Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Garmin Explorer/Garmin GPS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Garmin Explorer/Garmin GPS

I've been playing around with another map app, the Garmin Explorer, and it's so frustrating...these technical things aren't easy for me to figure out. I downloaded all the free maps and overlays but the Foothills Trail isn't on any of them so I created waypoints by manually typing in the GPS coordinates. I used the correct format but noticed all my waypoints now have different GPS coordinates than the ones that I manually typed in and aren't in the correct places. ARGHH!

I also attempted to import GPX files of the FHT by first downloading them to my Cloud but for some reason, they wouldn't import.

Why would it change the coordinates that I manually typed in?

(I have paper maps of the FHT, was just using it for practice)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I've been playing around with another map app, the Garmin Explorer, and it's so frustrating...these technical things aren't easy for me to figure out. I downloaded all the free maps and overlays but the Foothills Trail isn't on any of them so I created waypoints by manually typing in the GPS coordinates. I used the correct format but noticed all my waypoints now have different GPS coordinates than the ones that I manually typed in and aren't in the correct places. ARGHH!

I also attempted to import GPX files of the FHT by first downloading them to my Cloud but for some reason, they wouldn't import.

I bought a Garmin several years ago and never used it, didn't have the patients, I use Gaia on my phone, easy to use.
      What section of the Foothills you plan to do?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I bought a Garmin several years ago and never used it, didn't have the patients, I use Gaia on my phone, easy to use.What section of the Foothills you plan to do?
      Plans are still fluid but the area between Table Rock and Lower Whitewater Falls, don’t know if it’ll be East or West bound, waiting to see if Bad Creek parking opens up.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I've thought about getting the mini InReach, anyone have one or opinions?
      Ha ha, mine is in the mail, should arrive in a few days.
      ...new shoes, new gadget, new (trial) fire starters, order placed with Hawk Vittles, you’d think I plan to do a lot of hiking! :)
      I just got some Pack it Gourmet. Still got a Hawks left from last year I need to eat first. Hawks is good stuff. Let me know how you like the mini, I've seen good reviews except one person got very short battery life and I suspect user error there.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I've seen two complaints about "short battery life" with the mini. One was user issues. I think they had like 10 minute tracking set, a few weather downloads a day, doing email with people over it. All eat the battery. There was another and I think they called, had it debugged and were told to "mail it to us". They sent out a new one and the assumption was there was something defective with the first unit. I never saw where the user got a "what happened" but just got a "Here, this one will replace the other. Thanks for your business".
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • I have considered getting an InReach Mini but mostly for emergency communication. I am not interested in tracking. I'm more interested in where I am and where I'm going than where I've been. A cell phone with downloaded map (or paper map and compass) is probably better for navigation. Better to save the battery for when it is critical.

I can see some value in getting weather forecasts, but if you are out backpacking, you need to be prepared for any weather and there is only so much you can do with weather info. The ability to make non emergency contacts at home would also be of some value, but more so for the home front than me. I would use that feature to send info home (I am here and am ok, eg). I believe they have the ability to contact me if necessary ( Did you hear about the pandemic?, eg)
    • thought about getting a watch to give atmosphere pressure to help know when a storm was coming over the mountains on the CT but the weight was more than I could handle...out west is the only place I'd feel I needed weather info because they come up so fast and you may be the highest point above tree line
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Drybones wrote:

thought about getting a watch to give atmosphere pressure to help know when a storm was coming over the mountains on the CT but the weight was more than I could handle...out west is the only place I'd feel I needed weather info because they come up so fast and you may be the highest point above tree line
      my Casio watch has an altimeter and barometer. I actually use them both a lot. The altimeter to give me an idea of how much further to the top of the mountain and the barometer as an indication of the weather. I find the falling/rising barometer to be a pretty good weather predictor.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • The mini is smaller than I thought! It’s tiny. It arrived today and in the unboxing stage.

I wondered about the size and weight of the included biner and sure enough, it’s 14 grams...there are lighter biners. For me, the main purpose is the SOS feature so it needs to be secured to my person in some way.
      Images
      • 248CE30D-7CFF-4FAA-944D-973A48B70471.jpeg

80.89 kB, 450×600, viewed 326 times
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Ha ha, mine is in the mail, should arrive in a few days....new shoes, new gadget, new (trial) fire starters, order placed with Hawk Vittles, you’d think I plan to do a lot of hiking! :)
      I just got some Pack it Gourmet. Still got a Hawks left from last year I need to eat first. Hawks is good stuff. Let me know how you like the mini, I've seen good reviews except one person got very short battery life and I suspect user error there.
      I love Hawks, especially Cowboy Pasta. I don’t eat pre-packaged meals exclusively but like to add one or two to a trip. I divide the Hawk meals into two and add stuff like Fritos and cheese...yum!
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

thought about getting a watch to give atmosphere pressure to help know when a storm was coming over the mountains on the CT but the weight was more than I could handle...out west is the only place I'd feel I needed weather info because they come up so fast and you may be the highest point above tree line
      my Casio watch has an altimeter and barometer. I actually use them both a lot. The altimeter to give me an idea of how much further to the top of the mountain and the barometer as an indication of the weather. I find the falling/rising barometer to be a pretty good weather predictor.
      Doesn't the altimeter use pressure to determine altitude?. So if the pressure changes because the weather changes, how does it know altitude? I've always wondered how that worked. I can see those things would be useful, but the problem is I hate giant butt-ugly digital watches.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I had that watch once upon a time; probably got it in the early 90's. I ignored the barometer, but I liked having the altimeter. I enjoyed annoying my wife and father when we hiked the Grand Canyon and I gave them regular updates on how much elevation gain we had left to do as we headed up and out of the canyon.
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

Doesn't the altimeter use pressure to determine altitude?. So if the pressure changes because the weather changes, how does it know altitude? I've always wondered how that worked. I can see those things would be useful, but the problem is I hate giant butt-ugly digital watches.
      When starting out you had to calibrate it to a known elevation. I remember being on top of Springer one time watching the elevation change just sitting there so you have a valid point.
      2,000 miler
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Ha ha, mine is in the mail, should arrive in a few days.
      ...new shoes, new gadget, new (trial) fire starters, order placed with Hawk Vittles, you’d think I plan to do a lot of hiking! :)
      I like Hawk Vittles, he's got lots of good flavors.
      My wife on the other hand thinks his stuff is generally too spicey for her tastes.
    • When I go on a long hike I leave the fitbit in the car, and use a Casio also. Except it is just the $12 special. :D

On the AT Guthooks does help with an idea of how much elevation to go, but sometimes I find it is better not to check. :/
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Drybones wrote:

yes it does. I usually recalibrate it once a day at a known elevation like a shelter or gap. I find that it might be off 80 to maybe as high as 200 feet.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Drybones wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I bought a Garmin several years ago and never used it, didn't have the patients, I use Gaia on my phone, easy to use.What section of the Foothills you plan to do?
      I don’t know why I wanted to download a route to the Inreach, that’s not it’s function and the display screen is too small.

From what I’ve been reading, people using the Inreach also recommend using Gaia for maps and Gaia is superior to the few map apps that I’ve played with.

Going walking this afternoon to do some testing with the new toy.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

The mini is smaller than I thought! It’s tiny. It arrived today and in the unboxing stage.

I wondered about the size and weight of the included biner and sure enough, it’s 14 grams...there are lighter biners. For me, the main purpose is the SOS feature so it needs to be secured to my person in some way.
      Wow, that really is tiny! I'm definitely interested in one for the messaging/daily check in. I would probably limit it to location in morning, break and evening with a preset message of "starting to hike" and "stopping for the night" and " I'm ok"
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

The mini is smaller than I thought! It’s tiny. It arrived today and in the unboxing stage.

Wow, that really is tiny! I'm definitely interested in one for the messaging/daily check in. I would probably limit it to location in morning, break and evening with a preset message of "starting to hike" and "stopping for the night" and " I'm ok"
      I have a Delorme SE Inreach (mini would be what I'd get now). Your description is exactly what I use it for. I think I set the tracking to 2 hours. I set up on the website the preset messages for "Starting here, everything fine. No reply needed". and "Ending here, Everything fine. No reply needed" (so the wife didn't feel she HAD to reply. Only if she wanted to). Then paired it (blue tooth) with the IPHONE. Then use the phone to be sending messages and such.
      With the unit, one thing I got in the habit of doing, is once I find where I plan to camp, I set the Inreach down perhaps on the fire ring and immediately send the message. Do this because it can take 15 to 30 minutes to send it. Meanwhile I set my tarp, my hammock, shook out the quilts, filtered water, maybe started dinner, plugged the phone into my battery backup. Check messages once in a while. By the time I'm getting done with chores, it's 45 to 60 minutes after my "send". If there isn't a reply, there probably won't be and it's time to shut down the Delorme. If the phone is charged, unplug it and power it down.
      Once I did all this, the wife/family is just fine with me going out in the boonies, out of cell range, solo.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

I walked yesterday with the Mini attached to the Garmin biner and hooked to an amphipod waist belt. The biner is too big and the device flopped around, irritating me, so changed it to a smaller biner and it feels more secure. I’d prefer some sort of sheath with a loop, like a knife sheath.

The InReach is currently discounted $50 at most stores, don’t know how long that will last.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Backpacking Light is doing a master class on the InReach mini. If you’re not an unlimited subscriber, it’s $47.

There’s a lot of good info online and on YouTube that’s free but it might be nice for people wanting in-depth instruction.
      I've let my BL membership lapse, but I still lurk over there. Are you a member over there?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Backpacking Light is doing a master class on the InReach mini. If you’re not an unlimited subscriber, it’s $47.

There’s a lot of good info online and on YouTube that’s free but it might be nice for people wanting in-depth instruction.
      I've let my BL membership lapse, but I still lurk over there. Are you a member over there?
      I’ve always lurked too but just got a membership, don’t know why...sort of spontaneous. But now I want to watch a couple of the master class videos but they’re $47 each unless I upgrade to an unlimited membership which I don’t want to do. I listen to the BPL podcasts and cross-reference gear that I’m interested in. There’s a lot of smart people over there.
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

JJ, did you decide to purchase one?
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

JJ, did you decide to purchase one?
      I probably will, but it may not be until I head back to New Hampshire which will likely not be until next year.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

I can offer a master class on the inReach for free. $47? :thumbdown:

There really are not that many things an inReach can do that require in-depth instruction. It sends messages. It receives messages. You can request a weather forecast that arrives as a message. Picking a subscription plan may be the hardest thing - and that only requires a bit of number crunching to calculate the best value for your particular situation.

I had the original Delorme inReach. Then Garmin acquired the inReach line from Delorme and offered the current variants. When my original unit suffered a terminal software error, Garmin offered me 50% off a new unit. My Explorer+ is currently on the hiatus plan - I did the math and it was cheaper to pay the hibernation fees* than the monthly fees since I didn't have any hiking or motorcycling trip planned. Smart move, especially factoring in the Covid-19 disruptions.

The satellite network is robust. I have never had an issue sending or receiving messages. I've used it from the Whites to Key West. Bottom line: I pay for life insurance and health insurance. My Explorer+ and the subscription plan are just an extension of the two.

'*' In order to have the option to put your monthly subscription plan on hold, you have to subscribe to a plan that has a higher monthly cost. Then there is a fee to turn the plan off. I did the math and found that it made sense to switch to a higher cost plan and pay the fee for temporary deactivation as I didn't expect to use my device for 6 - 8 months. The higher cost plan also gives me unlimited tracking, which Mrs. Tortoise loves, as she can follow my progress from home.

