Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• It’s been two weeks since my second vaccine so I decided to have an antibody test today.

It showed up IgG positive within seconds. The lady told me I could rip off my mask and run through the Covid unit. It’s such a relief, especially after taking care of a very sick lady yesterday. :)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

It’s been two weeks since my second vaccine so I decided to have an antibody test today.

It showed up IgG positive within seconds. The lady told me I could rip off my mask and run through the Covid unit. It’s such a relief, especially after taking care of a very sick lady yesterday. :
      • Just make sure to stay away from the strain coming out of South Africa.
    • Dmax wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

It’s been two weeks since my second vaccine so I decided to have an antibody test today.

It showed up IgG positive within seconds. The lady told me I could rip off my mask and run through the Covid unit. It’s such a relief, especially after taking care of a very sick lady yesterday. :

There are several variants going around, including one that evolved right in my son's college town of Columbus OH. However, I've yet to hear a source state that the existing vaccines aren't expected to be effective against these new strains.

That said, as effective as they are, I don't think they're 100%, so I wouldn't run through any Covid wards. But it would reduce my worry a whole lot in general.
    • Todays ATC email has everything you ever wanted to know about 2021 Hangtags.

appalachiantrail.org/official-…ODJ8OTM4fDB8MHx8MzU2Mjk20

<snip>

Why are 2021 A.T. Hangtags not currently available?

• Due to the pandemic and the risk that interstate travel could spread COVID-19 (including the emerging variants that could be even more contagious), the ATC has been advising hikers to postpone their hikes until the CDC has deemed the pandemic “under control” or a COVID-19 vaccine or effective treatment is widely available and distributed. We do not feel it is appropriate to provide what could be perceived as a reward for long-distance hiking, which we are actively discouraging until one of the above conditions is met.
      2,000 miler
    • Ha, ha. People on FB are having a meltdown about this. They want their TAGS!

I'm guessing it would have been the one memento left from their hike after they get off in Need Gap :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Son gets his 2nd dose on Sunday. If I was still a Pennsylvania resident, I could try to find a vaccination appointment as early as next week, based on the published guidelines. In Ohio, I'm not even on the schedule.

Still hoping the J&J vaccine gets the Emergency Use Authorization in new next few weeks.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • On a related note, I just finished listening to The Great Influenza on Audible about the 1918 pandemic. It was scary listening to how the virus spread from Army camp to Army camp in the U.S., and then over to Europe as soldiers poured into France during WWI. All because the politicians and generals refused to listen to the doctors and scientists. Almost all virologists agree that the Spanish flu most likely originated in Kansas. Why was it called the Spanish flu? Spain wasn't involved in WWI and thus wasn't censoring news that might hurt morale. So when the virus hit Spain, the press had no limits in reporting it to the world.

It was really scary listing to the Afterward, which was re-written by the author after the 2004 SARS epidemic. He predicted that the next pandemic would strike in the near-term future, that ventilators would be in short supply, and even that Chinese government would not be forthcoming with the WHO about virus data. The only thing he got wrong was that vaccines would not be developed before the next virus died out.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Son gets his 2nd dose on Sunday. If I was still a Pennsylvania resident, I could try to find a vaccination appointment as early as next week, based on the published guidelines. In Ohio, I'm not even on the schedule.

Still hoping the J&J vaccine gets the Emergency Use Authorization in new next few weeks.
      ...which kind of sucks. There aren’t enough vaccines in PA so people who really need it aren’t getting it because there’s too much competition. My daughter should be in the second wave but she won’t be able to get it due to availability.
    • Dmax wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

Honestly, I don't want to start worrying about all the possibilities. I’m going to be hopeful and leave it at that. (And continue to wear my mask and wash my hands).
    • The county takes appointments (hahaha) on Friday at 5 for the next week. 2 weeks I never got to the website at all, one week I got to the appointment page once and then it crashed. I read there are 85,000 people over 65 and older in Cobb, and I know what every one of them is doing at 5 on Friday.

Lets hope the one shot J&J vaccine works and gets approved.

Oh, and the vaccines held in reserve for the 2nd shot? Oops -- they don't exist.
      2,000 miler
    • Wife qualified, but couldn't get an appointment, so she submitted her email and waited. This afternoon she got an email inviting her to sign up and she got an appointment for Thursday. They are setting up a mass vaccination site at the local convention center that otherwise unused due to no conventions. I'm too young to qualify.
    • max.patch wrote:

Lets hope the one shot J&J vaccine works and gets approved.
      The Phase 1 trial results were published in the New England Journal of Medicine and looked very good. My understanding is that the large-scale Phase 3 results are being analyzed now for submission in the very near future. Even if the efficacy is only ~80%, the addition of more vaccine doses can only help.

And there is a J&J 2-shot version that also went through Phase 3 testing. That was one of the benefits of the Warp Speed project - the vaccine makers could ramp up production before approval without having to factor in the risk of scrapping out any candidates than didn't work. J&J has been stockpiling doses in the US and Europe since last summer. On a related note, the brother of my Dutch friend is the site manager for the Janssen (J&J) Belgian vaccine manufacturing site.

• The hospital my PCP is affiliated with added a new location this week for the vaccine. I could have gotten an appointment but chose not to. The reason -- it was on the 18th floor. I haven't been on an elevator since this started -- I take the stairs. And I didn't want to walk up 18 floors. It took several days before all the spots were taken; obviously I'm not the only person who felt this way.
      2,000 miler
    • LW, I expect you will still see plenty of hikers this year, and that there will also be plenty of businesses along the way that will welcome them.

That said, judging from what I have seen on some of the 'AT Class of' FB pages, this year you will face more than the usual numbers of dirtbags and idiots. Good luck!

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • It would be interesting to see how the ATC stance on this has impacted their fundraising, I am guessing probably in the 20-40% range. I know it is down 100% from this longtime contributor. :thumbdown:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

Was scheduled for vacine on Monday, but then they did not get as many doses as expected and moved the cutoff back to 65. Still expecting to get it in the next few weeks.
      For good news I am scheduled for a vaccine Thursday morning. :)
      Well, I assume it is good news, of course it may be years before we know the side effects. :S
    • max.patch wrote:

Todays ATC email has everything you ever wanted to know about 2021 Hangtags.

appalachiantrail.org/official-…ODJ8OTM4fDB8MHx8MzU2Mjk20

<snip>

Why are 2021 A.T. Hangtags not currently available?

• Due to the pandemic and the risk that interstate travel could spread COVID-19 (including the emerging variants that could be even more contagious), the ATC has been advising hikers to postpone their hikes until the CDC has deemed the pandemic “under control” or a COVID-19 vaccine or effective treatment is widely available and distributed. We do not feel it is appropriate to provide what could be perceived as a reward for long-distance hiking, which we are actively discouraging until one of the above conditions is met.

Well, then the ATC is not needed......
      Fire every one, starting at the top.

Hire some new employees when it's "under control"
      The asshats they have now won't be missed.
    • 2nd dose mule-kicked my boy for about two hours, around 12 hours after the vaccination. But it's working.

I'm trying to talk my wife into coming out of her temporary retirement to be a vaccination nurse. Once more doses are available, she could make a real difference by getting them into arms faster.

• Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

Was scheduled for vacine on Monday, but then they did not get as many doses as expected and moved the cutoff back to 65. Still expecting to get it in the next few weeks.
      For good news I am scheduled for a vaccine Thursday morning. :) Well, I assume it is good news, of course it may be years before we know the side effects. :S
      Got my Pfizer vaccine today. My wife gets her vaccine tomorrow.
    • The J&J vaccine has mixed results.

The good: J&J's trials were late in the game and encompassed a large number of subjects in different parts of the world. That means that their vaccine trial included newer variants of the virus. And it was a thorough trial.

The not-so-good: Initial efficacy is not as high as the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

The good: After 28 days, the J&J vaccine provided almost total protection against serious illness / hospitalization / death for US trial participants. All in one dose.

The not-so-good: People vaccinated with the J&J vaccine may be susceptible to milder cases of Coronavirus. And efficacy for the South African mutation is lower.

Nothing is definite until the vaccine is granted Emergency Use Authorization, but there have been hints that R&D employees and family members living under the same roof may be eligible for on-site vaccine clinics. Now it's a waiting game to see if I'll get my shot(s) based on the Ohio distribution plan or through work.

• Should also point out that the J&J vaccine is a single dose and stored in a regular refrigerator. This could best especially important for underdeveloped countries that don't have the resources to deliver the other ones. There was a story on the news this morning about vaccine nationalism. As competition grows for obtaining vaccine, there will be haves and have nots. But epidemiologists tell us that you won't be safe until everyone is safe.
    • Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

Astro wrote:

For good news I am scheduled for a vaccine Thursday morning. :) Well, I assume it is good news, of course it may be years before we know the side effects. :S
      Got my Pfizer vaccine today. My wife gets her vaccine tomorrow.
      Other than waking up that night with arm a little sore, no short term side effects. :)
    • I got my first of 2 Moderna vaccine shots today. The airport I work on offered the company I work for a bunch of appointments. A few hours after the shot I started to feel woozy. I had to stop working on aircraft and spent the rest of the day cleaning up and doing some projects in the hangar. I go back for the second shot in a month.
    • roadrunner wrote:

Another interesting interview with Dr. Paul Offit on the variants of the virus out there and the importance of getting the second shot

My wife and I watched the entire interview. Glad to see the J&J vaccine getting some love from one of the folks on the approval committee.

My favorite quote: "Positivity doesn't sell..." Exactly the reason I loathe the news media.

• I was checking to see when I would be eligible to get a Covid vaccine. Right now I have two options. One is to convince someone that chemistry professors are critical to the functioning of society and requires close contact with people. That is sort of true, in that I teach pre-nursing chem and labs require sanding next to students, although university professors are not generally included in this group. the second option is more straight forward. I could give myself an underlying medical condition by gaining 15 lbs. Then my BMI will be high enough to qualify. What's for dinner?
    • odd man out wrote:

I was checking to see when I would be eligible to get a Covid vaccine. Right now I have two options. One is to convince someone that chemistry professors are critical to the functioning of society and requires close contact with people. That is sort of true, in that I teach pre-nursing chem and labs require sanding next to students, although university professors are not generally included in this group. the second option is more straight forward. I could give myself an underlying medical condition by gaining 15 lbs. Then my BMI will be high enough to qualify. What's for dinner?
      I guess it just depends on where you are - I know some places are including teachers in the earlier groups (which does make sense as you mention for those who are teaching students in person).
    • I was looking at the ATC thru hiker voluntary registration figures.

So far 1,987 people have registered a NOBO thru hike starting at AFSP or Springer. The ATC objective was to cap the number of people starting at 38 per day. Starting next weekend, Feb 27, that number has been registered every day thru April 9.

And this obviously doesn't include those who don't know about the voluntary registration and those who chose not to do so.

I would say that the ATC recommendation to postpone thrus until things improve is a failure.
      2,000 miler
    • While the ATC will let you REGISTER your hike (in an attempt to minimize overcrowding and impact to the trail) they will not RECOGNIZE your hike.

I think they have taken the position that while they recommend that people not thru hike, they also realize that people are going to foolishly do so, so they pass on as much information as possible to make the hike as safe as possible.

There's no social distancing on a thru hike...

From the website:

To reduce the spread of the COVID-19 and to keep A.T. hikers, volunteers, and trailside communities safe, we advise hikers to stay local and avoid hikes that require resupply. Until we advise hikers that it is safe for all concerned to resume travel and longer-distance hikes, we have paused our 2,000-miler recognition program and removed our 2,000-miler application. Learn more about our COVID-19 guidance here.
      2,000 miler
    • For comparison, the PCTA is issuing hike permits. Their Max is (and has been pre-Covid) 50 permits per day. Looking at their permit system I see they have maxed out from March 10th to May 31st (when there permitting window ends). That is over 4000 permits total.

People are going to be hiking this year.

Also for comparison right now I am doing in-person labs with 30 students per week. We are in a room together, but masked. I go grocery shopping once a week, there may be 100 or more people in the store while I am there. I dine out with a friend or my wife about once a week. The one I eat in last night was a bit sparsely occupied, maybe about 30 people enjoying their meals. I bowl in a league once a week, there are about 30 bowlers there. I'm sure I interact with a few dozen more every week, filling up the tank, getting a sandwich for lunch, health appointments and so on. All these things I do, I do by is allowed by my state and is done by the guidelines. I'm guessing many of the folks planning a thru-hike are living life much as I do.

If I were to quit my job and hit Springer this Spring (I wish ), I might past a few dozen hikers a day (let's be real, they will be passing me). It will be outdoors instead of inside, I would step aside on the trail to let them by. I never stay in shelters. I like to camp alone. On a daily basis the number of people I would interact with would drop precipitously.

Every 3 -4 days I would roll into town. Maybe get a hotel room for a night. Maybe eat a meal in a much smaller restaurant than I do now. Pick up a few supplies at a PO or smallish grocery store. Instead of 100's of people a week I might now be around a few dozen. That all seems a lot safer to me. A lot safer for everyone. But unfortunately, I cannot leave on a hike. I need to keep working and doing what I am doing, but I have no grudge against those who are.

This year's hikers are facing a different outlook than last year's. So much was unknown about the virus a year ago. The rural communities were not prepared. Hikers were not as savvy about best practices to minimize transmission. Calling off last-years hikes seemed the prudent thing to do. But now infection rates are plummeting. People have masks and wear them. Plexiglas shields protect the PO workers and grocery store clerks. It seems much more reasonable for someone to consider a thru-hike this year than last. A hike may well be safer than the routine that most people are doing right now; both for themselves and the community.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

For comparison, the PCTA is issuing hike permits. Their Max is (and has been pre-Covid) 50 permits per day. Looking at their permit system I see they have maxed out from March 10th to May 31st (when there permitting window ends). That is over 4000 permits total.

People are going to be hiking this year.

Also for comparison right now I am doing in-person labs with 30 students per week. We are in a room together, but masked. I go grocery shopping once a week, there may be 100 or more people in the store while I am there. I dine out with a friend or my wife about once a week. The one I eat in last night was a bit sparsely occupied, maybe about 30 people enjoying their meals. I bowl in a league once a week, there are about 30 bowlers there. I'm sure I interact with a few dozen more every week, filling up the tank, getting a sandwich for lunch, health appointments and so on. All these things I do, I do by is allowed by my state and is done by the guidelines. I'm guessing many of the folks planning a thru-hike are living life much as I do.

If I were to quit my job and hit Springer this Spring (I wish ), I might past a few dozen hikers a day (let's be real, they will be passing me). It will be outdoors instead of inside, I would step aside on the trail to let them by. I never stay in shelters. I like to camp alone. On a daily basis the number of people I would interact with would drop precipitously.

Every 3 -4 days I would roll into town. Maybe get a hotel room for a night. Maybe eat a meal in a much smaller restaurant than I do now. Pick up a few supplies at a PO or smallish grocery store. Instead of 100's of people a week I might now be around a few dozen. That all seems a lot safer to me. A lot safer for everyone. But unfortunately, I cannot leave on a hike. I need to keep working and doing what I am doing, but I have no grudge against those who are.

This year's hikers are facing a different outlook than last year's. So much was unknown about the virus a year ago. The rural communities were not prepared. Hikers were not as savvy about best practices to minimize transmission. Calling off last-years hikes seemed the prudent thing to do. But now infection rates are plummeting. People have masks and wear them. Plexiglas shields protect the PO workers and grocery store clerks. It seems much more reasonable for someone to consider a thru-hike this year than last. A hike may well be safer than the routine that most people are doing right now; both for themselves and the community.
      Excellent assessment of the situation! I can totally relate and agree 100%! :thumbup:
    • I can guarantee that the shelters will be full with people sleeping shoulder to shoulder with strangers. (Even though almost all shelters and privys are officially closed from GA to the SNP)

I can guarantee that the hostels that are open will be full with people sleeping in bunkhouses with strangers.

The first hostel in Georgia is just down the road from Woody Gap (mile 20). Don't know its capacity, but it was full tonight and last night. And as this pic shows, they ain't staying 6 feer apart and they ain't wearing masks.

scontent.fatl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net…10186b424849b&oe=6054BEF3
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I can guarantee that the shelters will be full with people sleeping shoulder to shoulder with strangers. (Even though almost all shelters and privys are officially closed from GA to the SNP)

I can guarantee that the hostels that are open will be full with people sleeping in bunkhouses with strangers.

The first hostel in Georgia is just down the road from Woody Gap (mile 20). Don't know its capacity, but it was full tonight and last night. And as this pic shows, they ain't staying 6 feer apart and they ain't wearing masks.

https://scontent.fatl1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/150213903_267203848106449_7041784651462401545_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=3&_nc_sid=a26aad&_nc_ohc=sWLgJC0nKGcAX_BDI1S&_nc_ht=scontent.fatl1-2.fna&oh=70e514a814e2feaf64110186b424849b&oe=6054BE
      Your point is well made Max. I forget that most hikers are a bit more sociable than I am. Let's hope they at least try to keep it in their Tramilies. It will be interesting to see if there is a spike of cases along the trail this Spring. My belief is that numbers will continue to drop, even along the trail. But time will tell.

John Greenleaf Whittier