Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Is REI getting too big?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I like REI, but a lot of what's in the store is just the latest high fashion to me. Who needs $200+ sunglasses? I cringe if I pay over $20. The lenses on a $20 filter harmful rays as good as the $250 pair, and besides I know it's just a matter of time before I sit on mine. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I like REI, but a lot of what's in the store is just the latest high fashion to me. Who needs $200+ sunglasses? I cringe if I pay over $20. The lenses on a $20 filter harmful rays as good as the $250 pair, and besides I know it's just a matter of time before I sit on mine. :)
      I was going to basically say the same thing, except I'm using clothing as an example. Sometimes I'll pick up a t-shirt or long sleeved shirt and am shocked at the price. They must use thread make out of spun gold.
      2,000 miler
    • I have about $65.00 coming this year, I've been a member since 88. I need to touch and inspect my gear, so I do get plenty of stuff there. Every time I go up there I get at least one pair of socks and fuel canisters. I have in mind what I'll spend it on this time, but will have to get it by ordering it. I got my snow shoes last year, a bag for them, ordered. I did get the 450 Bear can there, as I wanted to hold it and inspect it. I got a new pair of Keen Targee IIIs, cause I aint buying shoes on line. The only clothes I ever buy come of the clearance rack. On a whim 2 years ago I touched the Flash 55 , I bought it.......I love it. They don't sell WM bags, Lightheart stuff, or diverse MSR or Sno Peak stuff so I have to go online.... but this is all quality gear so I have no worries about quality
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • The dividend is a bit different this year:

Each year, REI Co-op members receive a unique benefit—the REI member dividend—which is your share of REI’s profits of the last year. Since we didn’t earn a profit in 2020, we don’t have those profits to provide to members in the form of a dividend. Even though we didn’t make a profit last year, you’ll receive a member reward equivalent to what your dividend would have been: 10% back on your eligible full-price purchases in 2020. This will feel a lot like the dividend experience you’re used to, and you’ll see your total reward in your account on March 1.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I like REI, but a lot of what's in the store is just the latest high fashion to me. Who needs $200+ sunglasses? I cringe if I pay over $20. The lenses on a $20 filter harmful rays as good as the $250 pair, and besides I know it's just a matter of time before I sit on mine. :)
      I was going to basically say the same thing, except I'm using clothing as an example. Sometimes I'll pick up a t-shirt or long sleeved shirt and am shocked at the price. They must use thread make out of spun gold.
      Exactly! $80 for a short sleeve Merino wool t- shirt. I'm strictly clearance rack too on the clothes, that and Goodwill.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Been in rei stores 2 times
      Bought an Al pot in 1 for scouts, that's it.

I did order a sleeping pad from them once because of return policy.

They really have nothing I want.

I have a friend that works at the flagship store in denver. he's retired, second "career". I met him on the CT. He also had hiked the Camino.

None of his gear was from REI.......cottage gear, etc. I pointed that out to him.