Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking plans 2021

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I got the official OK for my time off from work for this summer's hiking. Whoo Hoo, bring on the mountain. We already have reservations in Baxter State Park for August. I don't remember the dates off hand. We're also going to hike NY+NJ, Delaware river to Hudson river. While we've covered that stretch already it was as a bunch of day or one night trips. And while we're in New England I still need to get Wildcat D.
    • Took off from Thursday September 2nd through the 12th for a trip to New Hampshire. 1.5 days driving each way, but still enough time to get some hiking in. The rough plan is to cover Pinkham Notch to Route 2 over two days and to finish my orphan hike between Franconia Notch and the Gale River Trail over another two days. Not a lot of AT miles, but a good compromise with Mrs. Tortoise to combine vacation time with hiking time.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Pinkham Notch NH.
    • LIhikers wrote:

I was home from work yesterday, to wait for the Verizon repairman. I started getting stuff together for our hike that starts on a week and 2 days. It's a huge pile, it's amazing what I grabbed. I'll have to go through the stuff again this weekend.
      I hear you. I put all of my hiking gear from tents to food to maps into labeled bins. Almost every bin on this set of shelves is hiking stuff.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Pinkham Notch NH.
    • Our AT hike this summer starts next Saturday so I spent this weekend putting my pack together.
      The all up weight is 26 pounds without any water. I've got bottles that will hold 3 quarts.
      Even though there there will be some places where we could resupply along the way Kathy didn't want to do it that way and so we each have a giant food bag. She said she packed us each 12 days worth of food, my food bag is huge and heavy, and I'm willing to bet we'll have left overs, we almost always do. Anyway, next Saturday I don't know how far we'll actually hike as we have a lot of driving to do . First we'll drive to Bear Mountain State Park and leave our car there, that's about a 2 hour drive. Then our son will drive us over to the NJ/PA border which will take another 2 to 2.5 hours. Depending on what time we talk our son into leaving (he's not an early riser), at best we'll have half a day to walk. There's a camp site at about 4.5 miles in, but I hope we can get past there, we'll see. From the Delaware River to the Hudson River, which is what we're doing, is listed as 110 miles. Both Kathy and I will be using new packs for the first time as well as some other new items like tent and sleeping pad. We'll see how it all works out.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Even though there there will be some places where we could resupply along the way Kathy didn't want to do it that way and so we each have a giant food bag. She said she packed us each 12 days worth of food, my food bag is huge and heavy, and I'm willing to bet we'll have left overs, we almost always do.
      I can guess what that food bag looks like! :)

I carried a 10 day food bag once, plus a footlong sub and a drink for the first night which were too big to fit in the bag. I don't plan on ever doing that again.
      2,000 miler
    • New

LIhikers wrote:

Our AT hike this summer starts next Saturday so I spent this weekend putting my pack together.
      The all up weight is 26 pounds without any water. I've got bottles that will hold 3 quarts.
      Even though there there will be some places where we could resupply along the way Kathy didn't want to do it that way and so we each have a giant food bag. She said she packed us each 12 days worth of food, my food bag is huge and heavy, and I'm willing to bet we'll have left overs, we almost always do. Anyway, next Saturday I don't know how far we'll actually hike as we have a lot of driving to do . First we'll drive to Bear Mountain State Park and leave our car there, that's about a 2 hour drive. Then our son will drive us over to the NJ/PA border which will take another 2 to 2.5 hours. Depending on what time we talk our son into leaving (he's not an early riser), at best we'll have half a day to walk. There's a camp site at about 4.5 miles in, but I hope we can get past there, we'll see. From the Delaware River to the Hudson River, which is what we're doing, is listed as 110 miles. Both Kathy and I will be using new packs for the first time as well as some other new items like tent and sleeping pad. We'll see how it all works out.
      You will have 'The Rocks of PA' from DWG to around Route 23. There must be some strong juju at Route 23 that kept the rocks from creeping any further north.

I distinctly recall broiling in the sun on the open ledges around Sunrise Mountain and before the descent to I-87 and the Elk Pen parking area (Agony Grind). Bring sunscreen!

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• New

We've covered this whole section previously. But then it was done as day hikes or 1 nighters. We did one winter, 2 day hike that was so cold a ranger was parked at a road crossing to check people's gear. If he didn't like what he saw he was telling people to turn around and go home. I guess they didn't want to have to make middle of the night rescues. We passed inspection and went on our way.
    • New

LIhikers wrote:

We've covered this whole section previously. But then it was done as day hikes or 1 nighters. We did one winter, 2 day hike that was so cold a ranger was parked at a road crossing to check people's gear. If he didn't like what he saw he was telling people to turn around and go home. I guess they didn't want to have to make middle of the night rescues. We passed inspection and went on our way.
      Something similar happened to me and one other hiker when we summited Katahdin. Katahdin was closed becasue of ice and snow but the ranger allowed us to summit after he inspected our gear. We were required to carry our full packs, becasue, as he put it, if you fall and are injured I can't get you until tomorrow. And if you don't have a tent, sleeping bag, and warm clothes you won't survive the night.
      2,000 miler
    • New

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Something similar happened to me and one other hiker when we summited Katahdin. Katahdin was closed becasue of ice and snow but the ranger allowed us to summit after he inspected our gear. We were required to carry our full packs, becasue, as he put it, if you fall and are injured I can't get you until tomorrow. And if you don't have a tent, sleeping bag, and warm clothes you won't survive the night.
      Having just hiked that today, I would say it is a good thing you were young then. :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • New

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Having just hiked that today, I would say it is a good thing you were young then. :D
      It was no big deal at the time, just another mountain to climb, but yeah, I wouldn't want to do that now.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• New

Yup,
      PCT Walker Pass to Crabtree Meadow (I hope). I am a little worried about my condition.

I have a bearikade. I like it, but I found out after I got it that it is not rated for grizzly country. If I ever go there, I'll need to get a different one. Something to consider.

I'm up at 4 AM, so goodnight all.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier