Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

State High Points

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• State High Points

Last week I have finally knocked of the High Point for the state of Rhode Island, Jerimoth Hill, 812 feet. From the trailhead it was a 0.3 mile hike with about 10 feet of elevation gain. I was exhausted :) Here are the pics...

This last picture is me touching the actual high point cairn. Mission accomplished!
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I have not been seeking out state high points in any systematic way, but so far I have picked up MA, VT, NH, NJ, TN, CA, and MI.

I hope to hear about everyone's High Point achievements and stories on this thread.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Mount Magazine highest point in Arkansas and also between the Appalachian and Rocky Mountain ranges. 2753 feet.
      Probably 2010 (wearing 2010 Friends of Scouting hat). That is my two youngest sons, and they are both 6 feet tall now. If you look close enough the youngest has an Astros jacket on.
      One of my favorite places to take the Boy Scouts camping due to that, really good education center, and beautiful views.
      Images
      • Original Canon 348.JPG

183.51 kB, 800×600, viewed 468 times
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

The post was edited 1 time, last by Astro ().

• Rhode Island highest point only 812 feet. Now we know why that sadistic trail builder Myron Avery skipped it for the AT. :D

You know Benton MacKaye wanted to go from Mt Mitchell, NC to Mt Washington, NH. But Avery I guess thought that was too easy and decided to go through Klingmans Dome to GA, and then of course the rest of NH with another nearly 300 miles of ME. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

IMScotty, going back to your original post, that looks like a military ammo box sitting in the chair. Curious what that was all about.
      It was, the trail register was in there. I was the only hiker that day. Looked like maybe 4-5 people pick up that high point on a summer week.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • odd man out wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

I have not been seeking out state high points in any systematic way, but so far I have picked up MA, VT, NH, NJ, TN, CA, and MI.

I hope to hear about everyone's High Point achievements and stories on this thread.
      I've heard the MI highpoint is not all that exciting. I've been close, but not to it.
      The Michigan High Point was done about 25 years ago. No photos. What I remember was not much of a summit, but there were some Fall color (Just yellow, it's not New England), so I enjoyed the walk.

I did enjoy the Upper Peninsula very much. Just a quick weekend trip, but I enjoyed exploring. The upper peninsula is one of the few places where you can mine elemental copper. I bought a hunk of native copper off a kid with a roadside stand that still sits on my bookshelf today.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • odd man out wrote:

wait a minute. The Black Hills top out at over 7000 ft and I'm pretty sure they are between the Rockies and the Appalachians.
      OK if the Black Hills are "not" considered part of the Rockies, it is the highest point in the U.S. Interior Highlands. The name is designated by the United States Geological Survey to refer to the combined subregions of the Ouachita Mountains and the Ozark Plateaus. The U.S. Interior Highlands is one of few mountainous regions between the Appalachians and Rockies.
    • Also found this:
      Mount Magazine is often called "the highest point between the Alleghenies and the Rockies", but there are many parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and North Dakota with higher elevations.

But it still is the highest point in Arkansas (and most of the surrounding states). I believe the confusion may come around something like elevation gain.
    • odd man out wrote:

I too have a chunk of UP copper on my computer desk. BTW, which high point did you go to? Until 1982, the highpoint of MI was Mt Curwood, but when the area was surveyed with more modern techniques, they found Mt Avon was 1 foot taller. I use the term "mountain" loosely.
      I must have been there after 1982 because it was Mount Arvon.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Astro wrote:

Rhode Island highest point only 812 feet. Now we know why that sadistic trail builder Myron Avery skipped it for the AT. :D

You know Benton MacKaye wanted to go from Mt Mitchell, NC to Mt Washington, NH. But Avery I guess thought that was too easy and decided to go through Klingmans Dome to GA, and then of course the rest of NH with another nearly 300 miles of ME. :rolleyes:
      Needless to say, I was not shocked when I learned that Myron Avery was originally from Maine. :)
    • Scotty was out in front on this one. :thumbup: Look what was in this months Backpacker magazine. Also an a article about the best peaks in each state.
      Images
      • IMG_20180726_075019401.jpg

109.76 kB, 800×450, viewed 449 times