Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Things Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers Don't Say

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How about "The portion sizes in this trail-town restaurant are too big!"

"I'd much rather hike in the rain. It's like taking a shower while you're moving."

"I hear there's a great Ramen Bar in the next town!"

"Oh look... the shelter is full of mouse poop. That's a good sign that the forest is healthy."

"Hello random family at a trailside picnic area. I have some extra food if you need some."
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • odd man out wrote:

Let's NOT talk about any of the following:
      • How many miles I hiked today
      • Gear
      • The weight of my pack
      • The true definition of a thru hiker

well...i hate the way the definition of a thru hike has been watered down and bastardized to the point where the term is meaningless. and the ATC is partly to blame. mr. webster invented the dictionary because words have meanings -- at least they used to.

by the way...i hiked 5 miles yesterday. :)
      2,000 miler
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

How about "The portion sizes in this trail-town restaurant are too big!"

"I'd much rather hike in the rain. It's like taking a shower while you're moving."

"I hear there's a great Ramen Bar in the next town!"

"Oh look... the shelter is full of mouse poop. That's a good sign that the forest is healthy."

"Hello random family at a trailside picnic area. I have some extra food if you need some."
      Well done Stalking Tortoise
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier