Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Corona Virus and the Trail

Anyone concerned about how CoVid-19 is going to effect their hiking plans this year?

I am. Mostly I am concerned about travel being shut down both coming and going to the trailhead. I also have a trip planned to Ireland and London this summer whose flights may be affected. I'm $2000 in on those non-refundable tickets, plus some deposits made for lodging and I would hate to lose that. My next step is to buy flights for my kids to join us, but now I am holding off on that for the moment.

This same discussion came up on TOS and I will post what I posted there below...
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Those of who have to fly to our trailhead have to consider if flights on these moving petri-dishes will even be available when the time comes. I've been holding off purchasing my flights <to the PCT> until there is a little more clarity to the situation in the USA.

Once on the trail you can bet I will be following my usual practice of staying away from <large groups> and shelters. I am happy to socialize with the hikers I meet on my hike, but this time I might keep some extra distance. Washing of hands frequently seems to be the wisest preventative method and remembering not to touch my face, mouth or eyes until I have washed thoroughly.

To Puddlefish's comment above, right on. Now more than ever it is important to practice good hygiene, seek treatment if you are showing symptoms, if you feel sick and don't know what you have, stay home. While I am not personally worried about what CoVid-19 would do to me, it would be hard to live with myself if I carelessly passed the virus on to someone else and it resulted in a fatality. We need to take extra care and precautions around the elderly and immune suppressed.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Anyone concerned about how CoVid-19 is going to effect their hiking plans this year?

I am. Mostly I am concerned about travel being shut down both coming and going to the trailhead. I also have a trip planned to Ireland and London this summer whose flights may be affected. I'm $2000 in on those non-refundable tickets, plus some deposits made for lodging and I would hate to lose that. My next step is to buy flights for my kids to join us, but now I am holding off on that for the moment.

This same discussion came up on TOS and I will post what I posted there below...
      I definitely am. If it gets bad I will cancel my GC trip. Can't get the plane fare back, but I can get almost all the hotel deposit back and I won't have to rent the car. My biggest fear is of course the close quarters on the plane, crowds in the airport, and crowds on the buses at the canyon. Playing it by ear. If I cancel, I'll just head down to southwest Virginia and rehike some of my favorite AT sections.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Not so worried about my hiking plans since I am driving myself to and around NH/ME.

But my middle son is graduating in early May and starts work first of June. Already had to get refund from his planned trip to China (surprised how easy it was), but now I am wondering if his new trip to Japan (where he did an internship in Tokyo last summer) will be an issue.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • There's a shortage of hand sanitizer which I verified when I went to buy some yesterday at Publix -- all gone.

There's supposed to be a shortage of freeze dried foods (mountain house, etc) although I don't know if that applies to some of small vendors some of us use. In any event, there are other options other than freeze dried foods we can use when backpacking. After the first few weeks on my thru I changed from mountain house every night to once a week; using cheaper (and smaller) packages of rice and pasta sides. I hope to start backpacking again after a 2 year absence due to getting old :( and would use commercial meals for supper if available. If not no big deal.

I wouldn't sleep in shelters, but I stopped doing that years ago except where required.

I don't think I'll do a long hike this year, but if I was to do so I hope I would be able to avoid hostels.

I'd drive to the trailhead; no train, bus, or plane.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• There's a discussion on TOS about not shaking hands on the trail.

I don't think I've ever met someone on the trail and felt it necessary to shake their their hand. Just started talking without going thru that ritual.

Maybe todays hikers are more touchy feely that I am.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

There's a shortage of hand sanitizer which I verified when I went to buy some yesterday at Publix -- all gone.

There's supposed to be a shortage of freeze dried foods (mountain house, etc) although I don't know if that applies to some of small vendors some of us use. In any event, there are other options other than freeze dried foods we can use when backpacking. After the first few weeks on my thru I changed from mountain house every night to once a week; using cheaper (and smaller) packages of rice and pasta sides. I hope to start backpacking again after a 2 year absence due to getting old :( and would use commercial meals for supper if available. If not no big deal.

I wouldn't sleep in shelters, but I stopped doing that years ago except where required.

I don't think I'll do a long hike this year, but if I was to do so I hope I would be able to avoid hostels.

Here's how to make your own hand sanitizer. Go to the drugstore and buy aloe vera gel and the 91% or better rubbing alcohol. Mix one part aloe to two parts alcohol.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

There's a shortage of hand sanitizer which I verified when I went to buy some yesterday at Publix -- all gone.

Here's how to make your own hand sanitizer. Go to the drugstore and buy aloe vera gel and the 91% or better rubbing alcohol. Mix one part aloe to two parts alcohol.
      I would rather use everclear
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sterilization inside and out?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

max.patch wrote:

sterilization inside and out?
      I use something better on the inside.
    • Some rumors about using Tito's Handmade Vodka for home-made hand sanitizer. Tito's put out a statement along the lines of "Our product is only 40 percent alcohol. Not enough to be a sanitizer". I did read a DIY hand sanitizer. 2 parts 91% rubbing alcohol, 1 part aloe vera.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • jimmyjam wrote:

rhjanes wrote:

Some rumors about using Tito's Handmade Vodka for home-made hand sanitizer. Tito's put out a statement along the lines of "Our product is only 40 percent alcohol. Not enough to be a sanitizer". I did read a DIY hand sanitizer. 2 parts 91% rubbing alcohol, 1 part aloe vera.

Lol, I went back to Publix today to get some fruit -- and all of 90%+ rubbing alcohol was long gone. ( I don't remember if they sell the 91% or 99%) You could get all the 70% stuff you wanted.
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

Rubbing alcohol is isopropanol which is available at gas stations as iso Heet gas line antifreeze (red bottle). But I'm not sure if there are trace amounts of other ingredients. Also if you use yellow heat (methanol), you could kill yourself.
      meth can kill you, nothing new there (also rough on the teeth)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Not related to the trail but my two biggest fears are 1) My parents. They are in the vulnerable zone. And 2) Being stuck at work indefinitely. I work on a unit that staffs only 3-4/RN’s per shift. If anyone gets sick, I will be required to stay. I don’t want to be stuck at work for days on end. I should probably pack a bag with some essentials just in case.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Not related to the trail but my two biggest fears are 1) My parents. They are in the vulnerable zone. And 2) Being stuck at work indefinitely. I work on a unit that staffs only 3-4/RN’s per shift. If anyone gets sick, I will be required to stay. I don’t want to be stuck at work for days on end. I should probably pack a bag with some essentials just in case.
      Some of the health care workers at the epicenter of this have paid a terrible toll.

And at the long-tern care facility in Washington State 70 / 180 employees are now infected.
      It is difficult to get the exact numbers but I believe the mortality rate of the vulnerable patients who were infected at that facility is >20%.

Good luck to you and your patients TJ. Stay healthy!

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • We get free coffee at work, brewed in commercial drip units in the cafe. Sometime this morning after I filled my stainless commuter cup, a sign went up stating that no personal beverage devices are allowed until further notice. Just down the hall is a poster urging people to bring refillable containers to prevent paper cup waste. I'm guessing that poster will be gone by tomorrow.

I'm waiting for the blast email asking everyone to work from home and collaborate via online tools. That would be fine with me.

As far as the trail, I'd be much more worried about norovirus than coronavirus.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • At Daytona Bike Week now. It's a mixed bag now. Two deaths on the panhandle. The manager of the condo complex says he's fully booked thru Spring Break. He believes more kid's are using Grandparents condo than traveling to other countries & also Other hotel managers he knows are fully booked. My $ numbers are down somewhat, but not that much. The number of foriegn people seems to be normal.
    • It sickens me when people say, “everything’s fine, it’s just old people in nursing homes who are dying!” As if our elderly are indispensable and are better off dead. Eff that attitude; The young and strong survive, the old and weak will die.

What they don’t realize is that many people go to nursing homes temporarily for rehab and have many, good years ahead of them. And many of the elderly may not be ready and willing to die. Many have a lot of life left to live and have important milestones that they’re looking forward to. Not to mention the family that loves them! I just don’t understand this cavalier attitude towards life. It’s very disheartening.

People can laugh all they want at those who take this seriously but for me, it boils down to personal integrity. People need to do the right thing.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

It sickens me when people say, “everything’s fine, it’s just old people in nursing homes who are dying!” As if our elderly are indispensable and are better off dead. Eff that attitude; The young and strong survive, the old and weak will die.

What they don’t realize is that many people go to nursing homes temporarily for rehab and have many, good years ahead of them. And many of the elderly may not be ready and willing to die. Many have a lot of life left to live and have important milestones that they’re looking forward to. Not to mention the family that loves them! I just don’t understand this cavalier attitude towards life. It’s very disheartening.

People can laugh all they want at those who take this seriously but for me, it boils down to personal integrity. People need to do the right thing.
      TJ, I like the way you think !
    • We don't know if this virus is potentially fatal only to the elderly and those with preexisting conditions OR if everyone regardless of age and physical condition is at risk.

So until we do...we need to avoid large public gatherings so as to slow the progression of the virus as much as possible. And as a sports fan I hate to say this...but all sporting events should be held without fans AT A MINIMUM if not cancelled outright all together until we know what we are dealing with.

We need to flatten the curve:

[IMG:https://www.flattenthecurve.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/flatten-the-curve.jpg]
      2,000 miler
    • NCAA tournament to be played without fans. NBA season suspended after Rudy Gobert tests positive. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson have it. This time it's serious.

Of all my interests that take place outside the house I think that hiking is the only one that I'll be doing for a while.
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

My university canceled classes today and tomorrow. I have until Monday to figure out how to teach an on-line class.
      My daughter's classes were cancelled also. She's an education major and doesn't yet know if she needs to show up at her clinical classes which are a at a pre-school. I don't think the 4 year old kids know how to attend an online class.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123