Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

It's time for new shoes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

Not hiking related, but since zero drop was mentioned...anyone else here old enough to admit they wore the original Earth Shoes with the negative heel? I know I had at least one pair. The company only existed from 1970-77 so the "Earth Shoes" you get today are by another company that bought the rights to the name.

i.pinimg.com/originals/73/42/9…8add755df8c2b23914739.jpg
      That was a few years before my time, but can we go back to that style of advertising that actually tells us something about the product in a straightforward manner? I miss that.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • max.patch wrote:

One of my son's wanted a lava lamp in the early 2000s. Didn't think I'd find one - but I did. So if you look hard enough...
      So far as I know they're still really popular in college dorms. I'd probably have one in my house if I wasn't so sure that my two arsehole cats would make short work of it.

Superfluous photo of the delinquents in question.
      Images
      • AA211DDD-E25C-4592-B970-D5BBF64192F1.jpeg

190.71 kB, 688×600, viewed 106 times
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.
    • It looks like I’m going to have surgery on my bunion in January. The pain in my foot is almost constant and radiates across the top of my foot.

I dread it so bad. The thought of not being able to do vigorous exercise for months and needing a year to fully recover is horrible to think about. I think there’s a 50% chance that I’ll back out at the last minute.

My biggest fear is that the pain will be worse afterwards and I’ll never be able to hike again.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

It looks like I’m going to have surgery on my bunion in January. The pain in my foot is almost constant and radiates across the top of my foot.

I dread it so bad. The thought of not being able to do vigorous exercise for months and needing a year to fully recover is horrible to think about. I think there’s a 50% chance that I’ll back out at the last minute.

My biggest fear is that the pain will be worse afterwards and I’ll never be able to hike again.
      Sorry to hear this TJ. Is the recovery really a full year? That would suck, but I assume the Dr. would not be recommending this if he did not think you will be better off on the other side of this.

Good luck whatever you choose.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

It looks like I’m going to have surgery on my bunion in January. The pain in my foot is almost constant and radiates across the top of my foot.

Sorry to hear this TJ. Is the recovery really a full year? That would suck, but I assume the Dr. would not be recommending this if he did not think you will be better off on the other side of this.
      Good luck whatever you choose.
      IMScotty did a great job of putting into words what I thought when I read this.

I know Bill Walton said minor surgery is something that is done on someone else. But with your background in the Healthcare industry I am sure you will choose a good doctor/surgeon, and dedication to rehab also seems to be a key to success.

I wish you well with moving forward. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Way back in 2006? I had mine removed in early January and hiked all of the below the rim trails at Bryce Canyon at the end of April. Yes my foot still hurt some. We would hike a 4-6 mile after breakfast and then I would elevate and ice my foot (if needed) and then do another trail after lunch.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • I'm sure the surgery techniques have improved since mine was done. I stayed awake for mine with just a local anesthesia and I read a book while they operated on me. I wouldn't do that again. It wasn't bad until after he had removed the bunion and then realigned my big toe by breaking my foot. I still remember that awful sound of my bone snapping. They didn't tell me they were going to do that!!!
      The first week of recovery was the worst of course, things got better fast after that. I'd do it again but with general anesthesia.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I'm sure the surgery techniques have improved since mine was done. I stayed awake for mine with just a local anesthesia and I read a book while they operated on me. I wouldn't do that again. It wasn't bad until after he had removed the bunion and then realigned my big toe by breaking my foot. I still remember that awful sound of my bone snapping. They didn't tell me they were going to do that!!!
      The first week of recovery was the worst of course, things got better fast after that. I'd do it again but with general anesthesia.
      Yes…I’m having a newer procedure called lapiplasty which uses hardware to permanently keep the toe aligned. There’s a risk that the hardware will cause permanent discomfort and some people have to have the hardware removed or revised.

Supposedly this procedure is less painful and you walk sooner. After a few weeks, I’ll move to a boot until 8 weeks then a regular shoe. Except the surgeon says because of my job, I’ll have to wear a boot while at work for 3-4 more weeks. Then there will be intermittent swelling and full recovery takes one year.

JJ, I thought that backpacking will be impossible because there’s no way to ice it on the trail. How did you do it? Soak it in cold streams?

And it’ll be general anesthesia. I wanted to do a local and wear ear plugs but he says no.
    • TJ,

At Bryce I iced at the hotel, Ruby's lodge. After 4 months my foot was still a little swollen, but I was still able to get it into my over the ankle hikers that I was using back then. But yeah after that I did soak it in some streams. My bunion was in the early stages, it hadn't gotten as big as a golf ball- I'd seen what they did to my mom's feet, so when they told me it was a bunion, I got it cut off ASAP. I never wore a boot that I remember, just a massive gauze wrap for a couple of weeks. 8 or 9 stitches I think. He just ground the bunion off with a dremel like tool and then broke my foot like a wishbone and packed and taped a gauze roll between toes to hold my big toe over. The whole thing was pretty primitive.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • My podiatrist also made me two sets of inserts, one for dress shoes and another for sneakers/casual/athletic shoes. I used them until I wore them out- a couple of years -and then switched to the moldable otc ones as I figured my gait had been corrected. I've had no problems since. Oh I did go to about a month of PT during my healing as part of the operation in which they had me do stuff like pick up marbles with my toes and stand on one of those pool noodles in the long direction. I'd say my foot was at least 75% healed at 6 months.
      Definitely get the pain meds before the anesthesia completely wears off.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Or then again, maybe it isn't...

First time ever that I have had the outer part of my trail shoe outlast the insole. My Lone Peak Altras (IV's I think) have several hundred miles on them, but still have some tread. They ain't pretty, but they still work. Problem is the insoles have become so worn they have holes in them and are sloshing around in my shoes at times....

So, I thought I would buy my first ever insoles. I have never needed extra cushion, so I have never tried this before.
      I wanted a flat, zero drop insole with no arch support. I settled on a slightly pricey pair from 'North Sole'.
      I ordered them oversized so that I could cut them down to match the Lone Peak insoles with their weirdly wide toe box. Not all insoles can be cut down.

The results...
      Well, I have not done any big hikes yet, but they feel like new shoes again (and they smell better too) :)

Some rough math, given the steep price for a new pair of Altras, I'd say if I get another hundred miles out of these shoes I will break even. But, I hope to doing better than that.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Or then again, maybe it isn't...

First time ever that I have had the outer part of my trail shoe outlast the insole. My Lone Peak Altras (IV's I think) have several hundred miles on them, but still have some tread. They ain't pretty, but they still work. Problem is the insoles have become so worn they have holes in them and are sloshing around in my shoes at times....

So, I thought I would buy my first ever insoles. I have never needed extra cushion, so I have never tried this before.
      I wanted a flat, zero drop insole with no arch support. I settled on a slightly pricey pair from 'North Sole'.
      I ordered them oversized so that I could cut them down to match the Lone Peak insoles with their weirdly wide toe box. Not all insoles can be cut down.

The results...
      Well, I have not done any big hikes yet, but they feel like new shoes again (and they smell better too) :)

Some rough math, given the steep price for a new pair of Altras, I'd say if I get another hundred miles out of these shoes I will break even. But, I hope to doing better than that.
      Hang on to them after the Altras wear out, and maybe you can extend the next pair too! :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Foot surgery is scheduled for the end of January…ugh. It’ll be 8 wks before I can wear a regular shoe and 4 months before resuming regular activity.

Gonna miss the good hiking and biking weather but will get in lots of knitting and fiddling.
      It'll be worth it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Surgery was rescheduled to yesterday and it’s over, yay! I nearly backed out several times but the size and discomfort had increased in the past few months, affirming my decision.

Numbness wore off by 8:30 last night and it’s painful (about a 6.8) but not intolerable or unmanageable which was my worst fear. I’m getting around good on the little knee scooter, practicing beforehand was a hoot.

I’m signed up for a sock knitting competition again this year which has been a good focus for me and the anxiety leading up to yesterday. Preparing all my yarn and supplies and now knitting the practice socks kept me busy and made me dread immobility a lot less. (When they called to change the surgery date I was happy because I’ll have an extra week to knit!)

My brain is still fuzzy from anesthesia and pain meds.
    • Hello friends. The past month has flown by and recovery is going great. I had a few episodes of intense pain because I tried to go too long without narcotic pain meds but was totally off them after 3 days. The foot looks good and I have great movement in my toe. I’m so happy with everything.

Three days ago, I was allowed to start walking in the boot so I’m now mobile and getting back to my regular activities. The forced inactivity has been great for me, I needed to show down and rest for a while. To think how much I dreaded it!

I’m in the thick of my sock knitting competition and had to make myself put it down to visit the cafe. The qualification sock was tough and there are 300 less competitors this year because they couldn’t finish before the deadline. Back to the needles…
      Images
      • 5ED85ED0-2560-4D06-A4D2-21D280614A44.jpeg

140.34 kB, 367×600, viewed 67 times
    • That's terrific TJ.
      So happy to hear that the surgery was a success. Hopefully every day the mobility and comfort will keep increasing.
      Good luck in your Sock competition.

Wow, those socks are beautiful!

Scott

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Geez Louise, I made it to the next round in the sock knitting competition. I’m seriously ready to be finished (my poor, tired hands) but as soon as the competition pattern drops, I can’t stand not trying, it brings out my competitive spirit. The next round will definitely be my last…definitely!!!

Between the competition patterns and bonus patterns, I’m working on pair #10.
      Images
      • 869A1974-5738-4BC5-9F47-D9FFA6C4FC29.jpeg

149.48 kB, 449×600, viewed 64 times