Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

We Suck

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I did some recreational statistics the other day. The Q: Are the Detroit sports teams as bad as we think they are? So I took the final standings for MLB, NFL, NBA, and NHL from the last complete (i.e. pre-Covid) season and ranked them from high to low winning % (points for NHL). Team were given a score from 0 to 100 equal to the % of the other teams whose record was worse. I then averaged the score for all teams from each metropolitan area having more than one team (e.g. SF, Oakland, and San Jose were all averaged together, as were New York, Brooklyn, and New Jersey). Cities with only one team were thrown out (sorry Sa Diego).

The results: Indeed, Detroit came out the suckiest by a good margin with its teams being on average better than only 16.2% of the other teams in their leagues. Cincinnati was second suckiest at 19.0% but with only two teams, it's arguably easier to suck. Miami (also with 4 teams) and Charlotte were both about 25%. All others were above 31%. At the top was TB and SF tied at 70.5%, Boston at 74., Milwaukee at 82.8%, and Houston at 84.6%. Boston and SF were highest among the 11 cities with at least one team in each league.
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

And there's honor in losing honestly than winning dishonestly.
      Definitely. We had Jet's Pizza just the other day. Detroit also has its own hot dog style (Cony Dog with Greek Chili -go figure) which is also widely available on our side of the state.
      Costco started selling Motor City frozen pizza in our region last year and people are going nutzo over it.
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

where's Astro?
      Nothing more dishonest with the Astros than any other MLB team. Except perhaps more honest since not hypocrites like a lot of others. MLB knew what every team was doing (just like steroids and spider tack now). Only reasons Astros got bad publicity and lost draft picks was because Mike Fiers didn't make the 2017 playoff roster and Lunhow did not renew his contract for 2018. As simple as that.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • If you have tried to book a place to stay, rent-a-car, or flight this summer you know that the vacation starved masses are letting loose and you had better have made your reservations early.

So when others Zig, the Stimpsons Zag :) Our destination at the end of this summer is Detroit! Looking forward to the Henry Ford Museum, Institute of Art, a Tigers game, Motown Records, and hopefully seeing a city undergoing an urban renaissance. Got a place in walking distance from the Eastern Market and the Founders brew pub :)

After 5 days downtown, we will drive across the peninsula to Benton Harbor for a wedding.

On the sad side this is not shaping up to be a hiking summer for me.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

If you have tried to book a place to stay, rent-a-car, or flight this summer you know that the vacation starved masses are letting loose and you had better have made your reservations early.

So when others Zig, the Stimpsons Zag :) Our destination at the end of this summer is Detroit! Looking forward to the Henry Ford Museum, Institute of Art, a Tigers game, Motown Records, and hopefully seeing a city undergoing an urban renaissance. Got a place in walking distance from the Eastern Market and the Founders brew pub :)

After 5 days downtown, we will drive across the peninsula to Benton Harbor for a wedding.

Made a Tigers game with my wife and son. Still look forward to getting to the Henry Ford museum someday. :)

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• IMScotty wrote:

If you have tried to book a place to stay, rent-a-car, or flight this summer you know that the vacation starved masses are letting loose and you had better have made your reservations early.

Detroit is only a 3 hr drive from us (we are in SW MI) but we rarely go there. During the pandemic we did a number of "staycations", trying to see some the the major attractions we've never (or rarely) been too in the 35 yes we've lived here. So we did the Ford Museum, the Institute of Art, and Buddy's (the original Detroit Pizza place) this past year. Previously we've been to Greenfield Village, the outdoor living history museum of many historic buildings adjacent to the Ford Museum (also worth a visit). We have not yet made it to Motown or the Tigers (or Red Wings, Lions, or Pistons - why bother? we suck).

Of course you know that Founders is really a Grand Rapids brewery. Stop here if you want to see the original. I had my first Dirty Bastard at their original north side location. It's much better on tap than in the bottle. If you are interested in a beer tour, you must come to SW MI. Founders, Bell's, Hop Cat, and New Holland are probably the best known, but there are dozens of others. experiencegr.com/things-to-do/beer-city/

Picture Key: Groot is from a special exhibit at the Ford Museum of costumes used in MCU movies. They also have wheeled vehicle (duh) such as the Rosa Parks Bus and the original Mustang (i.e. serial #1). The most famous works at the DIA are Rivera Labor Murals, They also have a Vincent self portrait.

• max.patch wrote:

odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Definitely. We had Jet's Pizza just the other day. Detroit also has its own hot dog style (Cony Dog with Greek Chili -go figure) which is also widely available on our side of the state.
      Costco started selling Motor City frozen pizza in our region last year and people are going nutzo over it.
      If Esquire says it's hot, then it must be true.

esquire.com/food-drink/a26242751/best-detroit-style-pizza/
    • rhjanes wrote:

Where did Dallas rank?
      We also have a WNBA team. And the Frisco's Rough Riders.
      So what constitutes "major league sports"? I have updated the calculations to include both the WNBA and MLS. If there is another league pretending to be a major league (I'm talking to you CFL) I'm not interested. I also lumped all the Tennessee and Carolina teams together.

