Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Trillium wrote:

And I daresay, that Abrams would have managed the response to the pandemic better.
      She probably would have. It would be hard to do worse.
      I believe you may be suffering from metropolitan area bias. What may be needed for metropolitan areas like Atlanta and its suburbs is not the same for rural GA (same with other states). I live in a town of a little over 20,000 and other than not letting students come back from Spring Break (we draw from all 50 states and around 50 countries) and public schools finishing the year out online everything is pretty much the same (few exceptions like gyms, barbers, sit down dining, but those should change soon). Now the mayors in major cities may need different guidelines. I would not be surprised if most of the communities in GA agree with the governor. Also, not surprised if the mayors of cities like Atlanta want to provide stricter guidelines. So basically, if you live in a metropolitan area you think things should be locked down, and if in a rural area you feel like the lock down is the media tail wagging the dog. Probably why we have governors to make state wide decisions, and mayors to make decisions for their local area. Generally the more local decisions can be made the better.
      I live in a metro area so I agree I'm looking at this thru that perspective. Although I'll quibble with the term "suffering" -- I think "influenced" is a better adjective. :)

The mayors say that they were not consulted by the governor before his announcement. The mayor of Albany -- the hardest hit area in the state -- said he learned about it when he saw it on TV.

I can't find the link now, but I read yesterday that the mayors do not have the ability for their cities to "opt out" of the openings. It's state wide; no exceptions.

edit to add: It doesn't matter if you're metro or rural -- it's impossible to maintain "social distancing" if you're getting a haircut, a massage, a tattoo, or a manicure.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Trillium wrote:

And I daresay, that Abrams would have managed the response to the pandemic better.
      I believe you may be suffering from metropolitan area bias. What may be needed for metropolitan areas like Atlanta and its suburbs is not the same for rural GA (same with other states). I live in a town of a little over 20,000 and other than not letting students come back from Spring Break (we draw from all 50 states and around 50 countries) and public schools finishing the year out online everything is pretty much the same (few exceptions like gyms, barbers, sit down dining, but those should change soon). Now the mayors in major cities may need different guidelines. I would not be surprised if most of the communities in GA agree with the governor. Also, not surprised if the mayors of cities like Atlanta want to provide stricter guidelines. So basically, if you live in a metropolitan area you think things should be locked down, and if in a rural area you feel like the lock down is the media tail wagging the dog. Probably why we have governors to make state wide decisions, and mayors to make decisions for their local area. Generally the more local decisions can be made the better.
      I live in a metro area so I agree I'm looking at this thru that perspective. Although I'll quibble with the term "suffering" -- I think "influenced" is a better adjective. :)
      The mayors say that they were not consulted by the governor before his announcement. The mayor of Albany -- the hardest hit area in the state -- said he learned about it when he saw it on TV.

I can't find the link now, but I read yesterday that the mayors do not have the ability for their cities to "opt out" of the openings. It's state wide; no exceptions.

edit to add: It doesn't matter if you're metro or rural -- it's impossible to maintain "social distancing" if you're getting a haircut, a massage, a tattoo, or a manicure.
      Yes I agree, "influenced by" probably is better than "suffering from". Was just trying to show the different perspectives, and that for me the more local descisons are made and enforced the better.

And while I hate the implications on those who provide the services in your edit statement, I agree they probably need to be looked at closer than other business due to the nature of the intense contact.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • And now for something completely different...

My son called today to let me know his hike is cancelled. His buddy was going to fly from Boston to PA and stay with his parents for a couple of days prior to the hike. Then the parents would shuttle him and my son to PenMar. His buddy is apparently pretty smart. The idea of traveling from a Covid-19 hot spot to stay with his at-risk parents didn't seem like a good idea.

I read a story today about an Ohioan who had called the coroavirus situation "a pile of bullshit". He died from his infection. Karma is a cruel mistress.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Trillium wrote:

I live in a metro area so I agree I'm looking at this thru that perspective. Although I'll quibble with the term "suffering" -- I think "influenced" is a better adjective. :) The mayors say that they were not consulted by the governor before his announcement. The mayor of Albany -- the hardest hit area in the state -- said he learned about it when he saw it on TV.

