Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Snow Skiing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I didnt read it

But obviously liftlines and chairlifts arent social distancing. If skier #s are down significantly, it would take care of itself. If they aren't, it will be a hellish experience to have lift lines many times longer than normal, in many places. $150/day to spend all day in line....thats basically disney world.
    • Muddywaters wrote:

I didnt read it

But obviously liftlines and chairlifts arent social distancing. If skier #s are down significantly, it would take care of itself. If they aren't, it will be a hellish experience to have lift lines many times longer than normal, in many places. $150/day to spend all day in line....thats basically disney world.
      Skiing is an outdoor sport with an excess of fresh air so done right it should be low-risk entertainment. As long as they keep the lift lines spread out and limit sharing chairs to family groups, it should be way safer than a trip to the grocery store. Where the harm comes in for the resorts will be the limits on in-door dining and drinking. I'm guessing that is where a lot of their profit is made. I am very worried about all the hospitality and retail businesses I see dying around me. I hope most these places can hold on.

There are enough small ski mountains up near me that you can always find an uncrowded slope somewhere. Just drive past the big boys at Loon, Attitash, or Killington and try some of the smaller resorts. Midweek is a great time to go skiing if you can get it off.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Just drive past the big boys at Loon, Attitash, or Killington and try some of the smaller resorts. Midweek is a great time to go skiing if you can get it off.
      I used to do an annual ski trip, but I don't think my knees don't want me to do that anymore. Eastern skiing doesn't compare to out west, but I enjoyed my 3 trips to Killington. Onr time we stayed at a condo nearby, and the others at The Inn on the Long Trail and Mountain Meadows Lodge -- places I discovered on the AT. And yes, at Killington we didn't attempt to ski on the weekends.
      2,000 miler
    • I never skied until I was maybe 35.......that is hockey season! But, my brother wanted to take it up with the wives....so we went. I asked a fellow ref who was a local HS ski club advisor for some pointers. He laughed and said " Lou, here are a few things to remember......and he related them to skating(which I can do better than walk)" Twice down the bunny slope and that was it gimme those Black Diamonds!!! For the next 2 years I skated down a few hills in New England. I can do it and like it alot, but it is a major deal getting involved....gear....travel to good snow...resort money. I really like to master things once I get involved....snow shoeing is kinda a no brainer, I would love to learn to Cross Country ski!
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • I've been downhill skiing once, but it was late in the season in PA so the "snow" was mostly like crushed ice. No matter which way I pointed my skis I would just go straight downhill, gaining speed until collision with the people in the lift line was imminent. I yelled and waved my arms, they scattered, and I sat down to make a reasonably controlled wipeout as to not kill anyone, except maybe me.

Since I now live in a state with lots of snow, trees, and people of Nordic descent but no mountains, cross country skiing and snow shoeing is the thing to do.
    • Growin up in south , I took to skiing late in life, in early 20s. I could never be as good as I want to be without spending a winter or three out west with a pass, and a lot more instruction. One or 2 weeks per yr dont cut it.

My kids learned at 3. Skied every yr until competive sports and high school prevnted it. High school only permits xmas or spring break......and spring sports play during spring break. I think we managed 2 out of 6 yrs kids were in high school. And none in college. Christmas is a horrible time to go skiing it's crowded , expensive, there's little snow and nothing steep is usually open.

Ive spent over $100,000 skiing. That's mind boggling. And that was a lot more money 20 plus years ago too. And I rarely flew I prefer to drive cuz it was cheaper. We did fly to Canada that would have been a long drive....

Probably getting old enough id get hurt now....but my kids are good skiers..... Spent a small fortune with them in ski school up through about 10 yo until they could ski with me. I can't say enough good things about the kids ski school at Taos , New Mexico. They don't babysit kids, they ski. In the trees, in the bumps, on steeps. Most of the instructors are long time that have been skiing their whole lives....not 18 yo kids just looking for a free ski pass.

r

The post was edited 5 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• I skied a lot as a kid until moving to TN in high school. When I was young we skied without ski poles and one time this southern lady (the first southern accent that I remember hearing and have never forgotten) said, “look at them girls, they ain’t got no sticks!” Lol!

I’ve never had a filling in my mouth except for a skiing accident when someone’s ski pole hit me in the mouth and chipped my front tooth. A few weeks ago I noticed the repair had fallen off and my front tooth has a chip in it again...sigh.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I skied a lot as a kid until moving to TN in high school. When I was young we skied without ski poles and one time this southern lady (the first southern accent that I remember hearing and have never forgotten) said, “look at them girls, they ain’t got no sticks!” Lol!

I’ve never had a filling in my mouth except for a skiing accident when someone’s ski pole hit me in the mouth and chipped my front tooth. A few weeks ago I noticed the repair had fallen off and my front tooth has a chip in it again...sigh.
      my front teeth have a few repairs. I walked into a tree down across the trail on the CT, face height......I'm looking down at the trail and so my hat bill kept me from seeing it......broke a big chunk out of a front tooth. That happened twice on the CT both times knocked me on my arse.
    • I tried once. I rented a snow board and hit the practice slope. I never could get the hang of it. I can waterski, skateboard and roller skate. So I figured I could easily learn the skis and I went and traded my board in for skis. Back to the practice slope I went. I did good and didn't have any problems. I knew I was a natural. Skiing was for me. So I made my way to the ski lift. On the way up I was nervous and the gentleman beside me could tell. He explained how to get off the lift when I was ready. Then a minute or two later he asked me why I didn't get off. Off? Where? Back there . Back there where? So I went to the top. Once off the lift I looked down the mountain. I looked nothing like my practice slope. This looked like it should be in the olympics. Well, I couldn't figure out how to stop. So instead of going straight down like everyone else, I ended up being that guy. You know, the guy that goes side to side and falling down before I hit the trees, then back the other way, just to fall down. Took a while to make it down. Still in one piece I practiced again. I had my stopping down. So I headed back up. This time getting off on the first available spot. It went worst than my first try. I ended up in a knee brace for three months. If it wasn't for hurting my knee I'd try it again. I had a blast!! Even with all the bruising, lol.
    • Dmax wrote:

I tried once. I rented a snow board and hit the practice slope. I never could get the hang of it. I can waterski, skateboard and roller skate. So I figured I could easily learn the skis and I went and traded my board in for skis. Back to the practice slope I went. I did good and didn't have any problems. I knew I was a natural. Skiing was for me. So I made my way to the ski lift. On the way up I was nervous and the gentleman beside me could tell. He explained how to get off the lift when I was ready. Then a minute or two later he asked me why I didn't get off. Off? Where? Back there . Back there where? So I went to the top. Once off the lift I looked down the mountain. I looked nothing like my practice slope. This looked like it should be in the olympics. Well, I couldn't figure out how to stop. So instead of going straight down like everyone else, I ended up being that guy. You know, the guy that goes side to side and falling down before I hit the trees, then back the other way, just to fall down. Took a while to make it down. Still in one piece I practiced again. I had my stopping down. So I headed back up. This time getting off on the first available spot. It went worst than my first try. I ended up in a knee brace for three months. If it wasn't for hurting my knee I'd try it again. I had a blast!! Even with all the bruising, lol.
      After after 2 days of lessons my third day on ski my GF and I decided to strike out on our own. instead of taking the easiest way down we had been shown before I decided to go down a somewhat steeper route..... This was still a green route........ The snow plow wedge did not work to slow me.... I continued to accelerate until I crashed into a big snow bank around a snowmaking gun. My life flashed before my eyes...... I thought I was going to be seriously hurt. ...

But by the fifth day I was making hockey stops and actually made my way down a black run without falling or getting hurt..... I was just wore out from trying to control my speed with poor form and limited tools.

Before we got home I was already looking and planning where else I could go again in a few weeks......i was hooked. Some years I made two trips out west, some years I made three. If I couldn't find anybody to go with, I went by myself, stayed in hostels, etc.
    • I was skiing with my sisters once in Colorado and one of them said, let's go to the top. I thought she meant the top of the mountain, she meant the top of the hill we were on. I took 3 or 4 lifts by myself to get to the top of the mountain...I was maybe 11 or 12? It seemed to take me hours to get down that mountain and some of those runs were black diamonds. I'd probably kill myself if I did that today.
      Lost in the right direction.