Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Took a walk today

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Re:Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

That's sweet!

Thanks. The tarp is 7.4 oz and the net tent is 9 oz. I used my gatewood cape as a pattern and basically extended it all the way around to make it roomer. No zipper on the tarp "door" to make it lighter, the two pieces overlap and are held shut with strips of velcro. I was a little concerned that water would run in between the flaps but that didn't happen today. :)
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Took a walk today

CoachLou wrote:

milkman wrote:

Going on a picnic today with the FTA for the trail maintainers and volunteers. Does walking from the parking lot to the pavilion count as a hike?

Do what Moose does.....circuits.........around the pavilion.........much better scenery than a 5k in the living room. :lol:

Good idea. I think instead I'll do circuits around the food table in combination with high reps of 12oz. curls. It's a little warm here today. 72 right now going to 75 later. The sun is really beaming so gonna have to stay in the shade. Don't want to get to dark before Trail Days. They may mistake me for a foreigner.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

That's sweet!

Thanks. The tarp is 7.4 oz and the net tent is 9 oz. I used my gatewood cape as a pattern and basically extended it all the way around to make it roomer. No zipper on the tarp "door" to make it lighter, the two pieces overlap and are held shut with strips of velcro. I was a little concerned that water would run in between the flaps but that didn't happen today. :)

OK but does it still work as a poncho... or are you dragging now...I wonder what a GC with an extra strip weight in at.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

WiseOldOwl wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

That's sweet!

OK but does it still work as a poncho... or are you dragging now...I wonder what a GC with an extra strip weight in at.

No I didn't put a hood on it. The gatewood has snaps on the bottom which let you fold up the bottom foot of it. I use my parcho that I made from Questoutfitters for rain gear now that I have the cuben tarp. It works better than the cape. the parcho has a full front zipper and long sleeves that are adjustable. it is also specifically shaped to fit over you pack. It gives me full coverage to my kness for 8.7 ozs. Maybe one day I'll make it out cuben and then it will weigh about 4 oz.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

I'm glad people are getting out. I'm going for a run/walk, then eating sushi, then cycling. Eff cleaning the house.

Those were my good intentions. Instead I ran, ate Mexican food, drank beer, and took a nap.

It's all good. :woohoo:
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Took a walk today

AnotherKevin wrote:

Took a walk today, came home and took my wife to a belated birthday dinner.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow. It's late and I don't want to mess with uploading them now. I still have some GPS tracks to get sorted, too.

Finally got around to getting pictures uploaded and captioned. With several issues along the way, including getting called away to attend to malfunctioning plumbing and having the computer eat the first version of the trip report entirely. (And having a cat jump on the computer and scramble the pictures.) Not an easy report to get posted.

Anyway, I think this is one that doesn't count as 'hiking', but I'm not sure, clueless weekender that I am. In any case, it does count as walking.

[IMG:https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/13524217645_79790ceb4d_z.jpg]
      (Pond on Copeland Hill, Clarksville, NY. Click through to embiggen)

Report is at my blog.
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.
    • Took a walk today

I started in the Panorama parking area at Thornton Gap, walked up to Mary's Rock, continued on to Byrd's Nest #3 Shelter, walked down the Meadow Spring trail, and looped back along Skyline Drive. I saw three hawks circling on my way up to Mary's Rock. I also saw a few small songbirds. I saw five people and a small dog. The one heading north on skyline drive looked like a yellow blazing thru hiker. I said hello, and passed him in the tunnel.

The trail was snowy, slushy, muddy, and full of puddles. My shoes and socks were completely soaked within the first mile. I walked through puddles with little hesitation. My feet are good, no blisters. I wore low cut Merrell Moab Ventilators with one pair of Bugle Boy synthetic no-show socks purchased at a dollar store.

This walk was much shorter than my 19+ mile day hikes in GSMNP in mid September, or my all time record of 26 miles in Maryland, earlier in 2013. I am glad I did not take a pack today. I am 5 pounds heavier than I was in September, and not nearly in as good shape.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Took a walk today

AnotherKevin wrote:

AnotherKevin wrote:

Took a walk today, came home and took my wife to a belated birthday dinner.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow. It's late and I don't want to mess with uploading them now. I still have some GPS tracks to get sorted, too.

Finally got around to getting pictures uploaded and captioned. With several issues along the way, including getting called away to attend to malfunctioning plumbing and having the computer eat the first version of the trip report entirely. (And having a cat jump on the computer and scramble the pictures.) Not an easy report to get posted.

Anyway, I think this is one that doesn't count as 'hiking', but I'm not sure, clueless weekender that I am. In any case, it does count as walking.

[IMG:https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/13524217645_79790ceb4d_z.jpg]
      (Pond on Copeland Hill, Clarksville, NY. Click through to embiggen)

Report is at my blog.

Nice little walk. I enjoyed reading your blog.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Are you still hiking this weekend, JJ? It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend. :woohoo:

You bet. Taking Friday off headed up the valley first to see my daughter then i am headed up the mountain.

Awesome. Hopefully I'll be attempting another solo hike in the next few weeks :)

Are there camping restrictions in SNP?
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Are you still hiking this weekend, JJ? It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend. :woohoo:

You bet. Taking Friday off headed up the valley first to see my daughter then i am headed up the mountain.

Awesome. Hopefully I'll be attempting another solo hike in the next few weeks :)

Are there camping restrictions in SNP?

There is a fee to bring a vehicle into SNP. You maybe able to get around that if you park at Rock Fish Gap or Thornton Gap. You will need a permit for back country overnight use. Last I knew it was still free and available at the north or south ends of the AT in SNP. The permit describes all the restrictions regarding camping near trails, water, roads, buildings, and probably a few things I have forgotten. Have you looked at http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm?
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Re:Re: Took a walk today

Pick up the pass when you enter either at the ranger station or if you park at rockfish gap there is a kiosk in the woods 100 yards up the trail. Permit asks for camp sites i always write in "various ". It is 10 or 15 dollars to drive in unless u have a national parks pass. You can also park outside the park on Rt 33 at swiftrun gap eentrance and get the permit from the toll booth .
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Took a walk today

TJ,
      If you park at Rockfish gap, park up at the Visitors Center on top of the hill by the old Afton Inn. The Inn is now closed and I wouldn't park at the Inn but rather over by the Visitor Center trailer. Parking at the park entrance at Rockfish Gap is OK for a day hike, If you need a shuttle from the Rockfish and want to walk back to your car (my prefered way) there is a list of shuttlers for Waynesboro, some charge, some do not or you can hitch pretty easily most of the time. PM me if you need a list of shuttlers and I'll send you one tonight.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

jimmyjam wrote:

TJ,
      If you park at Rockfish gap, park up at the Visitors Center on top of the hill by the old Afton Inn. The Inn is now closed and I wouldn't park at the Inn but rather over by the Visitor Center trailer. Parking at the park entrance at Rockfish Gap is OK for a day hike, If you need a shuttle from the Rockfish and want to walk back to your car (my prefered way) there is a list of shuttlers for Waynesboro, some charge, some do not or you can hitch pretty easily most of the time. PM me if you need a list of shuttlers and I'll send you one tonight.

Thanks, JJ. When I was there this winter, I took a pic of a list with names and numbers of shuttlers. It was stapled to a sign. When I go back, I'll definitely plan on hitching.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Re:Re: Re:Took a walk today

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TJ,

Thanks, JJ. When I was there this winter, I took a pic of a list with names and numbers of shuttlers. It was stapled to a sign. When I go back, I'll definitely plan on hitching.

Hitching is fun
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

TJ,

Hitching is fun

Yep. I'm hoping to catch a 35 miler or so hitch tomorrow.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference

headed out tomorrow morning for four days in the catskills with perfect weather and lots of snow. I've been sick for weeks, so I've vowed to not walk crazy miles like an idiot and am taking a battery for every day so I can read on my phone and hang out. got snow shoes. got microspikes. gonna be carrying 24 pounds when I leave the car. that's an awful lot for me!!! will let you know how it goes...
      kick out the jams, bunny rabbit!

1azarus wrote:

headed out tomorrow morning for four days in the catskills with perfect weather and lots of snow. I've been sick for weeks, so I've vowed to not walk crazy miles like an idiot and am taking a battery for every day so I can read on my phone and hang out. got snow shoes. got microspikes. gonna be carrying 24 pounds when I leave the car. that's an awful lot for me!!! will let you know how it goes...

Have a great time. Take lots of pictures.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

1azarus wrote:

1azarus has perfect weather indeed, except that the stuff underfoot will be fast-melting slush! (Even with this warm weather, there will be some snow left. A month ago there was a five-foot snowpack, and last week there were still a couple of feet up there.)

I am soooooo envious! (But this is an impossible time for church musicians. Tenebrae service tonight. Palm Sunday. Rehearsal Tuesday. Maundy Thursday. Good Friday. Easter Vigil. Easter Sunday. God give me strength!)

Source Code

1. NYZ058-063-120600-
      2. CATSKILL MOUNTAINS-
      3. 1002 AM EDT FRI APR 11 2014
      4. ...EASTERN CATSKILLS RECREATIONAL FORECAST FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2000 FEET...
      5. .TODAY...
      6. MAX TEMPERATURE...IN THE MID 50S.
      7. MIN TEMPERATURE...IN THE MID 30S.
      8. AVERAGE DEW POINTS...IN THE LOWER 30S.
      9. MINIMUM HUMIDITY...45 TO 55 PERCENT.
      10. WIND...NORTHWEST UP TO 10 KNOTS.
      11. PRECIPITATION...RAIN SHOWERS.
      12. LIGHTNING...NONE.
      13. .SATURDAY...
      14. MAX TEMPERATURE...IN THE MID 60S.
      15. MIN TEMPERATURE...IN THE LOWER 40S.
      16. AVERAGE DEW POINTS...IN THE LOWER 30S.
      17. MINIMUM HUMIDITY...25 TO 35 PERCENT.
      18. WIND...SOUTHWEST 5 TO 10 KNOTS.
      19. PRECIPITATION...NONE.
      20. LIGHTNING...NONE.
      21. .EXTENDED...
      22. .SUNDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS. LOWS IN THE LOWER
      23. 50S. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 60S.
      24. .MONDAY...SHOWERS LIKELY. LOWS IN THE MID 40S. HIGHS IN THE UPPER
      25. 60S.
      26. $$
      Display All
      I'm not lost. I know where I am. I'm right here.