Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

AT Day hike

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AT Day hike

My nephew is planning an Appalachian Trail Thru-Hike beginning April 2nd and I would like to join him somewhere along the way for a one day hike. I live in Florida & would be flying to the location. Any suggestions for a section with pretty easy, not too strenuous hiking that is convenient to a major airport? Thanks in advance for any helpful info you can provide :)
    • Perhaps Roanoke, VA, assuming that is a large enough airport.
      Same with Johnson City, TN .

Normally I would say Washington, DC which has easy train to Harpers Ferry. But the bridge problem might not make that as pracitcal right now.

General rule is trail gets tougher the further north you go, and your nephew will also be gettting in better and better shape as he goes, and thus harder to keep up with.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • The easiest hike to plan would be to start with him at Springer. The section from Springer to Hightower Gap is one of easiest in Georgia.

You'll need to get back to your car which means you'll need to arrange for a shuttle beforehand OR hike with him for half a day and then say goodbye and turn around and return to your car.

Getting to Springer requires 6 miles on a (usually) good forest service road. There are other options that use pavement, but the hiking would be harder.

To get better answers...Are you day hiking or carrying a backpack with overnight gear? Also, do you have an idea of how many miles you want to walk?
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Hello Karen and welcome to the Cafe,

You have received some good suggestions above. One thing to bear in mind is that your nephew will be getting stronger and stronger as he moves along. For a one-day hike, however, I'm sure he will want to slow down and enjoy some time with you. You might want to plan tis around a good town stop for him to resupply and perhaps take a zero day. Warning... he will be hungry :)

A logistical problem is at the end of your day hike, how will you get back to the start? Some towns have better shuttle service options than others.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier