Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Since We Last Spoke AT

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Since We Last Spoke AT

Spoiler alert -- he made it 1 mile on the AT (plus the 8.8 mile Approach Trail) before he went home.

I believe he'll try again, so I started this thread in case it gets interesting.

For all his planning, I don't think he knew where he was. He was talking about a major road 5 or 6 miles east. I'm not sure what he's talkiing about. There are some forest service roads that lead to lightly traveled paved roads that lead to major roads -- but he'd have to walk a heckuva longer way than he thinks. His other thought was hiking to the Enota Retreat. That's 50 AT miles N, and then you need to take a blue blaze a couple miles to get there. That makes no sense. Woody Gap is 20 AT miles away, is on a major road, and has a hostel 1 mile away. Neels Gap is 30 AT miles away. Of course the smartest thing to do (if he wasn't able to reconnect with his shuttler) would have been to retrace his steps and hike back to AFSP.

He also mentioned he was planning on hiking 3 trails this year and next. Triple crown? -- he didn't say. Now just the AT this year.

Seems like a decent guy who had some bad luck. Hope things work out better when he returns.
      2,000 miler
    • I couldn't watch that whole thing. I watched radom parts and the last 2 minutes. Geeeezzz that was an expensive shake down hike. I had an expensive three dayer few years back when I went to Vermont and tore my meniscus and had to go home.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I don't watch many hiking videos unless there is something compelling about them. And when I do ususally 5 minutes or so is my limit. I think this one grabbed my attention because I thot he might go home before he even reached the AT, and it takes place in the area of the AT that I know better than anyplace else. And ya have to have some compassion for the hiker that shits himself during the night and it is "everywhere" and then slips and falls on the ice as he makes a mad dash to the privy and hurts his hip.

He's coming back when it's warmer in mid-March :) so he won't need all his winter gear and can take his hammock instead of the tent. That might be his next surprise. It'll be warmer -- but it sure won't be "warm."

This poor guy had more issues than just cold weather -- but I really don't understand why people start a thru this time of year.
      2,000 miler
    • a) I didn't think Jack Black hiked
      b) no, his possibly frozen Sawyer didn't instantly cause stomach issues, the same day he used it. I didn't catch all what he had for diner the night he was at the lodge, I cut it off at 'a bag of beef jerky'.
      c) he wasn't ready for winter.
      d) I only watched snips of this
      e) I wish him well on the second try.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • My goodness, so much drama. A man who is clearly not comfortable being alone in the woods. Sounds like he had everything he needed to wait it out, slow down, hike forward (or at least walk back to where he started from), and instead he freaked out. I cannot tell where he ended up (except Ron was driving for a hundred miles :) good luck paying that bill :) )

Still, he owns up to his mistakes. Return in better weather, hike in the bubble, have some companions, get comfortable, walk on. Maybe there will be a better sequel to this initial attempt.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • The crapping his pants thing...

I looked up the incubation period for Norovirus, 12 hours is possible, but 24 - 48 is more likely. I do not think it was the water source or his Sawyer.

Food poisoning at the Lodge buffet (are they still doing buffet's ?) is a possibility.

But I think the most likely thing is he is just incredibly nervous. That could be the cause. He seems to be overthinking everything. Just chill man, its just 'A Walk in the Woods.'
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Why would someone without experience want to start in January?
      Other than Boy Scout leader training and camping I was a newb when I started the AT. But I tried to do a lot of research first (books, videos, online), even talking with a thru hiker. Then I started with 3 night trips over Thanksgiving and Spring Break when there were plenty of others around to observe. Also brought my 10 year old son along, so never alone, even when not a crowd.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Can't watch .

About 700 hopeful thrus each year dont make it out of GA.

Honestly.....I can't see how....hiking is pretty simple. Walk...eat....sleep.
      But, it's so. Yeah....even morbidly obese and very elderly can do it at 5 mpd.

Some people just don't have what it takes upstairs....somehow. Perhaps they don't really want to be there......just thought they did.

The only part of journals, books, I ever liked was seeing the hardships thru newbies eyes. By time they get to GSMNP they got it down, and book is boring.

Most people over plan and overthink hiking. Perhaps psych themselves out. It all falls into place once on trail. Walk X miles per day, Y days until next resupply. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Sometimes you'll be cold, sometimes hot, sometimes wet. Accept it. Dont forget to stop and look around and appreciate what's around you, how long it's been there.....what the world was like before man conquered it.....bulldozed it...how your predecessors lived in it.

The post was edited 4 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• I listened while researching some patterns and kept thinking, this guy is too concerned about other people knowing the details of his hike and isn’t focused on the hike itself. How many videos did he make compared to how many miles he hiked?

I guess it’s the times and social media. People think the world is clamoring to watch their experiences or they want to make money off those experiences.

Not trying to trash him...he seems personable and I can identify with his accident. I also know it’s fun to record and share those experiences but too many hikers these days have a social media agenda.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Video's and "Vblogging" and such. I'm on a FB group for 2021 AT hopeful's. It is AMAZING what some people ask. They don't seem to know that 99 percent of their questions are already in (pick one) a Trail Guide and/or Guthooks. And they are "Going out next week" (in the winter). And then all the sharing of YouTube, VBLOGS channels and such......mind numbing.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • rhjanes wrote:

Video's and "Vblogging" and such. I'm on a FB group for 2021 AT hopeful's. It is AMAZING what some people ask. They don't seem to know that 99 percent of their questions are already in (pick one) a Trail Guide and/or Guthooks. And they are "Going out next week" (in the winter). And then all the sharing of YouTube, VBLOGS channels and such......mind numbing.
      I'm a moderator in one of those and so is Elf
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference