Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Almost met Nimblewill Nomad

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Almost met Nimblewill Nomad

I don't think I mentioned this before but Kathy and I almost met Nimblewill Nomad when we did our river to river hike this summer. We finished up at NY's Bear Mountain State Park in the late afternoon. There was a huge car show going on in the parking lot and we wandered around looking at all the different cars, even found an old friend who had entered his old VW Vanagon van. When we finally got back to where we had parked it was early evening and we decided not to drive home but instead find a local motel to spend the night. Driving north on route 9W we found a small, but nice motel that had room for us. I think it was called The Bear Mountain Bridge Motel. It was just 5 rooms and was located on the same property as the owner's house. While we were checking in the proprietor asked us to sign his hikers log ( I'm not sure how he knew, was it our look or smell that gave us away ? ) Anyway Nimblewill Nomad had stayed there just a couple of days before . Now there's a guy I'd love to have a conversation with. Nimblewill is doing a Bama to Baxter thru hike this year. You can see his posts Anyway I can recommend this small, but nice, motel if you ever find yourself in the area. Here's the motel's info .
    • LIhikers wrote:

I don't think I mentioned this before but Kathy and I almost met Nimblewill Nomad when we did our river to river hike this summer. We finished up at NY's Bear Mountain State Park in the late afternoon. There was a huge car show going on in the parking lot and we wandered around looking at all the different cars, even found an old friend who had entered his old VW Vanagon van. When we finally got back to where we had parked it was early evening and we decided not to drive home but instead find a local motel to spend the night. Driving north on route 9W we found a small, but nice motel that had room for us. I think it was called The Bear Mountain Bridge Motel. It was just 5 rooms and was located on the same property as the owner's house. While we were checking in the proprietor asked us to sign his hikers log ( I'm not sure how he knew, was it our look or smell that gave us away ? ) Anyway Nimblewill Nomad had stayed there just a couple of days before . Now there's a guy I'd love to have a conversation with. Nimblewill is doing a Bama to Baxter thru hike this year. You can see his posts Anyway I can recommend this small, but nice, motel if you ever find yourself in the area. Here's the motel's info .
      I stayed there back in 2015. The guy who ran it then was German.

I also just missed Nimblewill Nomad by one day when I stayed at Bears Den this summer. I believe at least MountainMike had a chance to meet him.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I did get to meet him while shuttling him while he stayed at Angel's Rest. It was both an honor & a pleasure. We amused the other hikers with our tales of hiking the AT 25+ years ago. How we had UL tents, they just weighed 5 lbs. back then. He has invited me down to Flagg Mt where he is a caretaker & told me I should hike the Pinhoti Trail.