Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiking Plans for 2020

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• odd man out wrote:

Just got the guide book so I can start planning. Of course it may not happen until I retire in 10 years.

Jag förstår inte svenska. Talar du engelska?

Planning is a big part of the fun. Currently have AWOL 2020, Colorado Trail, and Ozark Highland Trail out, along with some maps.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That trail sounds nice even if it does have a lot of ups and downs. I have a book of trails in PA, I'll have to see what that says.
      I'b be interested in what it says if it's in there.
      The Black Forest Trail may be the most challenging and rewarding backpacking resource in Pennsylvania. Thos very rugged trail charges into and out of the chasm several times with many very steep ascents and descents before leveling off on top of the plateau.......many outstanding vistas in all directions........camping permits are needed from dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/tiadaghton.aspx.

That's. Some quotes from the book of PA hikes, that we have
    • LIhikers wrote:

max.patch wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

That trail sounds nice even if it does have a lot of ups and downs. I have a book of trails in PA, I'll have to see what that says.
      I'b be interested in what it says if it's in there.
      The Black Forest Trail may be the most challenging and rewarding backpacking resource in Pennsylvania. Thos very rugged trail charges into and out of the chasm several times with many very steep ascents and descents before leveling off on top of the plateau.......many outstanding vistas in all directions........camping permits are needed from dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/tiadaghton.aspx.
      That's. Some quotes from the book of PA hikes, that we have
      Wow that sounds challenging. I'll need to do some easier backpacking trips and work my way up to that one. Thanks, LIH
      2,000 miler
    • I have a two-three week section hike of the PCT planned for the end of May, and right now I'd say the chances of that happening are less than 1%. :( My next section was to be the Mojave desert (Agua Dulce north), so I dare not plan it for any later in the summer.

Maybe I could plan something in August further north, but my anal-retentive nature hates doing discontinuous sections.

Hikers, have any of you come to the conclusion that 2020 is just a lost year?
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Not yet, but when comes to stuff like I tend to be more on the optimistic side. :)

Bad thing is this is a good time to hike Ozarks Highland Trail, but still too busy with everything switching to online. Picked up another summer class when means more $, but also more work. Come July if NH/ME closed, it will be too hot and dry for OHT. I can handle heat, but not without any water flowing.
    • Was hoping to finish AT this year (3 weeks) and then possibly Colorado Trail in 2021 (5 to 6 weeks). Son getting married Aug 8, so CT thru hike not possible this year. But could possibly try a week to see how I handle the altitude and afternoon thunderstorms. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

Stick a fork in 2020. It's done.
      Meh. For long distance hikes, maybe. For me, I'm not using any vacation time through the quarantine and should be able to score a kitchen pass for September. Gotta have hope.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • If I wanted to do a legal 1 night backpacking trip right now in Georgia I have no idea where I could go -- I'd actually have to do a search and/or check out the list of known closures on my Ga Hiking FB page. The AT is closed, many of the trails in the National Forest are closed. The most popular day hiking trails in Georgia -- which also have plenty of spots for camping -- are closed and cars that ignore the signs have been towed. They're not picking on backpackers -- just keeping everyone off the trails for social distancing.

I could hike at a State Park (along with waaay too many other people) but any camping would have to be at a developed camp site.

I've taken trips before where we didn't know where we were going -- got in car, headed north, and figured it out on the way. The fact that I would have to do a search first to find a location is mind blowing.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

If I wanted to do a legal 1 night backpacking trip right now in Georgia I have no idea where I could go -- I'd actually have to do a search and/or check out the list of known closures on my Ga Hiking FB page. The AT is closed, many of the trails in the National Forest are closed. The most popular day hiking trails in Georgia -- which also have plenty of spots for camping -- are closed and cars that ignore the signs have been towed. They're not picking on backpackers -- just keeping everyone off the trails for social distancing.

I could hike at a State Park (along with waaay too many other people) but any camping would have to be at a developed camp site.

I've taken trips before where we didn't know where we were going -- got in car, headed north, and figured it out on the way. The fact that I would have to do a search first to find a location is mind blowing.
      With gas now at $1.10, you could broaden your horizons diving a little further without much expense. :)
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

If I wanted to do a legal 1 night backpacking trip right now in Georgia I have no idea where I could go -- I'd actually have to do a search and/or check out the list of known closures on my Ga Hiking FB page. The AT is closed, many of the trails in the National Forest are closed. The most popular day hiking trails in Georgia -- which also have plenty of spots for camping -- are closed and cars that ignore the signs have been towed. They're not picking on backpackers -- just keeping everyone off the trails for social distancing.

