Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Where to go for 10 to 12 days

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Where to go for 10 to 12 days

An opportunity has presented itself for me to go hiking for 10-12 days starting around April 5. I need to finish NH and start ME but I doubt that the weather and trail conditions would cooperate - what do you think?
      I could always re-hike some other part of the AT. Or maybe hike on the BMT or any other trail???? I will be fully vaccinated.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

An opportunity has presented itself for me to go hiking for 10-12 days starting around April 5. I need to finish NH and start ME but I doubt that the weather and trail conditions would cooperate - what do you think?
      I could always re-hike some other part of the AT. Or maybe hike on the BMT or any other trail???? I will be fully vaccinated.
      JJ. why not start your section hike of the PCT?

Campo to Idyllwild would be 177 miles. Twelve 15 mile days with two days for travel. You could stop at the Paradise Cafe and get a ride into Idyllwild if your pace is slower. April should be the perfect time for that section. Of course you will be in the PCT bubble, but everywhere is a camping spot (after the first day) so you can still have all the solitude you desire.

No way would I consider the Whites in April (or May, or even June). :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

JJ. why not start your section hike of the PCT?
      Campo to Idyllwild would be 177 miles. Twelve 15 mile days with two days for travel. You could stop at the Paradise Cafe and get a ride into Idyllwild if your pace is slower. April should be the perfect time for that section. Of course you will be in the PCT bubble, but everywhere is a camping spot (after the first day) so you can still have all the solitude you desire.

No way would I consider the Whites in April (or May, or even June). :)
      Permitting might be a problem. I'm leaning towards the Grand Canyon. I had a permit last year and because it was cancelled they offered me preferential treatment for another- not sure how long it's good for. Gee I hate airports and flying though.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Permitting might be a problem. I'm leaning towards the Grand Canyon. I had a permit last year and because it was cancelled they offered me preferential treatment for another- not sure how long it's good for. Gee I hate airports and flying though.
      Well, the Grand Canyon would be great. Are you thinking rim-to-rim?

I do not believe you would need any permits at all for that PCT section. The only issue I believe is that without a permit there are camping restrictions until you get to the Lake Morena Campground (18.6 miles). Most people do that their first day anyway. It is mostly rolling hills along the way.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Well, the Grand Canyon would be great. Are you thinking rim-to-rim?
      I do not believe you would need any permits at all for that PCT section. The only issue I believe is that without a permit there are camping restrictions until you get to the Lake Morena Campground (18.6 miles). Most people do that their first day anyway. It is mostly rolling hills along the way.
      Really can't do a R2R until mid May when the North Rim opens- no shuttle back- and I know I'm not up for a R2R2R. I'm thinking take the BA to Inspiration Point and then some camping on the Tonto. Maybe even take the Tonto around to the Hermit and out or reverse that.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • The Laurel Highlands Trail in PA was nice but only about 70 something miles. The C+O Canal Trail, 185 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD, was very easy walking but had a lot of history along the way to learn about. Plus resupply was super easy. Then there's the Great Allegheny Passage, Cumberland to Pittsburgh.................
    • I always try to get out for a week in spring, but save big trip for later in year

It's time to start thinking about it for me too. I got a end of March deadline I'm gonna have to bust arse to meet.....then I will deserve a little break.

Started running this week again to get back in shape. Dec-feb it's usually too dark, cold, or wet to run in evenings. I thought I'd bike ride this time.....nope....too dark, cold, or wet to do that too. Sometimes all 3 at same time. Now that it's warm and light at 530 pm.....can run again.
    • LIhikers wrote:

The Laurel Highlands Trail in PA was nice but only about 70 something miles. The C+O Canal Trail, 185 miles from DC to Cumberland, MD, was very easy walking but had a lot of history along the way to learn about. Plus resupply was super easy. Then there's the Great Allegheny Passage, Cumberland to Pittsburgh.................
      I think of you every time I cross under the Laurel Highlands Trail on the PA Turnpike.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Muddywaters wrote:

I always try to get out for a week in spring, but save big trip for later in year

It's time to start thinking about it for me too. I got a end of March deadline I'm gonna have to bust arse to meet.....then I will deserve a little break.

Started running this week again to get back in shape. Dec-feb it's usually too dark, cold, or wet to run in evenings. I thought I'd bike ride this time.....nope....too dark, cold, or wet to do that too. Sometimes all 3 at same time. Now that it's warm and light at 530 pm.....can run again.
      And a week from now we pick up another hour of daylight in the evening. :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Muddywaters wrote:

I always try to get out for a week in spring, but save big trip for later in year

I desperately need to get moving again too. This morning was suppose to be the day I start daily walks again, but when I got up it was 19 degrees and windy, so I did something else instead. It has warmed up to 30 now, so my wife promises me in a bit she will join me. We will see.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Going to the Big Ditch. Got my hiking buddy Slingshot going with me!!! He's never been. Yeee hawwwww it should be a blast!!!
      The other day I read Walking With Wired's journal of her Hayduke Trail thru hike. Those that hike the Hayduke hitchhike twice at the bottom of the canyon. Their notes tell them when is the best time to get to the river to try and catch a ride to the other side. Certain beaches are the best spot to catch the rafters headed down the Colorado River to hitch a ride to the other side. I've read a few journals about the Hayduke through the canyon and everyone has had an easy hitch at the bottom. That's just too cool !!
      JJ! If you get a chance, watch "Into The Grand Canyon". It's a movie about two guys that hike under the rim the whole length of the canyon.