Yes I agree, "influenced by" probably is better than "suffering from". Was just trying to show the different perspectives, and that for me the more local descisons are made and enforced the better.
      And while I hate the implications on those who provide the services in your edit statement, I agree they probably need to be looked at closer than other business due to the nature of the intense contact.
      I don't understand how states can open up without proper personal protection. There's not a single store in our town where you can buy a face mask. I can see opening up certain places if everyone wore a surgical or N95 mask. But if you're wearing a cloth mask and no one else is, what's the point? A cloth mask doesn't protect you. The other day at the grocery store I had on my n95 and only saw two others covering their face. Then I had to go to Walmart pharmacy. Same there, I only saw about two people covering their face. I'd much rather wear a surgical mask than a n95, more comfortable. Luckily I don't have to wear the 95 like my wife does, 8-12 hours a day. Reminds me of my days doing asbestos removal. Atleast that respirator gave you a breeze in your face....
    • If you are a gov't worker, teacher, etc. getting paid whether you work or not you dont care if the shut down never stops...if you are a guy with 3-4 kids to feed, mortgage to pay, bills to pay you want this shyt to end yesterday...the haves dont understand that if this continues long enough they will also become the have nots.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Ohio had their weekly Covid-19 briefing today and invited an infectious disease expert from Ohio State University. Here was his take on the face covering debate.

Scenario #1:
      • Infected person coughs or sneezes onto surfaces or into their hands, then touches surfaces.
      • Surface is not cleaned.
      • Non-infected person touches surface with virus.
      • Non-infected person touches face with hands that have virus.
      • Non-infected person becomes infected.

Scenario #2:
      • Infected person wears some type of mask and coughs or sneezes. Fewer viruses are transmitted onto surfaces. Infected person washes their hands. Their mask protects others, not themselves.
      • Surface is cleaned by store. Fewer viruses to cause infections.
      • Non-infected person wears some type of mask, making it more difficult to touch their nose and mouth. Fewer opportunities to introduce the virus into the body. Non-infected person washes their hands before touching their face.
      • Risk of virus transmission is greatly reduced.

These are the two extremes, but each step decreases the risk.

Ohio is opening more businesses on May 1st by implementing the steps that have been successfully used for several weeks at 'essential' businesses. If this first wave does not lead to an increase in infections, other businesses will be added, all following the same mitigation steps.

Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Dmax wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I have a hard time with wearing a mask at work as every time I exhale into the mask my glasses fog up. I need to be able to hold my breath all day. ???
      If you can put your glasses over the top edge of your mask, that will help a lot. My wife is washing her glasses with soup and just letting them dry with the soap on them.
      Cat Crap may also help. AnotherKevin swears by it. Bought some after my experience on Mt Lafayette in summer of 2018. Fortuanetly not needed yet, but in my pack now for hiking in NH/ME.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Ohio had their weekly Covid-19 briefing today and invited an infectious disease expert from Ohio State University. Here was his take on the face covering debate.

Scenario #1:
      • Infected person coughs or sneezes onto surfaces or into their hands, then touches surfaces.
      • Surface is not cleaned.
      • Non-infected person touches surface with virus.
      • Non-infected person touches face with hands that have virus.
      • Non-infected person becomes infected.

Scenario #2:
      • Infected person wears some type of mask and coughs or sneezes. Fewer viruses are transmitted onto surfaces. Infected person washes their hands. Their mask protects others, not themselves.
      • Surface is cleaned by store. Fewer viruses to cause infections.
      • Non-infected person wears some type of mask, making it more difficult to touch their nose and mouth. Fewer opportunities to introduce the virus into the body. Non-infected person washes their hands before touching their face.
      • Risk of virus transmission is greatly reduced.

These are the two extremes, but each step decreases the risk.

Ohio is opening more businesses on May 1st by implementing the steps that have been successfully used for several weeks at 'essential' businesses. If this first wave does not lead to an increase in infections, other businesses will be added, all following the same mitigation steps.

Not many wearing masks around here, but had an interesting thing happen earlier this week. Driving home from work, look in my rearview mirror and recognize my youngest son driving behind me delivering pizza. Recoginze the green Papa Johns shirt, but I am like why is he wearing a white collared shirt underneath it. Looked like the preppies from the 80s (surely I raised him better than that :rolleyes: ) . Then as I slowed down to turn as he passed me I realized it was a white mask pulled down. I assume he pulls it up when he does the delivery. :)
    • Dmax wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I have a hard time with wearing a mask at work as every time I exhale into the mask my glasses fog up. I need to be able to hold my breath all day. ???
      If you can put your glasses over the top edge of your mask, that will help a lot. My wife is washing her glasses with soup and just letting them dry with the soap on them.
      I suppose she using a consomme as opposed to, say, tomato. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Dmax wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

