Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Overmountain Shelter Is Closed

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Overmountain Shelter Is Closed

the ATC sez...

As of today, Overmountain Shelter has been closed until further notice after U.S. Forest Service engineers found it to be structurally unsound.#AppalachianTrail hikers are advised to use Stan Murray Shelter two miles to the south, and the fields around Overmountain Shelter are still open for tent camping.

part of the movie "the winter people" was filmed here in 1987. i thru'd in 1988 so that was a topic of discussion at the shelter. 30 years later i don't know if that is still common knowledge as it was back then.

this is the large red barn that was converted to a shelter in the roan highlands.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

the ATC sez...

As of today, Overmountain Shelter has been closed until further notice after U.S. Forest Service engineers found it to be structurally unsound.#AppalachianTrail hikers are advised to use Stan Murray Shelter two miles to the south, and the fields around Overmountain Shelter are still open for tent camping.

part of the movie "the winter people" was filmed here in 1987. i thru'd in 1988 so that was a topic of discussion at the shelter. 30 years later i don't know if that is still common knowledge as it was back then.

this is the large red barn that was converted to a shelter in the roan highlands.
      I stayed there back in 2013. Probably should have taken more pictures. Slept upstairs.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • This is what I wrote in my journal back in 2013:

It was a day of beautiful views and it did not rain until late in the afternoon. The climb up Roan Mountain started off nice with lots of switchbacks, but near the end got steeper with roots and rocks. When taking a break near Roan High Knob Shelter a couple of "country club" type day hiker women stopped to talk to me. When I got up to leave and walked away I heard them say, "you can tell he is a hiker, look at his calves". Needless to say that made me feel good. Round Bald and Jane Bald provided more good views. After over an hour of walking in the rain made it to Overmountain Shelter. Area has history from the Revolutionary War and the shelter is a red barn that was used in the movie the Winter People. Nice views form the shelter. Slept upstairs in the barn (shelter). A family with 4 children that been in Singapore/Indonesia was there. Two of their children were born in the same hospital in Singapore has my middle son.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Overmountain is my most memorable night's stay on the trail, got there just before dark after 24 miles of torrential rain, wind, and cold...went upstairs, climbed into the bag, ate a slice of cheese and tried to get warm...but the next night at Mt Harbour was nice.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.