Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans 2022

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking Plans 2022

I don't think this thread has been started yet, so I will do the honors.

It looks like I might have a window of opportunity for a hike between April 28 and May 8.
      High on my wish list are Isle Royale, Northern Sweden, Nepal, Sierra Mountains, New Zealand, and Kilimanjaro.

As none of those are possible in the first week of May, I resort to plan B:
      1. Grand Canyon
      2. Someplace Else

Any input on either of these options for the first week of May is appreciated. Cof124 Cof123 gif.013.gif :thumbup:
    • Looking to hike from Winding Stair Gap to Newfound Gap sometime in the spring. If I can get a full week for a hike, it will be a good year.

Wondering if my son with throw a wedding into 2022 just to gum up the works. :/

I would return to New Zealand in a heartbeat. My wife and I covered about 66% of the South Island. The North Island would be better for visiting during their winter (our summer). We could feel winter approaching the South Island when we visited in late March.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Grand Canyon. I've been five times now and I'm still blown away by it.
      I've been wondering about itineraries.Three or four nights? Corridor or Hermit loop? Transportation and lodging logistics?
      Permitting will be your biggest obstacle. Get your lodging first. You can try to get your permit, but don't get discouraged if they turn you down. They hold a few permits for each site in reserve at the Backcountry Office. You just need to get there early, like 6 am so you are at the front of the line or near the front. The rangers will be very helpful in telling where they have permits available. The Bright Angel or South Kaibab corridor to Phantom ranch is extremely popular, but Slingshot and I got walk up permits for it in April.
      A great hike would be down Hermit to the Tonto and around to Bright Angel, hitting Plateau Point on the way, you can also get to the river going down the Hermit.
      Another great hike people do is down the Grand View and spend a couple nights on Horseshoe Mesa( I've done this) or drop off the side of the mesa to the Tonto and take that west, connecting with the South Kaibab and take that to the river and Phantom Ranch/Bright Angel campground and return to the rim on the Bright Angel.
      Always always always check with the rangers on current water conditions. Water at Horseshoe Mesa is down a fairly wicked trail about .5 mi? to Miner's Spring aka Paige Spring.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Permitting will be your biggest obstacle. Get your lodging first. ...
      I checked and it's too late to get the cheap rooms at BA Lodge and not sure I want to pay $250 per night which is pretty much what every other room costs. Since I would be traveling alone, I'd probably just camp. I recall reading about your ability to get a last minute permit, but I don't think I want to fly out without a permit. My available dates are the last couple days of April and first couple days of May, so I get two months of lotteries to try for.

Have not considered a loop from Grandview trail to the corridor. How would you get to the trailhead? Is hitching an option? Also I didn't see any water sources between Horseshoe Mesa and Bright Angel/Indian Garden Campgrounds.
    • There is a hiker's parking lot at the Grand View trailhead. You could call a taxi or hitch. I've never hitched there. Going off the east side of the mesa you would tank up at Miner's Spring. As you go west on the Tonto you will cross Cottonwood Creek just past the left (west) arm of the mesa. 2.8 miles after that is a spring. Then there area pair of springs in about another mile. Then you cross Grapevine Creek about a mile after that. Then it's 5.7 miles to the spring at Boulder Creek. Then 3.1 miles to the spring at Lonetree Canyon. Then 3.2 miles to the spring at Cremation Creek. Then 2.4 miles to the Tipoff at the Tonto/South Kaibab intersection. Then 1.8 miles to the Black Bridge across the river to Phantom ranch. I have not done this but we met a couple who were doing it at the Tipoff. Get the Grand Canyon National Park Sky Terrain Trail Map.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Astro wrote:

Colorado Trail starting at beginning of July, hopefully finishing in 5 weeks or less.

Tune up hike in June, probably SNP for 100 miles or so. Or perhaps another trail.
      With wife's family reunions canceled last two summers due to COVID and elderly aunts and uncles passing away, my wife realy wants me to go to family reunion with her in July. Which ends my Colorado Trail plans.

So now I am thinking Sheltowee Trace Trail in June while she is gone to Ireland. Then after family reunion in PA in mid July she can drop me off at Bascomb Lodge at Mount Greylock and then I can do The Long Trail.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Astro,
      I think it would be fun to consider doing some hiking in Ireland. Maybe your wife would join you if it was Inn to Inn?

Have you considered just doing the Collegiate Loop in Colorado? Would make for a nice two-week trip.

Since you have done the AT part of the LT, have you considered just doing the northern half to finish it off.

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro,
      I think it would be fun to consider doing some hiking in Ireland. Maybe your wife would join you if it was Inn to Inn?

Have you considered just doing the Collegiate Loop in Colorado? Would make for a nice two-week trip.

Since you have done the AT part of the LT, have you considered just doing the northern half to finish it off.

Scott
      She wants to do a quilt tour, not walk.

I really enjoyed the AT part of VT and hope doing that again would help prepare me for the last 175 miles. I am thinking of doing an AT thru hike in 2023, and that should be a good test of if I really want to do the Whites and Southern ME again. :)
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I've been wondering about itineraries.Three or four nights? Corridor or Hermit loop? Transportation and lodging logistics?
      I won the GC lottery for a five day hike at the end of April:

Night 1 at Bright Angel
      Night 2 is Indian Garden
      Night 3 is Monument Creek
      Night 4 is Hermit Creek

One problem is the first day is just 2 days after my class ends. I would prefer to fly out a day early so I have a day to explore the rim, recover from travel, and retrieve my backpack if the airline loses it. Possible if I can grade all my final exams, submit grades, and pack in 20 hours. Then there is the small detail of convincing Mrs OMO this is a good idea.
    • odd man out wrote:

odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I won the GC lottery for a five day hike at the end of April:
      Night 1 at Bright Angel
      Night 2 is Indian Garden
      Night 3 is Monument Creek
      Night 4 is Hermit Creek

One problem is the first day is just 2 days after my class ends. I would prefer to fly out a day early so I have a day to explore the rim, recover from travel, and retrieve my backpack if the airline loses it. Possible if I can grade all my final exams, submit grades, and pack in 20 hours. Then there is the small detail of convincing Mrs OMO this is a good idea.
      Don't worry about the last one, you are Odd "MAN" Out, not Odd "mouse" Out. :D

Seriously, congratulations that is awesome! :thumbup:
    • Latest plan is BMT in May/June and then Colorado Trail Collegiate Loop in July/August.

If I can get out of Physical Therapy soon should also complete original Ozark Highland Trail (164 miles) and may be even the new parts (total of 254 miles).

Along the way I am getting a good collection of maps and guides from the ones I have considered (Long Trail and Sheltowee) and still hope to do in the future. Took advantage of the FarOut (Guthooks) 30% off Christmas sale (including the entire AT).
    • Wife's family reunion was moved from PA to IN, so now I am not required to go. So back on for Colorado Trail in July. Was thinking of Foot Hills trail for tune up at end of May. But now looks my 2 week class in May will not make, so can start BMT second week of May instead.

So starting at Amicalola Falls for BMT looks close to 300 miles in 3 weeks or so, and then CT for 485 in 5 weeks. Of course all of this is dependent on my body holding up. Regardless, should be fun. :thumbup:
    • Three weeks from today I start my GC adventure. I'll admit I m a bit intimidated by the 3800 ft climb over 8 miles in 90 deg heat with one water source and zero bail out options. To prepare I've lost 24 lbs since Christmas and walk 2 miles on the treadmill every night. But I decided not need to step it up a bit (literally) so today I started using the stair climber at the gym. It turns out 30 min/1200 stairs on the climber is way harder than 30 min/4000 steps on the the treadmill.
    • My Grand Canyon adventure nearly got derailed by Covid. After two years of being very careful, I came down with Covid early last week. Felt crummy and had a 102 fever for a couple days. Had a positive home test and also one at the university. But symptoms went away pretty quickly and I am supposedly good to go. It seems you are most contagious for a few days before and after your onset of symptoms. After your symptoms are gone for a few days, isolation is no longer necessary. So I will be off the grid for a while. Mrs OMO is still not convinced this is a good idea. She seems pretty convinced there's a good chance I won't return. At least the will is up to date.
    • odd man out wrote:

My Grand Canyon adventure nearly got derailed by Covid. After two years of being very careful, I came down with Covid early last week. Felt crummy and had a 102 fever for a couple days. Had a positive home test and also one at the university. But symptoms went away pretty quickly and I am supposedly good to go. It seems you are most contagious for a few days before and after your onset of symptoms. After your symptoms are gone for a few days, isolation is no longer necessary. So I will be off the grid for a while. Mrs OMO is still not convinced this is a good idea. She seems pretty convinced there's a good chance I won't return. At least the will is up to date.
      Sorry to hear about the Covid, but glad you quickly got over it.

I am confident you are going to have a great adventure! :)
    • You re still on for the trip, right OMO?