With gas now at $1.10, you could broaden your horizons diving a little further without much expense. :)
      IF I was going to go backpacking -- I would limit any trip to a location that I know could make round trip on one tank of gas for a couple of reasons. The simple act of filling your tank gives you possible exposure to the virus (fact) and at some point getting gas is going to be as difficult as buying toilet paper (opinion). And I'd hate to be out of town with more miles to get home than gas in my tank if supply issues arise. There is also the ethical consideration of staying as close to home as possible when recreating.
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

Planning to knock out the last 167 miles of the AT in July. Have Pinkham Notch to Grafton notch, and then Monson to Mt. Katahdin.
      Was planning to start 8 weeks from today. Spoke with Shaw's yesterday and ME is looking good. Still concerned about NH.

I guess I could do ME and if NH still not open, come back and finish in 2021.
    • Glanced at the first post on this thread about JJ's wife going on trip for 2 weeks with her best friend.
      Reminded me of the old Homer and Jethro song about how his wife ran off with his best friend, he didn't miss her but did miss him. ^^
    • Astro wrote:

Glanced at the first post on this thread about JJ's wife going on trip for 2 weeks with her best friend.
      Reminded me of the old Homer and Jethro song about how his wife ran off with his best friend, he didn't miss her but did miss him. ^^
      Their trip is cancelled until next year, so probably no section hikes for me this year other than some overnighters and maybe a weekender.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Glanced at the first post on this thread about JJ's wife going on trip for 2 weeks with her best friend.
      Their trip is cancelled until next year, so probably no section hikes for me this year other than some overnighters and maybe a weekender.
      I am getting a mother -in-law apt. With the M-in-L, and husband who's in a chair. My step is moving in with her Boy Friend, Ov got a new Job in New Haven............the hunt for a new home has resumed this week. So between the Rona and home hunting, I hope to get to go somewhere in Aug/Sept.........but the Huts will still be closed. :(
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

I am getting a mother -in-law apt. With the M-in-L, and husband who's in a chair. My step is moving in with her Boy Friend, Ov got a new Job in New Haven............the hunt for a new home has resumed this week. So between the Rona and home hunting, I hope to get to go somewhere in Aug/Sept.........but the Huts will still be closed. :(
      Wow! You are going to need a getaway.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Astro wrote:

Wow! You are going to need a getaway.
      I can swing by in July and sneak you out if you want. ^^
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Finishing the Foothills Trail in the next few weeks.
      I did not finish the FHT, I have about 12 miles to go. A family event was scheduled in Chattanooga so the hike was cut short.

The trip was fun, my son joined me for his first true BP trip. It was really hot which slowed me down...we saw a hiker suffering from the heat being helped off the trail by SAR. Thank goodness for all the rivers and streams which we took advantage of frequently to cool off. We also had thunderstorms which were great as the rain cooled us off and allowed us to hike a 14+ mi day on day 2.

We spent 2 1/2 days and 2 nights out and hiked 30+ miles. I’ll finish the last 12 miles as a day hike in the fall when it’s much cooler.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • LIhikers wrote:

We're still hoping to hike in Maine. Kathy wants to start by doing mount Katadyn (spelling) and then hike the 100 mile wilderness to the town of Monson. I hope we can get it done, but I'm doubtful due to situations created by the virus.
      I believe you will be fine with Maine.
      I was planning on doing that same hike (except possibly NoBo) after doing Pinkham Knotch to Grafton Notch in July.

Now my concern is that I will need to start with that and finish with the notches afterwards or in 2021.
    • It's looking like I might get a two week window to hike in October.
      Do you think it would be too cold to hike nobo from Pinkham Notch for about 10 days? My other option is Grand Canyon or rehike part of VA or the rehike some section south of Damascus.
      What's the hive mind think?
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

It's looking like I might get a two week window to hike in October.
      Do you think it would be too cold to hike nobo from Pinkham Notch for about 10 days? My other option is Grand Canyon or rehike part of VA or the rehike some section south of Damascus.
      when fantasizing about hiking, my mind always goes back to the GC. I was at the south rim for a few minutes in 1970 and at the north rim for a couple days about 6 years ago, but didn't walk more than a mile or so below the rim. I have been thinking about it ever since. October is probably about the best time to go, but doing two weeks of hiking would be logistically difficult. Getting any permit is tough, and with no resupply options, you can't venture too far unless you are comfortable with some of the very remote unmaintained routes. But I could easily do a week on the hermit Tonto SK loop with some side trips to some Riverside camps or the north side, like phantom canyon, and score a steak at BA/PR. Then with some extra time try for a cabin at BAL and spend a couple days hiking and exploring the rim. There are walk on sites at Mather Campground for backpackers too. Not sure what the restrictions are. Have had a hard time finding out more info.
    • odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

when fantasizing about hiking, my mind always goes back to the GC. I was at the south rim for a few minutes in 1970 and at the north rim for a couple days about 6 years ago, but didn't walk more than a mile or so below the rim. I have been thinking about it ever since. October is probably about the best time to go, but doing two weeks of hiking would be logistically difficult. Getting any permit is tough, and with no resupply options, you can't venture too far unless you are comfortable with some of the very remote unmaintained routes. But I could easily do a week on the hermit Tonto SK loop with some side trips to some Riverside camps or the north side, like phantom canyon, and score a steak at BA/PR. Then with some extra time try for a cabin at BAL and spend a couple days hiking and exploring the rim. There are walk on sites at Mather Campground for backpackers too. Not sure what the restrictions are. Have had a hard time finding out more info.
      The rangers hold back a handful of permits everyday for walk ups. Also I get priority for one permit since they cancelled mine in April. Lots of great day hike possibilities. Hikearizona.com is a great source.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Grand Canyon might be the best, especially if less crowded improves your lottery odds. My personal conncern with Pinkham Notch would be weather, since it probably a tough hike in normal conditions. VA is nice, but being in your backyard it is always a possibility, although foilage could be nice at that time.

Whatever you pick, I am sure you will have a great time. :thumbup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bring your rain gear and 'light' winter bag
      Consider the source of 'light' winter bag is from CT, not the south. :)
    • Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Bring your rain gear and 'light' winter bag
      Consider the source of 'light' winter bag is from CT, not the south. :)
      Hahahaha! I would take my 10 degree quilt, insulated air mat and 1/8" foam pad.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

JJ,

October weather could be anything, endless rain, snow, cold or cool. Peak foliage there is usually right around Columbus Day weekend. If I had 10 days I would shoot for something between October 4 to 14th to see the foliage turn. The weather might suck, but if you luck out and get a string of those crisp, cool New England fall days, you will see the closest thing to heaven on earth. And bring the 10 degree bag :)

It is about 100 miles from Pinkham to Rangely which would make for a relaxing hike with travel time on either side. If you want more miles Straton Maine is at 131 miles from Pinkham.

Scott
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Due to the pandemic, the nice people at Joe Dodge Lodge have extended my credit from 2019 to 2021! So I'm going to hopefully work things out to where I get up to Pinkham Notch before mid July next year and knock out some more trail. I'm leaning towards the Grand Canyon for October if this virus calms down. In the meantime I gotta have my gallbladder removed- bilinary dysknesnia yep it's not spelled right- but the old gallbladder is dysfunctional and causing me random pain and I'm told this is the only solution and I won't miss it. Going to be operated on by a robot in a week or two, y'all keep your fingers crossed and keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Due to the pandemic, the nice people at Joe Dodge Lodge have extended my credit from 2019 to 2021! So I'm going to hopefully work things out to where I get up to Pinkham Notch before mid July next year and knock out some more trail. I'm leaning towards the Grand Canyon for October if this virus calms down. In the meantime I gotta have my gallbladder removed- bilinary dysknesnia yep it's not spelled right- but the old gallbladder is dysfunctional and causing me random pain and I'm told this is the only solution and I won't miss it. Going to be operated on by a robot in a week or two, y'all keep your fingers crossed and keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
      I will be praying for you, but I also recommend you let them use anesthesia this time. :)
    • Astro wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Due to the pandemic, the nice people at Joe Dodge Lodge have extended my credit from 2019 to 2021! So I'm going to hopefully work things out to where I get up to Pinkham Notch before mid July next year and knock out some more trail. I'm leaning towards the Grand Canyon for October if this virus calms down. In the meantime I gotta have my gallbladder removed- bilinary dysknesnia yep it's not spelled right- but the old gallbladder is dysfunctional and causing me random pain and I'm told this is the only solution and I won't miss it. Going to be operated on by a robot in a week or two, y'all keep your fingers crossed and keep me in your thoughts and prayers.
      I will be praying for you, but I also recommend you let them use anesthesia this time. :)
      Hahahaha oh yeah I'm going under for this one. I think he goes thru the bellybutton and leaves no scar, that's what his video shows when a local TV channel interviewed him. He's been doing this for 17 years so I have confidence in him.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference