Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Traffic Jam wrote:

It is a great hike but Kimsey Creek Trail that goes from the AT to the Backcountry Information Booth next to SI campground wasn’t super enjoyable. A sign at the trailhead says it’s easy so I expected to cruise along and quickly finish but it was a lie. :)
      It's a nice loop; glad you were able to finally do it.

I like the KCT and have hiked it a bunch. Was it overgrown? I bet it hasn't had any maintenace on it all year. I took my Dad to Standing Indian via one of the non AT trails (forgot the name, I'd have to look at a map) and I don't think it had seen a maintainer in years.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

It is a great hike but Kimsey Creek Trail that goes from the AT to the Backcountry Information Booth next to SI campground wasn’t super enjoyable. A sign at the trailhead says it’s easy so I expected to cruise along and quickly finish but it was a lie. :)
      I like the KCT and have hiked it a bunch. Was it overgrown? I bet it hasn't had any maintenace on it all year. I took my Dad to Standing Indian via one of the non AT trails (forgot the name, I'd have to look at a map) and I don't think it had seen a maintainer in years.
      Sounds like you took the lower ridge trail up. If you came out by the turn off to Standing Indian, that was it.
    • Dmax wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

It's a nice loop; glad you were able to finally do it.I like the KCT and have hiked it a bunch. Was it overgrown? I bet it hasn't had any maintenace on it all year. I took my Dad to Standing Indian via one of the non AT trails (forgot the name, I'd have to look at a map) and I don't think it had seen a maintainer in years.
      Sounds like you took the lower ridge trail up. If you came out by the turn off to Standing Indian, that was it.
      Yep! That's the one.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

It wasn't overgrown but eroded, rocky, and muddy. I kept thinking, an "easy" trail means I should be able to take my mom on it and there was no way she'd survive that trail. I fell on some rocks that were perched above a fast-moving stream and could have slid into the water.

I was in quite a bit of pain at that point so my perception may be skewed. I didn't want to end the hike on a bad note so stopped, had a snack and some advil and the rest of the trail wasn't too bad.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Actually... a few weeks ago. We took a walk along the famous 'Cliff Walk' in Newport, RI. Not really a work out, but plenty to see...

a little sea cave. Can you see the Black Duck?

Reminded me of the opening credits from 'Dark Shadows' if anyone is old enough to know what I mean.

Plenty of 'Cottages.'

End of the Day

My wife, walking into the sunset (or actually away from the sunset).
      Did half the cliff walk, 3.5 miles in and out. I'll take it :)
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • LIhikers wrote:

Karhy and I have been to Newport. The "cottages" are amazing are amazing. Did you find the part of town where the houses are from the 1600s ?
      I have been to 47 states (HI, AK, MT) and happy just to knock them off. But now if I take my wife to RI the first time, I know a really nice place to take her. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • LIhikers wrote:

Karhy and I have been to Newport. The "cottages" are amazing are amazing. Did you find the part of town where the houses are from the 1600s ?
      Saw a few, but we only spent one night. Definitely more to see when I get back.

On Facebook I host a group called 'Weird New England.' It is mostly just me posting pictures of various quirky New England sites. One of the reasons for this trip was so that I could visit and post on the 'Newport Tower.'

This old stone tower has been the object of much speculation by amateur archeologists and historians since the 1800's. The evidence seems convincing that this is the remains of a perhaps wind driven stone mill built by traitor Benedict Arnolds grandfather in the 1660's (he was also named Benedict Arnold). However, many alternative pseudo-archeology books and articles have been put forth claiming it is of pre-Columbian origins. It has been attributed to Vikings, the Knights Templar, ancient Chinese sailors and so on. Whoever built it, it is the oldest standing structure in Rhode Island.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

I have been to 47 states (HI, AK, MT) and happy just to knock them off. But now if I take my wife to RI the first time, I know a really nice place to take her. :)
      Astro, RI is worth a visit!

One of my favorite areas is Charlestown where there are still some very pristine quiet beaches. Newport is a fancy town, Jamestown, RI is more of a working fishing town. Some interesting sites to visit, and great lobster and clam shacks.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Yesterday, Saturday, and last Sunday, Kathy and I took a walk on New York's Long path. It's a trail with one end at New York City and runs north for several hundred miles into the Mohawk Valley someplace. It's the ultimate goal to get it to the Canadian border, but that may take forever to be realized. We're doing it as day hikes since there's no camping allowed on the southern section. The trail runs along cliffs ( Palisades)hundreds of feet above the Hudson River and there are plenty of good views of the river, New York City, and the lower Hudson Valley. The trail has a lot of rocks, of every shape and size, as well as plenty of ups and downs as it winds through the trees. It eventually goes through Harriman State Park, but we haven't gotten that far yet. Before that it runs through a number of state and county parks and land. If we ever do get to hike to Ohio from NY this trail will be the initial part of the route which will require real stealth camping or spending nights in motels of towns along the way. While I don't have photos to offer let me suggest you read about the trail here and you can read about the Palisades here.
    • Hello LI Hikers,

I have hiked a short section on the Long Path near North/ South Lake and 'Artist's Rock' and the views were truly grand. I would not want to hike along that cliff walk when it was icy though.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • My walk yesterday combined exercise with business as I walked 1.82 miles to the Golf Course (and back) for a meeting with the Golf Course manager to prepare him for a meeting with the Director and the Rec Commission. That brought me to 11.1 miles for the first 6 days of January so I've met my goal. :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

Yesterday saw us back on the Long Path for 8 miles.
      26 degrees when we started and 32 when we finish.
      The sky was gray all day with a high, 100% overcast, and there was a moderate breeze.
      One photo I can share

Impressive yo go 180*, mine are usually only 90* off. ;)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • I explored some unmarked trails, going down whatever path looked interesting. Winter hiking is the best, it’s so very quiet and beautiful. One of the best parts of winter hiking is seeing all the animal tracks. It’s cool to see that we humans aren’t the only ones out walking around.
      Images
      • 47289897-91F9-456B-8426-98C0C6F3BFD3.jpeg

358.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 186 times
      • 121B440D-038C-48B7-8C3F-91980C1D5A50.jpeg

390.03 kB, 800×600, viewed 176 times
      • 958E9AA9-D654-4EB3-9A20-BD8272E0C336.jpeg

294.62 kB, 800×600, viewed 176 times
      • E3E20510-8A5C-47C6-867B-F12037AAB833.jpeg

382.69 kB, 800×600, viewed 170 times
      • 535B6799-F816-4CF9-800D-2CCA87B58B37.jpeg

386.57 kB, 800×600, viewed 180 times
      • 5AF2CEBA-328B-4D76-AAB7-6AC58C5130BD.jpeg

282.9 kB, 714×600, viewed 169 times
    • It’s stupid but I also took a pic of my favorite, insulated coffee container.

One of my favorite things in winter is to hike with my hot coffee. I hold my coffee cup with one hand, sipping as I hike, and a trekking pole in the other.
      Images
      • 303AA2E5-214B-4E8B-B661-7DEB9DC85175.jpeg

207.68 kB, 800×600, viewed 151 times
    • LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

It’s stupid but I also took a pic of my favorite, insulated coffee container.

One of my favorite things in winter is to hike with my hot coffee. I hold my coffee cup with one hand, sipping as I hike, and a trekking pole in the other.
      I'm a big coffee drinker, I should try carrying a thermos.
      Slowing down to sip the coffee is like slowing down to smell the roses. :)
    • LIhikers wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

It’s stupid but I also took a pic of my favorite, insulated coffee container.

I'm a big coffee drinker, I should try carrying a thermos.
      An interesting thing I learned from following Swedish online hiking groups is that in Sweden, a thermos seems to be a standard part of everyone's kit.
    • Well...not really. I walked about 3 steps from the kitchen door to the deck where I spent the night to see how I could handle the cold. It got down to 39 degrees and I stayed warm with the bag unzipped until 5:00 am when I woke up cold. Put on my hat and zipped the bag up and was fine until nature called at 7:30. I was planning on doing it again tonight, but the forecast has changed slightly and it's not going to get below 40. Friday night is possible; getting down to 30 but also supposed to rain so we'll see. I know I can sleep fine down to 30 -- that's when I did my last test -- but I've got a couple more years on me and a little less insulation and so does the sleeping bag. I'd really like to find out how low I can go and still be comfortable.

I've got a 2 person tent (my solo tent wore out a few years ago), but I think I may be able to talk myself into another 1 person with a side entry just to see if they are as good as advertised.

This concludes the most boring "trip report" on this site. :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

Well...not really. I walked about 3 steps from the kitchen door to the deck ...

I've got a 2 person tent (my solo tent wore out a few years ago), but I think I may be able to talk myself into another 1 person with a side entry just to see if they are as good as advertised.

This concludes the most boring "trip report" on this site. :)
      sounds like we need a "most boring trip report" thread.

You should try an X-Mid 1P tent and then tell me what you think. I've had my eye on that one when suffering from GAS (gear aquisition syndrome), but I decided I should prioritize elsewhere as I have a perfectly functional TT Notch.
    • Me, Kathy, and our son took a little walk today. We went to an ocean beach for a little stroll. There was a mostly clear blue sky with just a few clouds. The temperature was about 30 degrees and the wind was howling. We walked several miles along the beach and then walked inland a bit to get to the boardwalk that runs as a street between the houses. Then we walked the miles back to where we had parked the car. During our walk we saw lots of deer and some kind of small beach bird. We were at the Fire Island National Seashore.
    • LIhikers wrote:

Me, Kathy, and our son took a little walk today. We went to an ocean beach for a little stroll. There was a mostly clear blue sky with just a few clouds. The temperature was about 30 degrees and the wind was howling. We walked several miles along the beach and then walked inland a bit to get to the boardwalk that runs as a street between the houses. Then we walked the miles back to where we had parked the car. During our walk we saw lots of deer and some kind of small beach bird. We were at the Fire Island National Seashore.
      At the end of the Robert Moses bridge? I've been swimming there, very nice! I've yet to explore the communities on the island, though.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Last Saturday Kathy and I had to go to New Jersey to take care of something. Since we knew we'd still have plenty of day light left after taking care of the other business we brought our NJ trails maps with us (thank you NY/NJ Trail Conference). We picked Norvin Green State Forest to spend the rest of the day hiking in. We parked the car and hiked in on an old woods road until our path was blocked by a pretty good sized stream. We headed back on different, unmarked, trails until we got back to the parking area. There we found the one blazed trail in that part of the forest and followed it. As we were crossing a small stream my foot slipped off a rock I was standing on and went through the ice. And of course my second foot followed close behind the first so I found myself standing in water up to mid calf. After getting back to dry ground we decided we should head back to the car even though there were hours of day light left. That was the right choice because by the time we got to the car the lower part of my pant legs were frozen solid. At the car we changed into clean clothes and headed for home. During the drive we decided we'd be going back to explore this area as we'd never been there before.
    • My buddy and I went out to our part of LBJ National Grasslands. He'd reported an issue with a stream that USED to be very cross-able. It is anything but! Lots of debris floated down it and blocked it in at least three places. Making a 3 inch deep stream, 3 feet deep. We worked south to see if there was anyplace reasonably cross-able.....not really, at least not on any orienteering courses we would think people would chose for a route. SO, had to scratch one back country control and then work on a few others to "Make" the orienteers go around the mess. We hiked around 4 miles, started around 10 and finished by 3 (with a lunch break).
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork