Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Hiker Rescues and Fatalities

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yep. All the news that's fit to print. As long as it generates revenue.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

Dog the Bounty Hunter is now on the case. He banged on the Laundries door but no one answered (did he really expect them to?). 3 million people have now viewed that video which was put up on Saturday and he made the tv news.
      Sad/ pitiful isn't it. Using a tragedy to bring attention to himself.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Switching gears...

I'm currently reading a book titled "The Last Traverse" about the search and rescue efforts for two hikers on Franconia Ridge. It's kind of bad to know the outcome before reading the book, but I guess that allows me to review all of the pre-hike actions and hiking decisions with a critical eye.

Timely, since I just finished my hike along the ridge. Good read so far.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • The closest I ever came to being involved in a recovery was when hiking the Mist Trail at Yosemite. Earlier that spring, several people died after deciding that it would be fun to go for a swim in the river above the falls. We were there later in the summer, and their bodies had not yet been found. But I knew that as the water levels dropped in the summer, victims tended to be revealed. So, I kept looking at the river, thinking that maybe I don't really want to be looking at the river (but human nature being what it is, you still look). Although I didn't see anything, it was only a few hours after our hike that they closed the trail to recover the bodies spotted by someone else. That was particularly deadly summer at Yosemite and it was all over the news. Early one morning in the parking lot just outside our lodge room there was a news team doing a live broadcast for the NBC Today Show about all the deaths at Yosemite that year.
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Switching gears...

I'm currently reading a book titled "The Last Traverse" about the search and rescue efforts for two hikers on Franconia Ridge. It's kind of bad to know the outcome before reading the book, but I guess that allows me to review all of the pre-hike actions and hiking decisions with a critical eye.

Timely, since I just finished my hike along the ridge. Good read so far.
      Good thing is we both made it. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

The closest I ever came to being involved in a recovery was when hiking the Mist Trail at Yosemite. Earlier that spring, several people died after deciding that it would be fun to go for a swim in the river above the falls. We were there later in the summer, and their bodies had not yet been found. But I knew that as the water levels dropped in the summer, victims tended to be revealed. So, I kept looking at the river, thinking that maybe I don't really want to be looking at the river (but human nature being what it is, you still look). Although I didn't see anything, it was only a few hours after our hike that they closed the trail to recover the bodies spotted by someone else. That was particularly deadly summer at Yosemite and it was all over the news. Early one morning in the parking lot just outside our lodge room there was a news team doing a live broadcast for the NBC Today Show about all the deaths at Yosemite that year.
      While doing Indian Guides with my oldest son in East Texas in 2003 the Space Shuttle Columbia crashed not too far away. We also walked by river where a search was going on for a couple lost in a canoe. Needless to say not a lot was shared about these things at this time with a 7 year old. :(
    • odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Such a very strange case. I don't think this conclusion will satisfy anyone, although it is probably the correct one...

cnn.com/2021/10/21/us/californ…-of-death-trnd/index.html
      Dis I miss something? Was there an explanation how it was hypothermia when the temps were in the mis 70s to 100s? I'm not doubting. I just don't understand.
      You read it too fast. :)
      Hyperthermia.
      2,000 miler
    • Shame that lack of judgement in unfamiliar circumstances, is so unforgiving. Although it do seem that all.....at same place...is unlikely. They were very close to their car....

If you have t read the book " Off the wall: Death in Yosemite", its a good read. Chronicaling all known deaths in the park ......~950 ish of them. Unbelievably easy to die in environments where people are just unfamiliar with the risks, and misjudge them.

I observed a lot of people dayhiking to popular overlooks on AT from trailheads. Young, old, lots of elderly too....1-3 miles.....uphill much of time.....no water or minimal in hot or very warm weather ....i was soaked with sweat

I met people day hiking farther than they should ..no gear....sometimes no maps....with numerous trails around...not going to make it back to car in daylight.....

I recall people dayhiking Mt Whitney from trail camp.....arriving on summit..,..tshirt and shorts......no gear.....at 7am it was still under freezing there.....

I guess im amazed we dont see more people in trouble requiring rescue. Ive worried about a lot of people I came across

The post was edited 6 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• Muddy,
      I agree that the heat can take anyone, it is the simultaneous nature of this case that is so perplexing. They did have a large water bladder with them, although it was found empty. If one adult was in distress, you would think the other adult would appreciate the danger they were in and grab the child and make a bee-line for the car. Decision making must have become muddled quickly? I know if it was me going down I would be saying 'honey, save the kid and then call for help'. And the dog too? All I can picture is that the dog stayed by the families side until the end.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Interesting.
      A number of years ago a filmmaker made a documentary about Everest and was looking for a helicopter mechanic to be part of the crew. The choice came down to me or another guy. The other mech was chosen as he had more experience on the particular model of helicopter they were to use. So I missed out on the chance of a lifetime . They operated out of one of the lower base camps.
    • IMScotty wrote:

Another retelling of this crazy day on Everest...
      Did you know the famous viral photo in the story was taken by Normal Purja, who incredibly climbed all 14 if the 8000 m mountains in just 6 months. For reference, the previous record was 7 years 10 months. And in that attempt, he summited Everest, Lhotse, and Makalu (#1, #4, #5) in 48 hrs.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirmal_Purja
    • odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Another retelling of this crazy day on Everest...
      Did you know the famous viral photo in the story was taken by Normal Purja, who incredibly climbed all 14 if the 8000 m mountains in just 6 months. For reference, the previous record was 7 years 10 months. And in that attempt, he summited Everest, Lhotse, and Makalu (#1, #4, #5) in 48 hrs.
      en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirmal_Purja
      That does sound quite incredible, but I suppose it is on the same thinking as those who thru hike the long trails.

That being, that once you have trained to do it, it is easier to do all the hikes in a short time as you maintain the high fitness level, rather than having to get used to it again each time you start a section after some time off.

In this case, probably helps with the altitude adjustments as well, with less time between being at the various high elevations.
    • The helicopter lift photo was pretty good. Made me shiver! Glad it was a happy ending.

I don't know if this was a thru hiker, but again, why the obsession with the early starts?
      You don't want to be in the bubble? There are plenty of better ways to deal with that.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

The helicopter lift photo was pretty good. Made me shiver! Glad it was a happy ending.

I don't know if this was a thru hiker, but again, why the obsession with the early starts?
      You don't want to be in the bubble? There are plenty of better ways to deal with that.
      That is why other than a week in GA-NC at spring break, I plan to start at Harpers Ferry in early May, then flip back to Harpers Ferry and head south to finish where I ended in March.

May be more like walking with Summer instead of Spring :rolleyes: , but I minimize problems with snow and cold wet weather. :)
    • Re: The Bubble

Smoking Sox was the commissioner of his suburban Boston-area Little League organization. So we always had to do our spring hikes in mid-March. No problem when we were hiking in Virginia, but we found ourselves in The Bubble once we got further south. On our hike from Dennis Cove to Damascus, we arrived at an empty Watauga Lake shelter but were soon joined by 10+ thrus. Much of the discussion was based on who was shooting for a specific shelter the next day and how many people would be there. The next day, I ran into a few of the thrus during mid-day and they quickly commented that they needed to get moving in order to get a spot in their destination shelter. Ugh!

We did two more March hikes and dealt with The Bubble each time before we vowed to finish our southern sections in early fall. Hiking in freezing conditions had a lot to do with that decision. So yeah... there are better ways of dealing with The Bubble than hiking in winter weather.

• Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

The helicopter lift photo was pretty good. Made me shiver! Glad it was a happy ending.

That is why other than a week in GA-NC at spring break, I plan to start at Harpers Ferry in early May, then flip back to Harpers Ferry and head south to finish where I ended in March.
      May be more like walking with Summer instead of Spring :rolleyes: , but I minimize problems with snow and cold wet weather. :)
      that's how I would thru hike if I ever did, except I would start Apr 25 (birthday) and maybe flip to GA and hike back to HF.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

That is why other than a week in GA-NC at spring break, I plan to start at Harpers Ferry in early May, then flip back to Harpers Ferry and head south to finish where I ended in March.May be more like walking with Summer instead of Spring :rolleyes: , but I minimize problems with snow and cold wet weather. :)
      that's how I would thru hike if I ever did, except I would start Apr 25 (birthday) and maybe flip to GA and hike back to HF.th
      Since you mentioned April 25 -- I started my thru on April 25 (was on the approach trail on the 24th, but started from Springer the 25th) and I had a couple cold nights in GA (but that's probably becasue I sleep cold). There were actually light snow flurries one day in the GSMNP; they immediately melted and nothing stuck but still...)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

No food. No water. No equipment.

Fixed it for ya.

hikerboy wrote:

2 idiots rescued from Appalachian Trail

15 mile day hike in winter in the Maine mountains. Ambitious, even for the most experienced winter backpackers
      Is it any wonder why New Hampshire has their liability laws for backcountry rescue? Maybe Maine will follow suit. Idjits like these two should be on the hook for at least a nice lobstah dinner for the folks that rescued them.

• StalkingTortoise wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

max.patch wrote:

No food. No water. No equipment.

Fixed it for ya.

hikerboy wrote:

2 idiots rescued from Appalachian Trail

15 mile day hike in winter in the Maine mountains. Ambitious, even for the most experienced winter backpackers
      Is it any wonder why New Hampshire has their liability laws for backcountry rescue? Maybe Maine will follow suit. Idjits like these two should be on the hook for at least a nice lobstah dinner for the folks that rescued them.
      At the least, they should have known that in Maine, "You can't get thayah from heyah"
      its all good
    • the story is behind a paywall…hope I don’t get in trouble for this.

“Grounded for two days in the Atlanta airport, Burtzloff had an epiphany while reading Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail." Realizing he was not far from the start of the trail, Burtzloff decided it was "destiny," left his luggage behind and headed to Springer Mountain.
      "I met some great people along the way, kind people," he said, citing the generosity of trail angels who outfitted him, fed him and lodged him.

Burtzloff said he ran into trouble after he left Fontana Dam, hiking a stretch of trail he said has no amenities.“

He got off trail into a creek bed/“ravine” where he and his gear got wet but was able to climb to higher ground to use his cell phone.
      Lost in the right direction.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• It's been a few days since hikerboy posted the article of the 2 men who were rescued when a day hike went bad. Remember the 70 year old in the article; Wayne Gage of Schenectady, NY? This wasn't his first rodeo. :)

Below is a post from Facebook (cut and pasted as everyone doesn't have FB) from 20118.

Got this from TOS. Proof that a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in a while.

NH Fish and Game LHikeaw Enforcement Division and Operation Game Thief

January 20, 2018 ·

Lost Hiker on Falling Waters Trail, Franconia
      At 6:30 pm on January 19, 2018 New Hampshire Fish and Game was alerted of a lost hiker on the Falling Waters Trail in Franconia. Wayne Gage, 67, of Schenectady, NY, dialed 911 after losing the trail and attempting to self-rescue by locating the trail again for approximately two hours. Two responding Conservation Officers from the Fish and Game Department were able to hike up Falling Waters Trail and locate Gage, who was 150’ from the trail in a steep drainage. Gage was uninjured and well prepared for a winter hike but did not have a compass or GPS unit. The group descended to the trailhead reaching the parking lot at 11:30 pm.
      Mr. Gage was equipped to handle extreme cold temperatures and ice on the trails but he did not have all of the Ten Essentials outlined in Hike Safe. Please visit www.hikesafe.com for a list of recommended hiking equipment. The Fish and Game Department would like to again remind hikers and adventurers to make complete preparations and safe decisions as they enjoy the White Mountains.
      2,000 miler