Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

The Last Traverse - Tragedy and Resilience in the Winter Whites

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The Last Traverse - Tragedy and Resilience in the Winter Whites

Just finished this book last evening. A sobering story of two hikers who attempt to complete the classic Franconia Ridge Traverse in February - up Falling Waters Trail, across the Franconia Ridge to Mount Lafayette, and down the Greenleaf / Old Bridle Path Trails.

The author is a risk management expert and offers commentary on how one poor decision can lead to a cascade of poor decisions. As others turned around upon reaching the summit of Little Haystack, these two hikers decided to continue towards Mount Lafayette. Once a severe storm hit the ridge... PooFan

When SAR was deployed, they had to cover every contingency and sent groups up Liberty Springs Trail, Falling Waters Trail, Old Bridle Path Trail and Skookumchuck Trail as well as a team that went into the Pemi Basin from the south. If you don't learn anything about risk management, you will certainly gain an appreciation for the various SAR teams that operate in the Whites. Not to mention to New Hampshire Air National Guard.

Made me glad I purchase a Hike Safe card for each New Hampshire section hike.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard