Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Anyone use Consumer Cellular?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Anyone use Consumer Cellular?

I'm currently a VZ user and pay $40.50 a month. I'm thinking of switching to CC at $28.00 a month, unlimited talk, text and 3 GB of data( currently 2 with VZ). CC uses T-Mobile and AT&T towers whose coverage looks a lot better than it used to and looks to be about 99% of VZ. Thought????
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Ha, I don't have a cell phone, but I have been paying for four phones for the rest of the family. I feel your pain.

My daughter recently switched hers out from Verizon to 'Google-Fi' since she is now stationed overseas and there was no way I way paying for Verizon's International plan. She said that is what many of the people she is stationed are are using. Looks pretty economical, but it is too early for me to tell how well it works.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Ha, I don't have a cell phone, but I have been paying for four phones for the rest of the family. I feel your pain.

My daughter recently switched hers out from Verizon to 'Google-Fi' since she is now stationed overseas and there was no way I way paying for Verizon's International plan. She said that is what many of the people she is stationed are are using. Looks pretty economical, but it is too early for me to tell how well it works.
      I use Google Fi and it works flawlessly domestically. (Being a belt and suspenders type I also have a Tracfone which I have only for emergecies).

My son is stationed in Europe and he talks to everyone in the States using FB Messenger or WhatsApp using wifi. The only problem with that is that the person you want to talk to has to have one of those apps on their phone -- but at his age group that's not a problem. They all have it. And before he left he told everyone to download em. Since he doesn't have an international plan I asked him if his phone was useless for calls in Europe. He said not at all -- almost all the businesses there near the base have the apps on their phones so they can do business with the military. And of course if someone doesn't have it it's an easy download to install. This won't work for everyone but it works for him and other military as long as you've got wifi.
      2,000 miler
    • OK. Here's my experience. I went to Target to sign up for CC. My number didn't immediately transfer over. They said it might take an hour. An hour later I was told it might take to 10 pm that night, but it would happen automatically. I left the store . 10 pm nothing. All weekend nothing. I called VZ to this morning to keep my service and they dropped my monthly fee from $40.50 to $25. Cheaper than CC and saving me $180/year. So kinda like cable companies, threaten to leave and they'll whack your fee to keep you. I have 5 GB of data and unlimited talk and text.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Maybe I should try that with my Verizon land line.
      Why not drop the land line? I got rid of ours 6 years ago and I haven't missed it a bit.
      What we're thinking of doing is seeing if we can transfer our land line phone number to a Trac Fone cell phone and leave that in the house.
      That would give us about a 12 fold savings and still have the phone number that most people know us by.