Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Working for the AMC?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rasty wrote:

Does anyone have any experience or advice on taking a job with the AMC in New Hampshire? I'm thinking about taking the executive chef position at the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center.
      No advice, but I know the area well. If you get this let us know, perhaps we can get together over the summer.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • That would be awesome, as I might actually get to eat something you prepared in July! :thumbup:

As for the AMC my guess is that it would rate higher on the atmosphere, but probably lower on pay. But you shouldn't be working 7x24, and you will already be in a great place anytime you get a day (s) off. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

That would be awesome, as I might actually get to eat something you prepared in July! :thumbup:

As for the AMC my guess is that it would rate higher on the atmosphere, but probably lower on pay. But you shouldn't be working 7x24, and you will already be in a great place anytime you get a day (s) off. :)
      My thoughts exactly. It looks like a 40 hour per week job with two days off, 3 weeks vacation per year to start, etc. Living in Gorham doesn't sound too terrible.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Gorham is a nice trail town, expenses should be reasonable and there are a few good places to eat. You cannot beat the hiking opportunities. Pinkham Notch is about a 15 minute drive from downtown Gorham. Gorham has been taken over by the ATV crowd, which some of the long -time residents are not happy with. They are good for business, though. If you want quieter towns to live in I would recommend Randolph or Shelburne, Randolph being my preference because there are fewer mosquitos in the summer up on the hill.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Pinkham is busy year round. Don't see what difference time off would be at any certain time. Hiking 3 season, ice climbing. Skiing & snowshoeing in the winter. I once stayed there two weeks when I took my woofer course. We had 1/2 to an hour break between school & dinner. Each day was a quick hike.
      Images
      • Scan233 (2).jpg

103.74 kB, 800×533, viewed 253 times