Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

New Shoes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• After four years, my little toes had poked holes out the sides of my old Saucony Peregrines, so I thought I was due for a new pair of trail runners.
      I thought the tread on the Peregrines were a little aggressive for everyday use (these are not just for hiking), so I went to our local shoe store and found they carried most of the top brands of running shoes. I looked at a number of reviews and surveys, and it seems that these days, the most popular and well reviewed trail runners are Altra Lone Peak, Hoka Speedgoat, Salomon XA Pro, and Brooks Cascadia. I had already decided not to go with the Peregrines again and the store didn't carry Salomon. They didn't have the Lone Peak from Altra, but they did have the Timps. I had had Lone Peaks before and thought they very generous toe box, while comfy, didn't provide enough support on side slopes. So I tried on the Timps, Speedgoats, and Cascadia. Both the Timps and Speedgoats were uncofortable on the top of my feet. The Timps didn't seem to have a deep enough heel cup for my bony heal. The Speedgoats had an odd sole that curved up in the front so you kind of rocked off the shoe. It's one of those things I suppose you would get used to but felt odd on first try. Of the three, I like the Cascadia the best so that's what I ended up with. Now I'm wondering if I sould have tried on the Salomons before buying. I hate buyer's remorse.
    • I have been wearing Brooks Cascadia for at least 7 years now. So I guess you could say they work for me. :)
      Have multiple "new" pairs in the closet, so will be wearing them for years to come. Buy them when on clearance for sometimes half price. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I just ordered myself a new pair of shoes from REI. This past summer on our river to river hike the Oboz Sawtooth II shoes I wore self destructed. I was surprised as I've been wearing Oboz for years, with good success. I just ordered a pair of Oboz Tamaracks. I ordered Oboz again because they've always fit my feet well and I've always gotten good mileage out of each pair, except for these last ones. I'm hoping that the failure of the last pair is a one off event. Even though my knee isn't ready for any real hiking, REI was having a labor day sale and I saved some money over the usual prices.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I just ordered myself a new pair of shoes from REI. This past summer on our river to river hike the Oboz Sawtooth II shoes I wore self destructed. I was surprised as I've been wearing Oboz for years, with good success. I just ordered a pair of Oboz Tamaracks. I ordered Oboz again because they've always fit my feet well and I've always gotten good mileage out of each pair, except for these last ones. I'm hoping that the failure of the last pair is a one off event. Even though my knee isn't ready for any real hiking, REI was having a labor day sale and I saved some money over the usual prices.
      Hopefully the last pair was just a lemon.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

I just ordered myself a new pair of shoes from REI. This past summer on our river to river hike the Oboz Sawtooth II shoes I wore self destructed. I was surprised as I've been wearing Oboz for years, with good success. I just ordered a pair of Oboz Tamaracks. I ordered Oboz again because they've always fit my feet well and I've always gotten good mileage out of each pair, except for these last ones. I'm hoping that the failure of the last pair is a one off event. Even though my knee isn't ready for any real hiking, REI was having a labor day sale and I saved some money over the usual prices.
      I too have worn Oboz Sawtooth for several years and they need replacing. I would rather not have to shop around for something different as I like these. Those tend to be my winter shoes. The trail runners are my summer shoes. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need waterproof insulted boots to get through a Michigan Winter.