From last year's hike over Mt. Washington.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • LIhikers wrote:

Any long term reviews of the In-Reach Mini from any of you folks? What do you like and dislike about it? I've got a little money burning a hole in my pocket and am considering using it to buy a Mini .
      I too am interested. I was wondering if the tracking feature can be turned off to maintain battery life. I'm not really so interested in where I have been, miles covered, etc..., Cell phone apps can do that. I really am only interested in it for its communication features and for emergencies, keeping that charged is a priority.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Any long term reviews of the In-Reach Mini from any of you folks? What do you like and dislike about it? I've got a little money burning a hole in my pocket and am considering using it to buy a Mini .
      I'm still happy with mine but there are some things that I dislike and some things to consider before purchasing.

Likes... the text messaging with location feature. For me, this is the best use of this device. The hiker can customize pre-set messages, such as "Starting my hike", "Camping here tonight", "Finished my hike", etc. These messages can be sent to multiple people via an app installed on a cell phone. (You type and send the message using your phone). It's possible to type a message from the device but it's difficult.

Sometimes it takes a while to connect to a satellite so if you don't think to start the process early, such as after parking and while getting your gear together, you may find yourself waiting for 10 min or longer for your message to send.

I only use the tracking function on day hikes, just because, but it doesn't always work. Trees cause a lot of interference and I've found my Suunto watch to be superior if wanting to record my hike. A feature of the device is that people with whom you share your password can log into the App (I think it has to be installed on their device) and see where you are at that time if you're using tracking. My family hasn't had a lot of success with this as tracking can be spotty.

Another thing to consider is the subscription service. There are several options to fit different hiking styles but I would look at the details before making a decision. In addition to a monthly fee, there's also a yearly fee...I don't know if the yearly fee applies to every plan but it does for mine.

One of my biggest irritations is that there are three different Garmin sites that you have to use and I tend to get mixed up with my passwords and which site does what. There's the site with your account where you customize your messages and add contacts, the site with the map where you do route planning, and the App that you use on your phone. I find it confusing and irritating but that's just me. I can't ever remember if I'm supposed to go to MyGarmin or GarminConnect, or explore.garmin or Earthmate...UGH!!!

Overall, the device works exactly how I need it to. I carry it on every hike, even day hikes, but only power it on to send 1-2 messages/day. There's no concern for keeping the battery charged, the only concern is the battery life of the cell phone.

I do feel a sense of peace, knowing there's an SOS button if I'm injured or encounter an injured hiker.

I did the Backpacking Light class and don't regret spending the $50. I'm not the best with technology and found it helpful. I probably need to do a review...
    • odd man out wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I too am interested. I was wondering if the tracking feature can be turned off to maintain battery life. I'm not really so interested in where I have been, miles covered, etc..., Cell phone apps can do that. I really am only interested in it for its communication features and for emergencies, keeping that charged is a priority.
      Yes, tracking can be turned on and off. I use the device exactly how you would.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Thanks TJ, that was helpful.
      As Kathy and I head into retirement we have some long hikes and bicycle rides planned. While we mostly want the unit for it's SOS feature it would be nice if our sons could follow along with where we are.
      When I did a 4000-mile motorcycle trip in 2014, I provided the link to my map and had several people following the tracking. It worked perfectly. Too well, as my wife got panicky if I pulled over on the side of the road for more than the tracking interval. She would text me to see if I was OK.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

StalkingTortoise wrote:

When I did a 4000-mile motorcycle trip in 2014, I provided the link to my map and had several people following the tracking. It worked perfectly. Too well, as my wife got panicky if I pulled over on the side of the road for more than the tracking interval. She would text me to see if I was OK.
      is this where you user name comes from?
      Nope. I ride like hell. Hiking is more of a Tortoise pace. :D