Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

2020 Hiking Partners

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 2020 Hiking Partners

Hey there! I am hoping to score some good ideas and pre-planning notions for hiking the trail this year. Ideally I would like a partner or at least to know who I may be travelling close
      to! Anyone to chat? I'll check in rather frequently and check things out. Anyone know of any other forums? I know the Whiteblaze but a lot of these sites seem outdated!
    • StarttheClock wrote:

Hey there! I am hoping to score some good ideas and pre-planning notions for hiking the trail this year. Ideally I would like a partner or at least to know who I may be travelling close
      to! Anyone to chat? I'll check in rather frequently and check things out. Anyone know of any other forums? I know the Whiteblaze but a lot of these sites seem outdated!
      Make it to NH and ME by July and we might run into each other. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Best advice I have after walking over 2,000 miles of the AT is:
      • Go as light as you can, you will be carrying every stinkin ounce for over 2,000 miles (nearly 2,200 now not counting walking in and out of town)
      • Take a few trial hikes before with the gear you plan to use to dial it in
      • Plan at least one trial hike in bad weather (cold,rain, etc.) because sometimes that is the reality of what you will have
      • Assuming NoBo, wait until mid April to start if you can, the earlier you leave before that the more bad weather you will have which will slow you down and increase your cost
      • Having $5,000 saved up for food, hostels, shuttles, gear replacement. Some get by with less, some it costs significantly more. Key: being in the woods is significantly cheaper than in town.
      • The better shape you are in, the easier it will be starting out. Plan to start slow and build up miles as you go.
      • Verizon has much better coverage than AT&T
      • Never quit on a bad day
      • Treat your clothes with permethrin and spray on deet daily, Lyme disease is your worst threat
      • Have fun, take pictures, and try to log your thoughts as you go
    • Please ask any questions you have. This site has members who have thru hiked and others who have section hiked significant parts of the AT.

While most of us have various types of a sense of humor and like to joke around, no one should insult you for asking a question like happens at some websites. :)
    • Welcome StarttheClock,

I would not worry too much about securing a hiking partner before your start date. As long as you start in the busy spring season, you should be surrounded by thru-hikers. You are more likely to partner up with other hikers with a similar pace and disposition if you just start walking and interacting with the people you meet along the way. I do not know what the statistics are, but I am guessing that most thru-hikers that have a pre-start date partner, do not finish with that person at the end.

I wish you the best on your hike, and as Astro said if we can help you with your questions we would be happy to.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier