Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

5 Shorter Thru-Hikes in 2021

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• There are also lots of great, shorter trails in the SE.

I like to make goals that are attainable within a relatively short time, like 1-2 years. At my age, committing to section hike the AT would consume the rest of my hiking life. Hiking the same trail for the next 10 years sounds boring, but hiking and completing a bunch of shorter trails is exciting!
      Lost in the right direction.
    • AT has it's strongpoints....mostly it's super easy to plan, super easy to hike logistically. I can understand hiking AT once.......but not spending a lifetime on it when there's so many more spectacular remote places.

CT is still uncrowded. Somehow. Probably because easy resupplies are fairly far apart for simplest as you go hiking. 70-100 mi. It gets a bit more complicated for those that can't hike 15-20 mpd.

I resupplied in breck (104 mi carry), twin lakes(74), Salida (78), lake city (100), and Silverton (54), last leg to Durango was (74).

So 10 mpd hikers......got extra challenges. Probably what keeps numbers low. Even though there's lots of road crossings....not a lot of traffic to hitch. Towns aren't 2 mi away....they are 10-40 mi away for more resupplies.

If you can score a permit, the JMT is still something you will always treasure. The Sierra is simply spectacular. Jmt is great introduction to some great parts.

The post was edited 5 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• Trying for the best of a variety this summer. Bartram Trail (116 miles) in June, last 167 miles of AT in July, followed by Colorado Trail Collegiate Loop (153 miles).

At least that is the current plan. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I do love the AT and plan on hiking more of it. It’s great to pick and choose sections based on certain criteria, not because I have to complete all the miles.

I’ve been thinking about filling in some gaps and stringing some sections together so I’ve been more mindful about starting and stopping places.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Muddywaters wrote:

AT has it's strongpoints....mostly it's super easy to plan, super easy to hike logistically. I can understand hiking AT once.......but not spending a lifetime on it when there's so many more spectacular remote places.
      I have thought that if I got the chance to do a long distance hike, I would start with a month or two on the AT to get in shape, but then move on to other trails for variety. I see no point in thru hiking.
    • Astro wrote:

Includes the Crown Jewels of the Triple Crown (LT, CT, JMT) along with Arizona Trail and Wonderland Trail.

thetrek.co/shorter-thru-hikes-for-2021/
      All Great Hikes here. I think of all the people who say I would love to Thru-hike the AT, but cannot afford to take 6 months off (I have been one of them). What are they waiting for? A one-month hike on any one of these trails will create a lifetime of memories.

As you know my JMT hike (As Muddy pointed out, it is just spectacular) has turned into a PCT section hike quest. I might never finish it at 2 weeks per year, but I am having fun trying. And the PCT seems diverse enough to me that each section has its own personality, so it has not gotten boring in any way.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Astro wrote:

Includes the Crown Jewels of the Triple Crown (LT, CT, JMT) along with Arizona Trail and Wonderland Trail.

thetrek.co/shorter-thru-hikes-for-2021/
      All Great Hikes here. I think of all the people who say I would love to Thru-hike the AT, but cannot afford to take 6 months off (I have been one of them). What are they waiting for? A one-month hike on any one of these trails will create a lifetime of memories.
      As you know my JMT hike (As Muddy pointed out, it is just spectacular) has turned into a PCT section hike quest. I might never finish it at 2 weeks per year, but I am having fun trying. And the PCT seems diverse enough to me that each section has its own personality, so it has not gotten boring in any way.

I think 3-4 weeks is perfect hike length.
      You don't get burnt out , wore out
      Excessive weight loss doesn't become a threat
      You are ready for an extended break
      You can schedule and plan it to the day basically with a couple of maildrops if you like.
      As soon as your home a few days your planning the next trip.
    • odd man out wrote:

Wondering about the High Sierra Trail. Would that be an even shorter alternative to the JMT?
      I read Walking With Wired's journal of the HST a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like a great trail with a couple alternate routes. The routes cross each other everyday if I remember right. I like the option of alternate routes as I'd pick the lower route most of the time because the older I get, the more I hate heights and exposure.
      It's a hard trail to figure out where to leave your car and figuring out shuttles. She hiked in from the Meadow after finishing the Sierra High Route. So she only had to hitch to her car, which was closer to the end. The shuttle is 4 hours
    • Dmax wrote:

odd man out wrote:

Wondering about the High Sierra Trail. Would that be an even shorter alternative to the JMT?
      I read Walking With Wired's journal of the HST a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like a great trail with a couple alternate routes. The routes cross each other everyday if I remember right. I like the option of alternate routes as I'd pick the lower route most of the time because the older I get, the more I hate heights and exposure.It's a hard trail to figure out where to leave your car and figuring out shuttles. She hiked in from the Meadow after finishing the Sierra High Route. So she only had to hitch to her car, which was closer to the end. The shuttle is 4 hours
      The Sierra High Route is different from the High Sierra Trail. The HST is an established trail that crosses SNP from the Giant Forest to Whitney Portal. The Sierra High Route is an unofficial route that follows the Sierra Nevada, mostly off trail. A bit more hard core. Shuttles for the HST are definitely all challenge. You would want to hike w to e, so I would park at Whitney Portal and use public transportation to the other side. Might take a couple of days. A shuttle would cost a fortune.
    • odd man out wrote:

Dmax wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I read Walking With Wired's journal of the HST a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like a great trail with a couple alternate routes. The routes cross each other everyday if I remember right. I like the option of alternate routes as I'd pick the lower route most of the time because the older I get, the more I hate heights and exposure.It's a hard trail to figure out where to leave your car and figuring out shuttles. She hiked in from the Meadow after finishing the Sierra High Route. So she only had to hitch to her car, which was closer to the end. The shuttle is 4 hours
      The Sierra High Route is different from the High Sierra Trail. The HST is an established trail that crosses SNP from the Giant Forest to Whitney Portal. The Sierra High Route is an unofficial route that follows the Sierra Nevada, mostly off trail. A bit more hard core. Shuttles for the HST are definitely all challenge. You would want to hike w to e, so I would park at Whitney Portal and use public transportation to the other side. Might take a couple of days. A shuttle would cost a fortune.
      I had forgotten that Wired got a shuttle to Whitney Portal. Wired parked at Roads End and hiked the SHR then went and did the HST westbound since it would be an easier hitch back to her car. From there it was a four hour hitch to the car. After rereading it's about a seven hour hitch to get to Whitney portal, ouch. That's seven if your lucky.
      She Knicks out the trails. When she got done with the HST she headed to the Wind River High Routeand then drove back and did the Kings Canyon High Basin Route all in the same year. Amazing!

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dmax ().

• Best way to do HST is to fly and use public transportation.

Fly into Fresno/yosemite, bus to Visalia, Sequoia shuttle into park, hike west to east, hitch to lone pine from the portal, bus to Reno, fly home.

If you got the time, HST only takes a few days, spend a few days in yosemite first. Can do a hike there, then the HST, and have a nice 2 weeks trip.

HST is decent if youve never been to seki, and is a good way to summit Whitney, since those few choices are hard to come by. I wouldnt consider it to be an alternative to jmt.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Muddywaters ().

• I really want to go to SEKI. Looking at the maps, it looks as if you could put together a good week long loop from the west side. Plus I would want to spend a day day hiking in the Giant Forest. I love the giant sequoias I was there on a day trip in 1970 and to Yosemite about 10 years ago. As I recall, there is one back country sequoia grove where camping is allowed. That would be worthwhile seeking out. Don't recall which one. I think is is on the south wesr side.
    • odd man out wrote:

I really want to go to SEKI. Looking at the maps, it looks as if you could put together a good week long loop from the west side. Plus I would want to spend a day day hiking in the Giant Forest. I love the giant sequoias I was there on a day trip in 1970 and to Yosemite about 10 years ago. As I recall, there is one back country sequoia grove where camping is allowed. That would be worthwhile seeking out. Don't recall which one. I think is is on the south wesr side.

Problem is with public transport, only goes to giant forest area. For remote trailheads like roads end, you need vehicle. Maps are misleading, SEKI is big.
    • Muddywaters wrote:

odd man out wrote:

I really want to go to SEKI. Looking at the maps, it looks as if you could put together a good week long loop from the west side. Plus I would want to spend a day day hiking in the Giant Forest. I love the giant sequoias I was there on a day trip in 1970 and to Yosemite about 10 years ago. As I recall, there is one back country sequoia grove where camping is allowed. That would be worthwhile seeking out. Don't recall which one. I think is is on the south wesr side.
      Problem is with public transport, only goes to giant forest area. For remote trailheads like roads end, you need vehicle. Maps are misleading, SEKI is big.
      and some of the best loop options also seem to be out of mineral king, which also requires a car. I've heard there you have to wrap your car in Tyvek to protect it from the Marmots.