Cat Crap may also help. AnotherKevin swears by it. Bought some after my experience on Mt Lafayette in summer of 2018. Fortuanetly not needed yet, but in my pack now for hiking in NH/ME.
      OK, I'll bite. Just what exactly do you mean by Cat Crap ?
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

Dmax wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

OK, I'll bite. Just what exactly do you mean by Cat Crap ?
      amazon.com/EK-USA-Multi-Use-Co…rap&qid=1587774326&sr=8-9

amazon.com/EK-USA-Crap-Anti-fo…rap&qid=1587774398&sr=8-6
    • Cat Crap Anti-Fog Review
      [IMG:https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/c8453d1c28889f2088865640bc8b23ca?s=24&d=mm&r=g] BILL C FEBRUARY 28, 2004
      [email=?subject=Cat%20Crap%20Anti-Fog%20Review&body=Checkout+this+url+https%3A%2F%2Fwww.webbikeworld.com%2Fcat-crap-anti-fog-review%2F][/email]
      [IMG:https://www.webbikeworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/02/helmet-visor-defog.jpg]

Cat Crap: What’s In A Name?
      Cat Crap is a wax-like anti-fog treatment for the inside of goggles or visors.
      It can be applied with a fingertip.
      Rub a tiny bit on to the inside of a helmet visor and buff it out, just like applying an automotive polish.
      Cat Crap seems to work well and isn’t noticeable inside the helmet visor.
      A webBikeWorld reader named “J.W.” sent us this:
      “Cat Crap was named for the Caterpillar equipment used to haul skiers and boarders up to the tops of mountains that have no lifts.”
      “These are some of the hard-core slopes, for some of the hard core snow bums. I have some Cat Crap lip moisturizer!”
      Editor’s Note: See below for note on where to purchase Cat Crap.
      Where do they come up with names like this? Let me tell you something — I have a cat, and as any cat owner would know, the last thing you’d want anywhere near your helmet visor is cat crap!
      But, I’ve got to hand it to ’em, this stuff works. webBikeWorld visitor “A.B.” first told us about this product, and with a name like “Cat Crap”, we had to give it a try.
    • PA requires mask use for entering any businesses. Went to the beer store and the grocery store and there was 100% conformance.

The grocery store had one-way signs for the aisles and 6 foot distancing signs on the floor in front of the deli counter. So what did one couple do? Ma charged up to the counter in between me and the person 6 feet to my left. Pa parks his cart behind me and stood within arms reach. To say I publicly humiliated the pair of them would be an understatement.

Man did it feel good.

• Astro wrote:

Cat Crap Anti-Fog Review
      [IMG:https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/c8453d1c28889f2088865640bc8b23ca?s=24&d=mm&r=g] BILL C FEBRUARY 28, 2004

[IMG:https://www.webbikeworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/02/helmet-visor-defog.jpg]

Cat Crap: What’s In A Name?
      Cat Crap is a wax-like anti-fog treatment for the inside of goggles or visors.
      It can be applied with a fingertip.
      Rub a tiny bit on to the inside of a helmet visor and buff it out, just like applying an automotive polish.
      Cat Crap seems to work well and isn’t noticeable inside the helmet visor.
      A webBikeWorld reader named “J.W.” sent us this:
      “Cat Crap was named for the Caterpillar equipment used to haul skiers and boarders up to the tops of mountains that have no lifts.”
      “These are some of the hard-core slopes, for some of the hard core snow bums. I have some Cat Crap lip moisturizer!”
      Editor’s Note: See below for note on where to purchase Cat Crap.
      Where do they come up with names like this? Let me tell you something — I have a cat, and as any cat owner would know, the last thing you’d want anywhere near your helmet visor is cat crap!
      But, I’ve got to hand it to ’em, this stuff works. webBikeWorld visitor “A.B.” first told us about this product, and with a name like “Cat Crap”, we had to give it a try.
      OK, our kitty cat is feeling relieved :D
    • Great to see George at the front. A little irony since John and Paul seemed to always to push him to the background.