Everything I've seen says your immune system is now prepared, and you should be good to go. Happy Trails!

Remind me again, is this a Cross Canyon Trip?

I have fond memories of Indian Gardens on two different trips. The last trip ( 35 years ago?) I hiked to the river with my soon to be bride. We got on a raft at Phantom Ranch and Rafted the rest of the way out. Something overcame me and under a brilliant night sky I asked her to marry me. Things have not been the same since :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

Sorry to hear about the Covid, but glad you quickly got over it.
      I am confident you are going to have a great adventure! :)
      It's been a few of years since I've been able to take a multi day backpacking trip so I'm maybe a little less confident than usual. I'll admit the specs on this one (last day is 8 horizontal and nearly 1 vertical mile) has me a bit spooked.

IMScotty wrote:

You re still on for the trip, right OMO?

Remind me again, is this a Cross Canyon Trip?

I have fond memories of Indian Gardens on two different trips. The last trip ( 35 years ago?) I hiked to the river with my soon to be bride. We got on a raft at Phantom Ranch and Rafted the rest of the way out. Something overcame me and under a brilliant night sky I asked her to marry me. Things have not been the same since :)
      yes, it's on. Not a cross canyon (North Rim doesn't open until May 15). It's a 4 night hermit loop. First nift at Bright Angel (prepaid for the stew dinner and breakfast). End at Hermit Creek for the hike out Hermit.

Amazing story about the proposal! There's no moon this weekend so the stats should be out.
    • odd man out wrote:

My Grand Canyon adventure nearly got derailed by Covid. After two years of being very careful, I came down with Covid early last week. Felt crummy and had a 102 fever for a couple days. Had a positive home test and also one at the university. But symptoms went away pretty quickly and I am supposedly good to go. It seems you are most contagious for a few days before and after your onset of symptoms. After your symptoms are gone for a few days, isolation is no longer necessary. So I will be off the grid for a while. Mrs OMO is still not convinced this is a good idea. She seems pretty convinced there's a good chance I won't return. At least the will is up to date.
      lots and lots of pictures, please
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • odd man out wrote:

It's been a few of years since I've been able to take a multi day backpacking trip so I'm maybe a little less confident than usual. I'll admit the specs on this one (last day is 8 horizontal and nearly 1 vertical mile) has me a bit spooked.yes, it's on.
      Glad you're getting over the virus.

I had an altimeter watch the last time we hiked the GC. I very annoyingly gave updates -- only 4,000 feet to go, only 3,900 feet to go, etc -- until I thot I might get pushed into the canyon. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Firming up my plans...

I'm flying up to Boston in August to hike up to Carter Notch via the 19-Mile Brook Trail and doing an overnight to get to Route 2 / Gorham. Lots of travel for ~25 miles of AT hiking but it's what I do for fun. ^^

The spring hike north from Winding Stair Gap got pushed to September. My wife agreed to be our shuttler for the week. We'll rent an Airbnb somewhere near Fontana Dam and she'll drop Sox and I off at Winding Stair Gap. I may have her pick me up at the NOC for a night in a bed or maybe just to meet us for dinner. Same thing for when we reach Fontana Dam. Then she can pick us up in Newfound Gap at the end of the week. One must for the Airbnb is a hot tub. :thumbup:
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Having done no backpacking in a few years and never anything close to this magnitude, I was speculating at the South Kaibab Trailhead which body part would fail first, resulting in a trek-ending incident. I had it narrowed down to infected toenail, blisters, twisted ankle, blown knee or hip, leg muscle fatigue, back muscle spasms, shoulder pain (muscle, tendon, and/or joint), brain fog, or internal organ failure due to electrolyte imbalance/dehydration. Turns out it was none of these or any other. It never occurred to me I would have zero issues, other than the expected fatigue from today's 8.2 miles hike with an elevation gain of 3600 ft carrying 3.5 L of water. Later I'll post a complete trip report.
    • I have a 16.8 mile gap to fill on the PCT in the High Sierra, Cottonwood Pass to Crabtree Meadows. This gap exists because I am weak and I could not push through a previous section and it has been eating away at me!

So, I snagged a 'Whitney Exit' permit for next week, so I could make a nice little hike. But I am feeling guilty about by carbon footprint. Should I fly across county for this short little jaunt? No matter how I fill it, there will be logistics problems. Just mad at myself for creating this situation.

My other section in the spring fell short. Completed CA section 'E' in the desert, but now I need to head back for section 'F' in Spring 2023. In some ways the thrus have it easier, not that I can do what they do.

John Greenleaf Whittier