Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

New Jetboil Stash

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• New Jetboil Stash

Any Jetboil users out there? I've been reading about the new Stash system that is to be released soon.
      It is a bit of a departure from previous Jetboil systems. It has a rather conventional looking gas stove and a pot with with a heat exchanger.
      The pot is anodized aluminum (120 g) and the stove is titanium (80 g) for a total weight of 200 g, not including the fuel/canister/canister stand.
      All for just $129 (ouch)

I am interested because I have always used an alcohol stove with an Olicamp XTS pot, which is very similar (anodized aluminum with heat exchanger).
      However the new Jetboil pot is a bit smaller (0.8 L vs 1.0 L) and lighter (120 g vs 183 g). I am happy with my system, except my pot is a bit bigger than I need and heavier than I like.
      The new Jetboil pot would be idea. Plus I have considered getting a gas stove to use when alcohol may not be the best choice (such as when prohibited by fire bans).
      But at $129, it seems a bit stiff. I could by a cheap stove to use with the Olicamp and probably get similar results for less $ but more grams.

jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/st…tems/stash-cooking-system
    • odd man out wrote:

Do you cook in the Jetboil pot, out use it only as a water boiler. I get the impression that Jetboil is marketed toward the latter.
      Just boil water because I do not want to deal with cleaning it (or anything else, I lick my spoon "clean"). I know some do cook in them. And my son still uses the 10 year old one, so they are durable. I just bought the Flash Lite because it was a few ounces lighter.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • After having done some test boils, I finally got around to cooking a meal in my Jetboil Stash/eCHS alcohol stove system. I used a dry tortilla soup mix from a specialty food store. Unlike most, this soup one didn't have too much salt (in fact it had no added salt, so I added a 1/4 tsp). The mix had dehydrated black beans, corn, other dry veggies, and spices. To this I added homemade dehydrated beef chorizo (from 1/2 lb of lean ground beef + 1/4 cup bread crumbs, cooked and dried in slow oven). I then added basmati rice to bring the total weight to 300 g, which is enough for two portions. My standard trail recipe is 150 grams of dehydrated food with 2 cups of water and a dollop of olive oil (this should come out to about 700 calories). Bring to boil, on flame out put in pot cozy, cook til done (15 to 20 minutes). I cooked one portion and saved the other for my upcoming Grand Canyon hike. I did the test outside on a cold windy day to confirm my system works in less-than-ideal weather. I found 20 mL methanol was just barely enough fuel to bring the pot to boil so I used another 5 mL of fuel to get a rolling boil. After 20 min in the pot cozy everything was well hydrated and hot. It tasted good, but was a little bland so I'll boost the seasonings in the other portion for the April hike. It was a little soupy so I may cut back on the water next time. That and better weather should make 20 mL of fuel adequate for the boil. The pot is the perfect size and shape for me. Two cups of water and 150 g of food filled it to the point where I could boil without spilling. I really like pots with a 1:1 diameter:height ratio like this one. I forgot to time the boil but it was probably around 4 min. Cozy kept it plenty hot for 20 min which was more than enough steeping time. Bad weather performance of the stove could not have been better. Next up is curry dal baht (lentils and rice).