Another interesting point lefthanded Paul has right foot forward (reverse of the others), and of course some used to say his being bare foot tied back to the "Paul is Dead" thing.
    • Hot off the AMC press...

outdoors.org/articles/newsroom/amc-preparations-for-covid-19

<snip>

FACILITY AND PROGRAM CLOSURES IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19

Closed for the remainder of 2020:

• All AMC High Mountain Huts – Guests may rebook their trip for 2021 or move their existing reservation to another AMC facility. Guests with a lodge-to-hut trip may move their entire visit to a lodge, receive a credit to be used within two years, or receive a full refund.
      • AMC’s White Mountain Hiker Shuttle
      (more details and closures in the link)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Hot off the AMC press...

outdoors.org/articles/newsroom/amc-preparations-for-covid-19

<snip>

FACILITY AND PROGRAM CLOSURES IN RESPONSE TO COVID-19

Closed for the remainder of 2020:

• All AMC High Mountain Huts – Guests may rebook their trip for 2021 or move their existing reservation to another AMC facility. Guests with a lodge-to-hut trip may move their entire visit to a lodge, receive a credit to be used within two years, or receive a full refund.
      • AMC’s White Mountain Hiker Shuttle
      (more details and closures in the link)
      Trying to process what this means to my current plans. Could still stay at Joe Dodge Lodge (~7/7) and leave my car there. Would NOT be abe to stay at Carter Notch Hut. Rattle River Lodge & Hostel is still open to stay and pickup my resupply (only carrying 3 days food at start). Still waiting to hear back from Shaw's (was hoping to park there during 100 mile wilderness).

I know LIHikers mentioned something about camping near Carter Notch Hut (because of their dog). Will have to check the map after I get home tonight.

The buffer of the windows are closing, but there is still hope. :)
    • ^
      Dayum. I guess I'd need to bring a tent if I want to complete the Franconia Ridge orphan this summer. Same for the Pinkham Notch - Gorham section.

I really liked carb loading with the freshly-baked bread at dinner time. ;(

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

^
      Dayum. I guess I'd need to bring a tent if I want to complete the Franconia Ridge orphan this summer. Same for the Pinkham Notch - Gorham section.

I really liked carb loading with the freshly-baked bread at dinner time. ;(
      Yeah, the huts are expensive, but sure do enjoy those two meals and a warm bed. And if you are just carrying a daypack, even better. :)
    • I got this from the ATC via email a couple hours ago.

appalachiantrail.org/home/comm…e-engaging-with-the-trail

<snip>

For now, our guidance is still in effect. The ATC urges everyone — visitors, volunteers and Trailside community residents alike — to stay off the A.T. to keep both the Trail and its broader community safe and healthy.

Click the link to read about the "task force" that the ATC is creating.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I got this from the ATC via email a couple hours ago.

appalachiantrail.org/home/comm…e-engaging-with-the-trail

<snip>

For now, our guidance is still in effect. The ATC urges everyone — visitors, volunteers and Trailside community residents alike — to stay off the A.T. to keep both the Trail and its broader community safe and healthy.

Click the link to read about the "task force" that the ATC is creating.
      My fear is that "actual hikers" will not be represented on this tak force.
    • Update today from the ATC:

<snip>

An Update for 2020 A.T. Hikers

In the meantime, many of you are considering alternative options to return to the Trail: for thru-hikers, this might include embarking on a southbound or flip flop hike later in the season; for day or overnight hikers, this might include proceeding with hiking plans as usual, anticipating that the Trail might be a more isolated place. Before deciding whether you will resume your journey on the A.T., it is important to understand the many obstacles to hiking right now (and for the foreseeable future). There are restrictions in place in almost all of the fourteen states the Trail passes through, including fourteen-day mandatory quarantines in multiple states and official closures affecting almost 1,000 miles of the Trail. More than 100 shelters on the Trail are closed; those that are open are locations where COVID-19 could potentially be contracted on contaminated surfaces or spread due to inadequate physical distancing. In addition, we continue to receive reports that resupply options and transportation to and from the Trail are exceptionally challenging and — in some areas — almost impossible. For day and overnight hikers, crowds at popular areas make practicing social distancing difficult, increasing the chances of contracting or spreading COVID-19.

appalachiantrail.org/official-…e47lD-Xb18QRTRvM06PAi-bXk
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

Astro wrote:

Saw Maine is opening up retail and other things, so hopefully more positive news coming.
      I think that is due to people putting pressure on the govenor not because the govenor thinks it's a good idea.
      Well good for the people. I believe when this "is over" a lot of people are going to look back and be shocked at how easily they allowed their freedom to be taken away.