCT section hike. Got up at 4 AM, my wife drove me to the airport, and the whole way there we were like "What is that smell?" At the airport I figured it out, the cat peed on my pack during the night. I think it was mad I was leaving.

Had to smell that thing on my back the entire hike. Once I got home, a bathtub soak helped, but did not entirely make it go away. They make this enzyme stuff for getting rid of cat urine odor, but then it has its own smell.
      Best Practice from Astro: Don't own a cat :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General