Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Miles 2020

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hiking Miles 2020

How many miles did you hike in 2020? 8
        > 2,000 (0) 0%
        1,500 (0) 0%
        1,000 (0) 0%
        750 (2) 25%
        500 (0) 0%
        250 (2) 25%
        100 (1) 13%
        < 100 (3) 38%
      How many miles did you hike in 2020?
      • Please include all trails, not just the AT.
      • All miles hiked, not just new ones (I know some of some of us do a lot of out and backs, or local trails we hit hit often).
      • To make it look simpler I just put the levels, but 100 would be 100-249, 250 would be 250-499, etc..
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • 869; although to be totally transparent only 117 of those were what we consider to be hiking (AT, Kennesaw Mountain). The remaining 752 miles was walking (with day pack and single hiking pole) round and round my neighborhood or the rubberized walking track at the local soccer field. Anyone can feel free to mentally move my entry in the 750 category to the 100 category if they want to.

Someone once explained the difference between taking a hike and a walk -- a hike is when you look for a tree, a walk is when is when you look for a bathroom. That's a perfect explanation.
      2,000 miler
    • Not what I wanted to......

About 200 I think......

Life intervened and kept me from another 2 wk hike.....then it got cold/wet.

Maybe 2021 will be better......by next fall.

Not going to rule out a 200-300 mile hike in spring if can get away. Finally got sgt rocks bmt handbook....driving distance is where it's at still.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• Well.......I walk about 16 miles a week. But since it isn't something we always do, I used 12 miles and just 50 weeks. Some with a day-pack and doing 8 to 9 miles on that day, which is at LBJ National Grasslands. Another day, I hike 3 miles in the local forest trail, which I walk to. So......I counted all that.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • Dmax wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I don't have a clue. I don't make any effort to keep track of mileage.
      There needs to be a section for us to vote. I've never kept track either.
      ....not that hard.
      Actually harder not to.

If i hike half of a 300 mi trail.....well thats about 150

If i hike 3 days, probably 50 mi. A week...probably 100-120. Not knowing how far....means not knowing how many days hiking. I may not know exact...but I can ball park it. I track vacation and trips.......if stop to think. Usually recall 12 hr drives.

I recalls driving 12.5 hrs to VA last fall to hike....turning around and driving home due to hurricane threat....that sucked....in more ways than 1. Repeated that drive a few weeks later for some trail nights.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• I only had one overnight camping trip, three days on the Long Trail. I'm disappointed I did not do more and I put my self in the <100 category. Sure there were day hikes here and there, but nothing substantive.

The bright side is 2021 can only be better.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

I only had one overnight camping trip, three days on the Long Trail. I'm disappointed I did not do more and I put my self in the <100 category. Sure there were day hikes here and there, but nothing substantive.

The bright side is 2021 can only be better.
      But what a great place for a three day trip. I love Vermont, probably more than New Hampshire. I love the smells of the Vermont forests and the little country stores, and the great views of New Hampshire I dunno maybe I should go re-hike both of them.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Completed some training on a statistical software program called Minitab. My eyes were glazing over until we got to bar charts.

Finally... something to keep me entertained on those long winter days while I'm working from home. Time to work on improved labeling and color options.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Completed some training on a statistical software program called Minitab. My eyes were glazing over until we got to bar charts.

Finally... something to keep me entertained on those long winter days while I'm working from home. Time to work on improved labeling and color options.
      FWIW, I would recommend knocking out those NH/ME miles first, and the then the NC/TN.
      Tennessee Turnpike a whole lot easier than the Whites and Southern ME. :)
    • Held out a long time to cast my vote, but in the end stayed with my purest view of trails. Fitbit says I walked 2,342 miles last year, of which I know well over 1,000 were with a pack on. But due to COVID, many of those were around the neighborhood. So by keeping the strict view it gives me more incentive to get out on trails this year.
    • Astro wrote:

Held out a long time to cast my vote, but in the end stayed with my purest view of trails. Fitbit says I walked 2,342 miles last year, of which I know well over 1,000 were with a pack on. But due to COVID, many of those were around the neighborhood. So by keeping the strict view it gives me more incentive to get out on trails this year.
      Interesting. I checked my stats after reading this. As mentioned above, I walked/hiked 869 miles last year. Fitbit says I walked 2,119 miles last year.

Thats a lot of trips to the kitchen to get coffee and then a lot of trips to the bathroom to get rid of coffee. :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Held out a long time to cast my vote, but in the end stayed with my purest view of trails. Fitbit says I walked 2,342 miles last year, of which I know well over 1,000 were with a pack on. But due to COVID, many of those were around the neighborhood. So by keeping the strict view it gives me more incentive to get out on trails this year.
      Interesting. I checked my stats after reading this. As mentioned above, I walked/hiked 869 miles last year. Fitbit says I walked 2,119 miles last year.
      Thats a lot of trips to the kitchen to get coffee and then a lot of trips to the bathroom to get rid of coffee. :)
      How do you get the yearly total from Fitbit? Mine says I walk from 8,000 to 14,000 steps a day when I'm not on the trail. I just see a total for the day.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

Interesting. I checked my stats after reading this. As mentioned above, I walked/hiked 869 miles last year. Fitbit says I walked 2,119 miles last year.Thats a lot of trips to the kitchen to get coffee and then a lot of trips to the bathroom to get rid of coffee. :)
      How do you get the yearly total from Fitbit? Mine says I walk from 8,000 to 14,000 steps a day when I'm not on the trail. I just see a total for the day.
      They sent me an email on Jan 21 (Your Fitbit year in review) that had about a half dozen stats from last year in it. Did you get that?

They also send an email every week that links to your dashboard for the previous weeks stats.

If you're not getting those you probably need to update your account.

I just played around a bit with the app and it gives you weekly total for steps or miles. Worst case you could go thru that and add em all up.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

That's hilarious! Cof124
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

• Thanks Max. I thought those emails were just trying to sell me another Fitbit. I don't see the yearly total one, I probably deleted it.

Some are strictly marketing :( , but the weekly and yearly totals emails actually are a nice service. :)
      Found it in my trash bin. 1,586 miles! 3,526,304 steps, 42,239 steps in one day ( on my sobo LASH to McAfee)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference