Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I had the pleasure of running for a few hours in Portland's Forest Park while visiting the area. Wow! Visually stunning, truly the best maintained and marked trails I've ever run on (whole topo maps at many intersections!), 45F (ahhh), beautiful woods full of evergreen and fern ... incredible.

Check out the quality of the park supplied map!!

Need to up the contour interval by about 4x, but otherwise superb. A few folks on the lower Leif Erickson trail, only a very few on the upper Wildwood Trail.

Track Here
    • I'm heading out late this afternoon, I'll spend the week end on the trails around Mt Cheaha, probably do the Pinhoti/Cave Creek loop, spend Saturday night where the Silent & Pinhoti trails intersect...maybe I'll find those two lost hikers...or join them.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • HamSandwich wrote:

I had the pleasure of running for a few hours in Portland's Forest Park while visiting the area. Wow! Visually stunning, truly the best maintained and marked trails I've ever run on (whole topo maps at many intersections!), 45F (ahhh), beautiful woods full of evergreen and fern ... incredible.

Need to up the contour interval by about 4x, but otherwise superb. A few folks on the lower Leif Erickson trail, only a very few on the upper Wildwood Trail.

Track Here
      That is a sweet map. It's nice that Portland is so open about its data. (I've noticed that in other contexts as well.) Most localities make it very hard to get good GIS data or good maps, because they have a vague idea that the data might be a profit center someday. Portland (and New York City, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and a few other localities) puts it all right out in the open and tells everyone they're free to use it.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Went for a walk up the biggest hill within 50 miles, Mt Lindsey.
      Had a lot of wind rain and hail.
      Thoroughly enjoyed it.
      Did about 1 and 1/2 miles up and then back again.
      Apologies pics are sideways.
      Images
      • 20151005_143653_001.jpg

93.98 kB, 800×450, viewed 278 times
      • 20151005_160630.jpg

196.09 kB, 800×450, viewed 271 times
      • 20151005_133559.jpg

206.92 kB, 800×450, viewed 257 times
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

HamSandwich wrote:

I had the pleasure of running for a few hours in Portland's Forest Park while visiting the area. Wow! Visually stunning, truly the best maintained and marked trails I've ever run on (whole topo maps at many intersections!), 45F (ahhh), beautiful woods full of evergreen and fern ... incredible.

Track Here
      That is a sweet map. It's nice that Portland is so open about its data. (I've noticed that in other contexts as well.) Most localities make it very hard to get good GIS data or good maps, because they have a vague idea that the data might be a profit center someday. Portland (and New York City, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and a few other localities) puts it all right out in the open and tells everyone they're free to use it.
      I love 'open' data, too!! PA has full lidar data for the whole state (woohoo!) in their Navigator now, and Philly has a nice set of data in shape format ... putting those together allowed me to make a map of Philly's big park, Wissahickon Creek: dropbox.com/s/hx4tl0rjyxyuos0/Wissahickon.pdf?dl=0 (warning, it's ~10MB). I love maps. :)
    • HamSandwich wrote:

I love 'open' data, too!! PA has full lidar data for the whole state (woohoo!) in their Navigator now, and Philly has a nice set of data in shape format ... putting those together allowed me to make a map of Philly's big park, Wissahickon Creek: dropbox.com/s/hx4tl0rjyxyuos0/Wissahickon.pdf?dl=0 (warning, it's ~10MB). I love maps. :)

I love 'em too - and make a lot of them. Lately, mostly, I make maps for my smart-ass phone. Check out kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/te…=44.1396&lo=-74.1264&z=14 or kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/te…=42.6373&lo=-73.1666&z=14 for an example. You should be able to pan&zoom all over the place. The Northville-Placid Trail alignment there is all corrected from my GPS tracks. You'll see that most of the waterbodies in the first map have two shorelines. Those are the usual seasonal variations of water level.

Virtually nobody even has decent data about trails any more. For instance, I think I have everything about the NY State Forest Preserve that the state has - and the trail alignments look as if they were digitized from a 1:100,000 or 1:250,000 scale map. They're really, really sloppy. When you go GPS grabbing, do you transfer the trails to OpenStreetMap? The work of citizen mappers like us appears to be all that's going to make the next generation of maps even possible.
    • OzJacko wrote:

Went for a walk up the biggest hill within 50 miles, Mt Lindsey.
      Had a lot of wind rain and hail.
      Thoroughly enjoyed it.
      Did about 1 and 1/2 miles up and then back again.
      Apologies pics are sideways.
      Oz, when did y'all switch from the "land down under" to the "land sideways"? :D
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • i did a couple 5 mile day hikes this weekend; saturday the last 2 miles were in a fine mist, sunday the last mile was a fine mist. i enjoyed the mid 60s temps - even with a wet footpath and some misting it was a nice change from the 90 degrees that wasn't too long ago.

i didn't go to north georgia, but nothing i've seen or read would give credence to the whiteblaze warning that it was going to rain sooo much that the mountains could erode away into the valleys. i'm betting that the blood mountain shelter is still safely anchored on the summit.
      2,000 miler
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Virtually nobody even has decent data about trails any more. For instance, I think I have everything about the NY State Forest Preserve that the state has - and the trail alignments look as if they were digitized from a 1:100,000 or 1:250,000 scale map. They're really, really sloppy. When you go GPS grabbing, do you transfer the trails to OpenStreetMap? The work of citizen mappers like us appears to be all that's going to make the next generation of maps even possible.
      Very nice stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I have a series of GPS grabs (my running trails) that I should publish to OSM. They need a good cleaning and normalizing first ... but I'm guessing I've got the best set for the Crum Creek watershed in SE PA. :) My orienteering club has a lot of data too, in our OCAD maps, but many are not georeferenced, so it's a good bit of work (and I'm the only one even thinking about it) to go from those maps to OSM. The cold, dark, nothin' (well, a bit less) to do winter is coming though. ;)
    • HamSandwich wrote:

My orienteering club has a lot of data too, in our OCAD maps, but many are not georeferenced, so it's a good bit of work (and I'm the only one even thinking about it) to go from those maps to OSM. The cold, dark, nothin' (well, a bit less) to do winter is coming though. ;)

There's a plugin to QGIS for image referencing. As long as your maps are to scale, it's not that bad to use. I used an orienteering map as the basis for this area before I spent a few Saturdays walking the trails multiple times to correct the alignments (which were already pretty good, as it turned out). You just wind up clicking back and forth between the scanned orienteering map and an already-loaded topo, and then letting the georeferencer do its thing. Then you trace over the lines on the scanned map, in either QGIS or JOSM. I did the same thing here to pull in the preserve boundaries after I'd walked the trails.
      I still have a ton to do in that part of the world. There's a whole string of little nature preserves strung out along the escarpment there, and I've mapped only a handful of them.

It looks as if Ridley Creek and Taylor Arboretum are mapped pretty extensively, but I don't see a lot of trail stuff anywhere else near Crum Creek, so your contributions would be useful.

If you want to use my map as an image layer in JOSM or QGIS, shoot me a PM, and I'll get you set up.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

HamSandwich wrote:

My orienteering club has a lot of data too, in our OCAD maps, but many are not georeferenced, so it's a good bit of work (and I'm the only one even thinking about it) to go from those maps to OSM. The cold, dark, nothin' (well, a bit less) to do winter is coming though. ;)
      There's a plugin to QGIS for image referencing. As long as your maps are to scale, it's not that bad to use. I used an orienteering map as the basis for this area before I spent a few Saturdays walking the trails multiple times to correct the alignments (which were already pretty good, as it turned out). You just wind up clicking back and forth between the scanned orienteering map and an already-loaded topo, and then letting the georeferencer do its thing. Then you trace over the lines on the scanned map, in either QGIS or JOSM. I did the same thing here to pull in the preserve boundaries after I'd walked the trails.
      I still have a ton to do in that part of the world. There's a whole string of little nature preserves strung out along the escarpment there, and I've mapped only a handful of them.

It looks as if Ridley Creek and Taylor Arboretum are mapped pretty extensively, but I don't see a lot of trail stuff anywhere else near Crum Creek, so your contributions would be useful.

If you want to use my map as an image layer in JOSM or QGIS, shoot me a PM, and I'll get you set up.
      Yeah, some of our maps have pretty serious distortion, but it's not hard, just requires being motivated and having the time. :)

Access to your map layers: Nice! Will do!! Thank you!

I should compare your (Kayak Karl's) Batona to mine from my Apr 3, 2011 DIAD: attackpoint.org/sessiondata.jsp?sessionid=1830004 ... feel free to add to your collection, etc. (GPX/KML links there).
    • I took a paddle today behind the house, saw some grass moving at the water's edge and went to see what it was, I could see a small catfish tail flopping and something was dragging it out of the water onto land, at first I thought it might be a baby otter but it was a small snake, the fish was about 9" long and 3" in diameter, the snake was about 3/4" in diameter. I was curious to see how the snake could manage it but I knew it would be a slow process, I went back in about 20 minutes but there wasn't much change, the fish had stopped flopping but was still breathing, I'm guessing it took 3-4 hours to complete the meal...those pectoral fins had to be hard to get down without a puncture.
    • I've been strolling through our "land locked woods" hoping for nice foliage to shoot. But shooting it with my cell phone 'cuz my nice Sony camera is in the shop (damn!). Anyway, no brilliant reds yet, not in the woods anyway, except in some of the brush and shrubs. But plenty of yellow.

You can find bright red, but it seems it's mostly by the roadsides, not in the woods.
      Images
      • foliage.jpg

328.44 kB, 800×450, viewed 273 times
      • foliagetownhall.jpg

172.02 kB, 337×600, viewed 274 times
    • Here it varies by county as to what GIS data you can get from them. Most all counties have a very good GIS setup for VIEWING, but getting data for your own use can be variable. On the other hand..... SC DNR has a tremendous amount of free data for download that is statewide. If you are doing anything in SC and need data I would immediately urge you to go the SC DNR site. Every topo quadrangle is available as well as aerials, DEMs, etc. it's amazing the amount of data they have available and all of it is already georefenced so that aggravation is out of the way.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • rafe wrote:

I've been strolling through our "land locked woods" hoping for nice foliage to shoot. But shooting it with my cell phone 'cuz my nice Sony camera is in the shop (damn!). Anyway, no brilliant reds yet, not in the woods anyway, except in some of the brush and shrubs. But plenty of yellow.

You can find bright red, but it seems it's mostly by the roadsides, not in the woods.
      Went for a shortish walk with a friend in Maybury State Park and leaves are in various stages of turning. Still a lot of green but some nice yellow, various shades of orange and a little bright red. Did the soul good. Was my first walk in over 2 months since I tore my meniscus.
    • Trillium wrote:

rafe wrote:

I've been strolling through our "land locked woods" hoping for nice foliage to shoot. But shooting it with my cell phone 'cuz my nice Sony camera is in the shop (damn!). Anyway, no brilliant reds yet, not in the woods anyway, except in some of the brush and shrubs. But plenty of yellow.

Went for a shortish walk with a friend in Maybury State Park and leaves are in various stages of turning. Still a lot of green but some nice yellow, various shades of orange and a little bright red. Did the soul good. Was my first walk in over 2 months since I tore my meniscus.
      Welcome to the club.
    • Six of us did the MTS Trail from Balsam Gap to Hwy 215 this week end, info said 35 miles but it didn't seem that long, had one gal on the hike making her first backpacking hike, 30 miles in two days is pretty good for many long time packers but for the first hike I was afraid it'd be too much for her, be damned if she wasn't the strongest hiker of the bunch....but what would you expect from a farm girl, they learn early on you do what's got to be done...weather was perfect, highs in the mid 50's, low of 25*, when pouring water from my 2L Platypus into my drinking bottle I had to break ice from the hole several times while filling it, was my first real hike using a hammock set up...best nights sleep on the trail ever, learned I must have the knee cut on before I do any more real hiking.

Forgot to add...the wilderness section of this hike is a great place to get lost, three of us did a few extra hours of wandering, a lot of intersecting trails that lead you to pick the wrong one, definitely need GPS for this section.
    • Drove over (crossed) the BMT and AT last night. Unfortunately all I got to do today was walk a few miles on a Greenway at the local park. But is was still good to be out in nice weather.

Stopped by Outdoor 76 and 3 Eagles Outfitter. Sort of sad to see both of them over time cut back some on hiking gear to add space for coffee/bar and more stylish clothes. But I guess they have figured out that is what helps pays the bills, so I guess in the end that is a good thing.
    • Kathy and I went for a short walk today.
      We hiked the Plainview Loop, about 4 miles of suburban woods.
      We were within sight and sound of a parkway, the expressway, and a number of local roads, houses and businesses.
      We did this late in the day and finished right before having to break out headlamps.
      The weather was a little cool but not cold and without wind. In a word, it was a perfect day for a hike.
      I just wish we would have had more time to spend walking.
    • trebor knows this, but for everyone else - this is one of the most popular day hikes (although there are plenty of places to camp if you want to) in georgia. easy 5 mile out and back with the payoff of a neat waterfall at the end. if you went on a weekend afternoon you stood a real good chance of watching people rappelling down the cliffs that house the waterfall although that was made illegal a few years ago and i haven't seen anyone doing that since then.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

trebor knows this, but for everyone else - this is one of the most popular day hikes (although there are plenty of places to camp if you want to) in georgia. easy 5 mile out and back with the payoff of a neat waterfall at the end. if you went on a weekend afternoon you stood a real good chance of watching people rappelling down the cliffs that house the waterfall although that was made illegal a few years ago and i haven't seen anyone doing that since then.
      ah man, I'd be all over that crack. :D ...well, years ago anyway.
    • socks wrote:

max.patch wrote:

trebor knows this, but for everyone else - this is one of the most popular day hikes (although there are plenty of places to camp if you want to) in georgia. easy 5 mile out and back with the payoff of a neat waterfall at the end. if you went on a weekend afternoon you stood a real good chance of watching people rappelling down the cliffs that house the waterfall although that was made illegal a few years ago and i haven't seen anyone doing that since then.
      ah man, I'd be all over that crack. :D ...well, years ago anyway.
      This is a better picture of the large waterfall (80 ft or so). It's contained in a gigantic crack in the granite. I stole this picture from Google as the lighting was much better.
      RIAP
    • Rather than listen to my wife complain about picking me up I did 8-9 miles yesterday in the rain to get home from the auto shop, I needed to do some miles anyway to assess the knee, concluded I'm making the right decision to have it cut on, ortho surgeon appointment tomorrow, believe I'll have the trigger finger surgery at the same time while I'm under, it's been 4-5 months since I could really exercise and it's killing me.
    • Drybones wrote:

Rather than listen to my wife complain about picking me up I did 8-9 miles yesterday in the rain to get home from the auto shop, I needed to do some miles anyway to assess the knee, concluded I'm making the right decision to have it cut on, ortho surgeon appointment tomorrow, believe I'll have the trigger finger surgery at the same time while I'm under, it's been 4-5 months since I could really exercise and it's killing me.
      "Liked" not because the pain you are going through, but that you are ready to take the action to relieve it.
      After hiking nearly 7 weeks with a torn rotator cuff and then waiting nearly a month for it to get better, I am so glad I went to the Doctor, got the MRI, and scheduled the surgery. Rehab is no fun, but looking forward to getting out there with a pack again. :)
    • Kathy and I got up at O dark 30 this morning so we could be on the highest place on Long Island, Jaynes Hill, for sunrise. Because of the trees you couldn't actually see the sun but we waited around for a while as the sky got lighter and lighter. Then we walked through the park for a couple a few miles. I'll need a nap later because it's un-natural for me to get up that early, 6:30AM. Because of my work schedule I usually don't get to bed until 3AM so to get up at that early hour was tough. We did get lucky and saw 3 deer so I feel like it was worth it. This particular park has a few deer and fox besides all the usual suburban animals. And of course, as usual, neither of us remembered to bring a camera.
    • Didn't have the time this weekend to tackle any Adirondack High Peaks. So whats the next best thing? Catskill High Peaks! Decided to climb the highest Catskill Mountain, Slide (elev.4,180') and Cornell (elev. 3,860') The trail head is only hour and 20 mins from my house. I originally intended on waking up early and hitting the trail at around 7am, but I stayed out a little longer then I intended to last night. Didn't get to bed until way past midnight and was sort of lazy this morning. Hit the trail at 10:30 , summited Slide then Cornell, was back at my car by 3:45. Views weren't that great, somewhat treed in and they were sort of anticlimactic. Catskills are a big difference then what Ive been used to up in the ADKS. The trails are somewhat messy, lots of unauthorized campsites with fire pits, even above 3500'
      RIAP
    • A short bit of AT with Julie, near Glencliff. Our first hike together since spring.

We took a steep side trail (blue blaze) up Webster Slide Mtn. which gazes down on Wachipauka Pond.
      Images
      • DSC03700.jpg

235.82 kB, 800×533, viewed 173 times
      • DSC03711.jpg

197.48 kB, 400×600, viewed 159 times
      • DSC03721.jpg

288.45 kB, 800×533, viewed 173 times
      • DSC03722.jpg

246.2 kB, 800×533, viewed 175 times
      • DSC03731.jpg

278.27 kB, 800×533, viewed 164 times
      • DSC03738.jpg

191.54 kB, 400×600, viewed 168 times
      • DSC03741.jpg

267.18 kB, 800×533, viewed 155 times
    • A.T.Lt wrote:

Didn't have the time this weekend to tackle any Adirondack High Peaks. So whats the next best thing? Catskill High Peaks! Decided to climb the highest Catskill Mountain, Slide (elev.4,180') and Cornell (elev. 3,860') The trail head is only hour and 20 mins from my house. I originally intended on waking up early and hitting the trail at around 7am, but I stayed out a little longer then I intended to last night. Didn't get to bed until way past midnight and was sort of lazy this morning. Hit the trail at 10:30 , summited Slide then Cornell, was back at my car by 3:45. Views weren't that great, somewhat treed in and they were sort of anticlimactic. Catskills are a big difference then what Ive been used to up in the ADKS. The trails are somewhat messy, lots of unauthorized campsites with fire pits, even above 3500'
      I hope you took Curtiss-Ormsbee up Slide one way, because the Jeep road has no views, except for the little spot west of the summit where you can see across the Devil's Path to the Blackheads.

What were the conditions like in the Burroughs Range? When I was in the Cats this time last year, the snow was about boot-deep above 1800 feet or so. The snow line was just a little above the trailhead for the west end of Devil's Path on Spruceton Road. I'd find the trail down the east side of Slide to be seriously scary if it were icy. That slab just below the ladders is a killer!

There are three marked and authorized campsites on the ridge between Cornell and Slide, and at least one of them is above 3500 feet. There's also an authorized campsite on the Jeep road at about 3200 and one by the Phoenicia-East Branch junction. You're right about the mess. Slide is really popular. The west side, going up the Jeep trail, is about the easiest approach to any of the Catskill 3500's. Only Windham High Peak and Hunter up the bridle path are comparable. As I'm sure you noticed, the east side of Slide is a different beast entirely!

Did you find the little yellow-blazed side trail that goes to Cornell's true summit? That spot has a decent view. To get a really great view from the Burroughs you have to do Wittenberg. The view from the summit looking out over the Ashokan Valley is superb. When you get around to the other side of the range, there's also a wonderful view from just above the 3500 foot marker on the south side of Peekamoose. A lot of people do Table and Peekamoose from Denning and turn around at the Peekamoose summit. They miss the best part of the trip.
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

A.T.Lt wrote:

Didn't have the time this weekend to tackle any Adirondack High Peaks. So whats the next best thing? Catskill High Peaks! Decided to climb the highest Catskill Mountain, Slide (elev.4,180') and Cornell (elev. 3,860') The trail head is only hour and 20 mins from my house. I originally intended on waking up early and hitting the trail at around 7am, but I stayed out a little longer then I intended to last night. Didn't get to bed until way past midnight and was sort of lazy this morning. Hit the trail at 10:30 , summited Slide then Cornell, was back at my car by 3:45. Views weren't that great, somewhat treed in and they were sort of anticlimactic. Catskills are a big difference then what Ive been used to up in the ADKS. The trails are somewhat messy, lots of unauthorized campsites with fire pits, even above 3500'
      I hope you took Curtiss-Ormsbee up Slide one way, because the Jeep road has no views, except for the little spot west of the summit where you can see across the Devil's Path to the Blackheads.
      What were the conditions like in the Burroughs Range? When I was in the Cats this time last year, the snow was about boot-deep above 1800 feet or so. The snow line was just a little above the trailhead for the west end of Devil's Path on Spruceton Road. I'd find the trail down the east side of Slide to be seriously scary if it were icy. That slab just below the ladders is a killer!

There are three marked and authorized campsites on the ridge between Cornell and Slide, and at least one of them is above 3500 feet. There's also an authorized campsite on the Jeep road at about 3200 and one by the Phoenicia-East Branch junction. You're right about the mess. Slide is really popular. The west side, going up the Jeep trail, is about the easiest approach to any of the Catskill 3500's. Only Windham High Peak and Hunter up the bridle path are comparable. As I'm sure you noticed, the east side of Slide is a different beast entirely!

Did you find the little yellow-blazed side trail that goes to Cornell's true summit? That spot has a decent view. To get a really great view from the Burroughs you have to do Wittenberg. The view from the summit looking out over the Ashokan Valley is superb. When you get around to the other side of the range, there's also a wonderful view from just above the 3500 foot marker on the south side of Peekamoose. A lot of people do Table and Peekamoose from Denning and turn around at the Peekamoose summit. They miss the best part of the trip.
      I took the Slide-Cornell-Wittneberg trail. The conditions weren't bad. It was about 34 degrees when I parked my car and there were some patches of ice in spots but nothing that would have required spikes. I found the true summit for Cornell. I began down the V cut toward Wittenberg but opted to turn around and head back. My right calf has been acting up since I pulled it back in September. The views weren't bad in certain spots and I hear that Wittenberg has the most amazing views.
      Images
      • IMG_6957.jpg

174.17 kB, 449×600, viewed 183 times
      • IMG_6960.JPG

149.68 kB, 800×600, viewed 161 times
      • IMG_6961.JPG

159.73 kB, 800×600, viewed 181 times
      • IMG_6966.JPG

130.41 kB, 800×600, viewed 182 times
      • IMG_6972.JPG

339.18 kB, 800×600, viewed 173 times
      • IMG_6975.JPG