Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Corona Virus and the Trail

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

It's now officially everwhere -- 36 positives in Antarctica which up to now was the only continent not to have a positive case. The research station is undergoing its annual changeover of personnel.
      Turkmenistan also has has no cases, at least according to government stats. In reality, thousands are dying from Covid but the "president for life" (i.e. dictator) Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow has declared the country to be Covid free, so it is. And to make sure it stays that way, a guy who took a picture of the WHO delegation investigating Covid cases was sent to prison for 4 Years. No word yet on exactly how the UK Ambassador in Ashgabat got Covid in a Covid free country. I hope it doesn't hurt his singing voice. He like to sing Tukmen folk songs.

<media> </media>
    • max.patch wrote:

Couldn't we delete comments in the past?

(I put something here that belonged elsewhere.)
      I don'y remember that, but I'm sure there is a setting here somewhere that would allow it if I could only find it.. What I think most people have been doing for a while is the classic Edit and Replace with...
      ...................................................................................................................

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Couldn't we delete comments in the past?

(I put something here that belonged elsewhere.)
      I don'y remember that, but I'm sure there is a setting here somewhere that would allow it if I could only find it.. What I think most people have been doing for a while is the classic Edit and Replace with......................................................................................................................

Scott
      Not a big deal. I was just curious when I didn't see a "delete" choice.
      2,000 miler
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Cool. To be honest, I had to google Turkmenistan to find out where it is.
      what's curious is that everyone knows where Iran and Afghanistan are but no one knows the country that shares a 900 mile border with them on the north.
      That is because they go about peacefully minding their own business. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Bad news. On Christmas Eve, my wife received an email from the administration of her father's facility informing her that ~25% of the residents had tested positive for Coronavirus.

Worse news. On New Year's Day evening, she received another email that over 50% of the residents were now infected.

30 minutes before the 2nd email, she received a call that her father had passed peacefully after enjoying his evening snack. It wasn't welcome news, but the fact that he didn't suffer or exhibit any symptoms was a blessing. RIP Joe. 1927 - 2021.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Bad news. On Christmas Eve, my wife received an email from the administration of her father's facility informing her that ~25% of the residents had tested positive for Coronavirus.

Worse news. On New Year's Day evening, she received another email that over 50% of the residents were now infected.

30 minutes before the 2nd email, she received a call that her father had passed peacefully after enjoying his evening snack. It wasn't welcome news, but the fact that he didn't suffer or exhibit any symptoms was a blessing. RIP Joe. 1927 - 2021.
      Sorry to hear, but glad he not suffer. And when yoi make it to the 90s that is a pretty good run on this earth.
    • Among my circle of friends, acquantances, and relatives -- people I know IRL and talked to and shared a meal with -- I did not know anyone with Covid until Sunday. On Monday I learned of a second. (One was in ICU for a couple days and was then moved to a regular bed; the other (in another state and unrelated to the first) has no symptoms.) Today I learned of a 3rd -- the almost 2 year old grand daughter of the first person. This virus sucks.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• jimmyjam wrote:

LIhikers, sorry about your friend.
      Same thoughts from me.

Thanks to all for your expressions of sympathy. We're doing OK. The fear we had on Christmas Eve was that he would stat having breathing issues and spend his last hours in a hospital. Our thoughts are now with the families of the other residents at the facility. We were taken off the email list so we don't know how much further the virus has spread.

On a good note - my son received his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine last Sunday. He should be protected by the end of the month.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • Our neighbor Robert is a cousin of my wife. His son in law (used to be our neighbor) passed away Christmas Eve from Covid. The day after Christmas the trailer behind our house caught fire. Robert pounded on our door and when we looked it was fully ablaze. Roberts brother was still inside but there was nothing we could do. ( My wife was in a house fire when she was 12 and spent eight months at a Shriners hospital recovering. Every time we go out the door we see the burnt down structure. Gotta be tough on her. But she's a tough woman.). Then the next day my mother in laws nephew passed away from Covid.
      Hopefully that's the end for us with people we know that pass from this virus. But unfortunately I doubt it.

My wife got her shot on Monday. She said only 45% of the nurses took the vaccine at her facility.
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

My wife got her shot on Monday. She said only 45% of the nurses took the vaccine at her facility.
      That makes no sense to me. You'd think people -- especially medical professionals -- would know better.
      Maybe they do....they may know something we don't, but who am I to say. 8o 8o
      The internet should make us all smarter...but in many ways it's making us much dumber.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

That makes no sense to me. You'd think people -- especially medical professionals -- would know better.
      Doesn't surprise me. I know several people in the medical industry who feel the mask mandate is just window dressing. Yeah I personally try to follow rules, even if I know it may not make a difference. Although I have to admit I enjoy wearing my sheep masks the most. ;)
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

Doesn't surprise me. I know several people in the medical industry who feel the mask mandate is just window dressing. Yeah I personally try to follow rules, even if I know it may not make a difference. Although I have to admit I enjoy wearing my sheep masks the most. ;)
      Some think the vaccine is a way for the government to track them. Others think the vaccine changes their dna. They all believe in PPE now. Once the virus hit their facility they all gladly use their PPE. Most probably don't once they leave. But while they are hands on with positive residents they start looking for any PPE they can find.
      Fake news out of Washington and groups like Q and talk radio made it a political issue instead of the medical issue, that it is. My dad use to always say " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink ".
    • Dmax wrote:

Some think the vaccine is a way for the government to track them. Others think the vaccine changes their dna. They all believe in PPE now. Once the virus hit their facility they all gladly use their PPE. Most probably don't once they leave. But while they are hands on with positive residents they start looking for any PPE they can find.Fake news out of Washington and groups like Q and talk radio made it a political issue instead of the medical issue, that it is. My dad use to always say " You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink ".
      Anytime I hear about government surveillance conspiracy theories, I think about how you can always rely on the Simpsons to have already skewered it. Or as Dorothy Parker is credited with saying (when asked to use "horticulture" in a sentence): You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

• For the real deal on covid, including the vaccine, I go to this guy, who is a doctor and not prone to hyperbole, such as you find in the media. He specifically addresses the issue of safety with the vaccine and is interviewing a Dr Offit, who has been involved with production of vaccines in the past and is on an advisory board for the covid vaccine.

It's slightly less than an hour long, although I know a lot of Americans have issues with maintaining their attention span for that long ;)

• Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Dmax wrote:

There’s multiple reasons why some healthcare workers won’t get the vaccine. Some think it was developed too quickly and worry about long-term effects. Some have already had Covid. Some have a political agenda. Some say they aren’t in a high risk group so they are going to give theirs to someone who needs it more. All stupid reasons as far as I’m concerned. I received my second dose on Friday.

The virus is raging in my city with more than half the beds in my hospital filled with Covid patients. Many coworkers and their families have had it.

I’m very sorry for all the losses people have suffered. I know so many people who have lost family members the past two months, not necessarily to Covid, but it seems much worse than usual.

Mountain Mike lost his mom recently.

:(
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I am currently scheduled for February.

My wife is a High School teacher and starting last week can get a test every Monday. While none of us have had any symptoms since the funeral, since she was exposed more than any of us, it was nice when she got a negative result last week.
    • The hospital my PCP is associated with is starting vaccinations this week. 10 minutes after I got the email saying they were now taking appointments I logged on -- and everthing in Atlanta (one location!) was gone. They do have spots in suburbs and other cities available if I want to drive an hour or more which I don't.

The county is starting vaccinations tomorrow and the website was going to roll out the state created appointment system this morning. The website has been down all morning -- server issue. The county site is only a couple miles from home and it's drive thru; hopefully the appointment system will mitigate the potential for gridlock getting to it.

Like the rest of of the country -- this is not starting well.

Edit to add: The local paper just reported that the the county said that the website crashed due to the "overwhelming response."
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 2 times, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Edit to add: The local paper just reported that the the county said that the website crashed due to the "overwhelming response."
      Apparently installing a new appointment system on Monday for use that same day to schedule appointments starting Tuesday wasn't a good idea.

Social media isn't happy. Seems like quite a few people attempted to log on at 12:01 am and weren't able to do so. And those that are trying go old school and call em on the phone are all getting busy signals.
      2,000 miler
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Are they surprised?
      I married an older woman, so my wife qualified where I don't. But she went to the web page to schedule a vaccination time as soon as it opened and it crashed several times. By the time she got through, all spots were taken. Ug