Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Gear Repair

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gear Repair

A lot of my gear is wearing out at the same time which is frustrating.

My campground tent is a Big Agnes Copper Spur that I bought in 2011. At that time, the fabric used was ultralight silicone treated nylon rip-stop with a waterproof polyurethane coating. According to the research, this type of fabric is very difficult and near impossible to re-water proof.

My problem is that some of the seam tape under the rain fly has loosened and was falling off. The tent is at the end of it’s life but I really want another year out of it.

I clipped off the loose tape, cleaned the exposed seam with alcohol and applied seam sealant. However, it doesn't seem to have worked. There is a thin strip of something over the seams which I assume is what held the original tape onto the fabric. I can’t see where my seam sealant was applied and feel like I should be able to see it. I think the original “glue” is still on the seam.

Everything I read about this issue says to “remove the flaking tape” and the remaining “residue”. My tape wasn’t flaking and disintegrating, it came off cleanly.

So now what do I do? Is it sealed because there’s still some clear stuff over the seams? I really don’t want to replace it yet. Hopefully I’ll find time to put it up in the yard and water it down with the hose.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • It’s very difficult to see what I’m talking about but look closely and you see a clear, uniform strip, especially in the bottom picture (the top of the pic shows the intact tape, right below it you can see a shadow of what I’m talking about.)
      Images
      • 5E99EE24-2D11-4C12-8A34-1CD78B9018D1.jpeg

74.08 kB, 600×450, viewed 225 times
      • 99373B4D-C820-4AA0-9867-2B1396D1F2D2.jpeg

63.83 kB, 600×450, viewed 218 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Personal preference.

And while my first backpacking tent was the classic non freestanding Eureka Timberline (7 pounds) and I used a non freestanding Walrus Solo Plus on my thru (2 3/4 pounds which was pretty darn good back then which was the reason I got it even though it was like sleeping in a coffin) every other tent I've owned has been freestanding. And I don't see that changing.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Personal preference.

And while my first backpacking tent was the classic non freestanding Eureka Timberline (7 pounds) and I used a non freestanding Walrus Solo Plus on my thru (2 3/4 pounds which was pretty darn good back then which was the reason I got it even though it was like sleeping in a coffin) every other tent I've owned has been freestanding. And I don't see that changing.
      Wait - isn't that the standard green a-frame shaped Eureka? They are freestanding (can be staked out to make the fly work better and the corners to hold them if it is windy, but they do stand up once the poles are in without being attached to anything).
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I think one side of my fly is silicone coated and one side is PU coated. I haven’t figured out which side is which but I set it up in the back yard and seam sealed it right side up. It seems to have worked this time. Hopefully I’ll have time to test it soon.
      Look on RipStopBytheRoll web site. It will tell which sealant to use on which side. Also you might try emailing Kyle the owner about identifying which side is which and how to seal it. I've found him pretty responsive in the past.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Astro wrote:

I really enjoy my Tiger Wall UL1. :thumbup:
      It was on my short list. In fact, I decided to buy the Tiger Wall bike pack tent but got cold feet. I’m reading that the fabric is too delicate and the zipper is cheap. Ugh, it’s so hard to make a decision.
      In the back of my mind I'm also thinking about free standing tents to use for bicycle touring, but I'd need a 2 person tent. I think the way to go might be to find a tent you like and then make, or have made, custom pole sets that consist of short sections. It would be an added expense but I'd have what I want.
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The pricing on some of the tents in BA Crazylight series is exactly that...crazy.
      Crazy light, also means may tear easily.
      I've read that is a problem with their lightest weight tents. I've read it enough to know that I'd stay away from them. (BA tent owner; but not the lightest line.)
      They even warn that they are not for most customers, and require extreme care.

My first was a Seedhouse SL2 because I was new to backpacking and wanted something closer to my car camping Coleman's from Boy Scouts. Then I switched to UL1's. First a Flycreek and now a Tiger Wall. :)

I have no plans to ever go to the Carbon or Platinum "Crazy Lights". To me it looks like a lot of $$$ and increased concern to save a few ounces. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • To repair the tear in my wind pants I ordered a product from 'Gear Aid' called 'Tenacious Tape.' Only a couple of bucks on Amazon.

amazon.com/dp/B09V3DY3X5?psc=1…o2ov_dt_b_product_details

The repair could not have been simpler, just peel and stick.
      Looks great again right nw. Time will tell abut durability.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

To repair the tear in my wind pants I ordered a product from 'Gear Aid' called 'Tenacious Tape.' Only a couple of bucks on Amazon.

Bought some from Poet at Shaw's in Monson in Summer 21 on way to Mt Katahdin.
      Was also impressed with ease and quality. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • IMScotty wrote:

To repair the tear in my wind pants I ordered a product from 'Gear Aid' called 'Tenacious Tape.' Only a couple of bucks on Amazon.

I always carry it. It practically sticks to water.
      its all good
    • odd man out wrote:

Tenacious Tape is great. I use it to tape my shoes. The lining of my shoe heels always wears out so I tape it with Tenacios tape which lasts forever.
      My heals also ride around in my Merrills and wear out the fabric in the heal cups. I get the thin Mole Skin sheet stuff, generic is fine. I cut it into heal cups and stick inside the shoes. Once it's in, I try and have the laces loose and use my fingers to hold the top of the mole skin in while my heal goes in, down and then back. Prevents my heal rolling down the pad.
      I'd not thought about using Tenacios.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • IMScotty wrote:

Tenacious tape generally works well, but I've found it works better if also sewn in like a patch, otherwise the adhesive will *eventually* fail.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.