Here is the complete list.

CitySuckiness
      Detroit16.2%
      Cincinnati19.0%
      Miami24.4%
      Montreal31.1%
      Phoenix32.2%
      Cleveland33.9%
      Dallas34.9%
      Chicago37.1%
      Carolina38.1%
      Indianapolis39.4%
      New York41.3%
      Denver41.5%
      Buffalo42.2%
      Atlanta43.5%
      Kansas City47.1%
      Pittsburgh48.5%
      Los Angeles51.3%
      Baltimore51.7%
      Tennessee51.8%
      Washington55.5%
      New Orleans55.5%
      Minnesota56.2%
      Seattle56.7%
      Toronto58.4%
      Philadelphia59.3%
      Las Vegas61.4%
      Houston63.4%
      Portland63.6%
      San Francisco63.6%
      Boston65.1%
      St. Louis66.1%
      Tampa Bay70.5%
      Salt Lake71.3%
      Milwaukee82.8%
    • odd man out wrote:

If Esquire says it's hot, then it must be true.
      esquire.com/food-drink/a26242751/best-detroit-style-pizza/
      Yes, had my first Detroit Style pizza locally this past year. There is a place in Swampscot, MA that makes a great Detroit style pizza.

Of the many pizza styles, I think a New Haven (CT) 'Apizza' is the height of the art form (outside of an actual trip to Italy). But one out of ten pies I enjoy changing it up with a Detroit pizza. I'm looking forward to the real thing on my trip.

By the way Detroit Pizza > Chicago Pizza.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • How long does it take to go thru "The Ford"?

There is also a neat "Ford" place, the Piquette Ave plant. Where old Henry 1 and his buddies designed and started building the Model-T. BEFORE he did the moving assembly line. Last I heard they had a few "T's" in there that had been built there, like T number 3.
      The "First" Mustang is also subject to debate within us Mustangers. Ford has "Pilot" plants and lines. Where they see what will work before they convert over the BIG assembly lines. These cars get a serial number and are SUPPOSED to eventually be crash tested or otherwise destroyed. Whoops. Seems a few serial numbers are still around that were Pilot cars BEFORE this one was built. It's all open to debate.

fordpiquetteplant.org/

DFW is 7th from the bottom.....must not have the latest numbers from Our Texas Rangers factored in........
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork

The post was edited 1 time, last by rhjanes ().

• With a fumble near the end of the game Detroit tried their best to suck once again today. They allowed the Vikings to score a last minute TD erasing the Lion's lead.

But then with less than 2 minutes left, the Lions drove the length the field to score a TD. Lions WIN!

I'm glad that OMO has something to celebrate today :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • The Athletic even sent out an email...

<snip>

Let’s conduct an old-fashioned exercise of winners and losers:

Winners

Detroit: The Lions (2-11-1) pulled off the day’s most stunning result -- Sunday marked the first day when both the Lions and Pistons have won since 2017. Congrats, Detroit sports fans?
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• While the Lions seem to have crawled up to the level of respectability, the Tigers find ways to set new standards of suckyness.

Yesterday they accomplished something that no other team has ever accomplished. They struck out 12 batters, gave up less than three hits, and allowed no earned runs...

And lost.
    • odd man out wrote:

OK, so Lions beat KC in KC on opening day while the refs let KC cheat. I may have to recalculate my sickness index.
      Tigers have some young talent. Might break loose in a year or two, like the Cincinnati Reds this year.
      Always too helps to be in the Central inteaed of the East or West with the excess money of the teams on the coasts.
    • Low penalty game. 3 I think was it? Wondering why you saw with the comment about letting KC cheat.
      I was surprised at how well the Lions played. KC was also down a few weapons.
      We are awaiting the Dallas game on Sunday. Here in DFW, the sport casters declare the 'Boys as Super Bowl bound, if not the champs, as soon as the prior years SB finishes.
      So far we got the owner and GM in trouble over impropriety charges, we had a few holding out, we had one or two players in jail during pre-season. So SNAFU.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Low penalty game. 3 I think was it? Wondering why you saw with the comment about letting KC cheat.
      I was surprised at how well the Lions played. KC was also down a few weapons.
      We are awaiting the Dallas game on Sunday. Here in DFW, the sport casters declare the 'Boys as Super Bowl bound, if not the champs, as soon as the prior years SB finishes.
      So far we got the owner and GM in trouble over impropriety charges, we had a few holding out, we had one or two players in jail during pre-season. So SNAFU.
      For sure if KC played better they win. They had a lot of dropped passes. Had the Lions lost to a last minute game winning drive it would be 1. Unexpected but 2. Still considered a positive outcome.

google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.a…tart-roasted-chiefs-lions
    • rhjanes wrote:

Alexa sez... :)

Alexa -- Give me a football burn.

If the Dallas Cowboys are America's Team then I guess they'll be watching the Super Bowl at home like the rest of America.
      2,000 miler