Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Fishing

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Bo Peep wrote:

      How does weather affect the fish? For that matter, what about time of day?
      i think the fishing is better when the barometer is falling, fish are also affected by tides and the moon. I used to check some web site that predicted best fishing times for the upcoming week.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

      Bo Peep wrote:

      How does weather affect the fish? For that matter, what about time of day?
      i think the fishing is better when the barometer is falling, fish are also affected by tides and the moon. I used to check some web site that predicted best fishing times for the upcoming week.
      first fish: do we care about weather?
      second fish: nope, we don't care
      first fish: but fishermen think we do
      second fish: eggactly
    • On my way to the lake or river I'm always looking to see if the cows are eating or laying down. I look for birds too. If they're active the fishing is usually pretty good. That's when I start with a Whopper Popper. This top water lure should be mandatory for your tackle box. Cherokee and Douglas lake is a good place to throw it. It looks like your lake is a good spot for it too. Another must have lure is the Rebel crawdad. As mentioned earlier by someone. It catches all kinds of fish.
      I fished a kayak tourney a few weeks ago on Cherokee. The big bass we working up shallow to start spawning.
      I have to get a new linsence. It expired March 1st. I'll be getting the trout stamp too!

      If you want to just relax, take that bobber off, and put on a night crawler. Throw it out and let it sit. Then grab a beer. If your line drifts back to shore add more weight.

      It won't be long and I'll be turning stones for grampus. I'll find about a dozen and head up the Nolichucky gorge. Then it's on. Multiple smallies on one grampus with a few large trout and maybe a catfish or two.

      All this fishing talk is making my want to jump in the car with the kayak and head to Fontana lake............
    • Bo Peep wrote:

      How does weather affect the fish? For that matter, what about time of day?
      Over the many years of hunting and fishing I have found wildlife to be active and feeding during the solunar periods, especially the MAJOR period. This includes everything form song birds to large game -

      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      Solunar theory

      The solunar theory is a hypothesis that animals and fish move according to the location of the moon in comparison to their bodies.[1] The theory was laid out in 1926 by John Alden Knight, but was said to be used by hunters and fishermen long before the time it was published

      Link to full info HERE
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • I can believe that. The sun and moon affect many things in nature. I bet we don’t know the half of it.

      For some reason, i thought fish wouldn’t bite in the hottest part of the day or when it’s cold. My observations of fishing activity around the dam over the years doesn’t support this.

      Except, I’m pretty sure that fishermen like early morning, foggy/misty conditions (?)
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I gave up long ago trying to guess the weather/fish relationship, some of my best days a human shouldn't be out in, we were pulling bass out of a hole so fast once we just threw them on the boat floor, in about a minute you could drive a nail with them they were frozen so hard.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Bo Peep wrote:

      Here is my little fishing spot by the lake.

      It seems that fishing requires more activity than I thought. When I decided to learn to fish, my plan was to throw a line in the water and let it sit until something bites. The reality is that the hook is constantly reeled in and re-cast. Otherwise, it quickly drifts to the bank. It was actually kind of fun to do it that way.

      Do you see the bobber in one of the photos and how close it is to the bank?

      I stopped by the fishing shop which is very close to the river but was too shy to ask questions or have them look at my pole.
      You need gratuitous selfies!
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • Got to fish for a little bit this morning. Stopped and bought some small minnows...still no bites. Ugh.

      I hooked them through the tails and they died after casting several times. How did I kill them? Can’t believe I caught those wiggly suckers and stuck a hook in them. I only used a couple then gave them away.

      I used a thin, crappie hook.
      Images
      • CD77207F-4AAB-4E5E-BC66-248B0C87038D.jpeg

        319.8 kB, 800×600, viewed 185 times
      • 5D5620B0-A117-4F77-93D1-EC1E71DFC472.jpeg

        73.83 kB, 449×600, viewed 172 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Got to use my dad’s fishing pole recently. It was nice to try something different, made me realize how bad mine is.

      But I doubt it’s worth buying a new one since fishing doesn’t seem to be my forte.

      This is on the creek behind my parents house. It was hot so I didn’t stay very long. Didn’t get any bites, as usual, even though I saw several fish break the surface near me.
      Images
      • 86B93FC7-51AF-41CE-BC6B-CE4EFBE6DC3C.jpeg

        232.65 kB, 800×600, viewed 176 times
      • ED29D78B-522A-4D1C-A04E-6BD723E0DB4E.jpeg

        231.69 kB, 800×600, viewed 179 times
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      Got to fish for a little bit this morning. Stopped and bought some small minnows...still no bites. Ugh.

      I hooked them through the tails and they died after casting several times. How did I kill them? Can’t believe I caught those wiggly suckers and stuck a hook in them. I only used a couple then gave them away.

      I used a thin, crappie hook.
      Hook minnows thru the lips. Thread the hook up thru bottom jaw and out his nose. I usually use medium or large minnows. Large minnows you can also hook thru the body. Run the hook thru behind the backfin (on top) and above the backbone.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      I’m looking for a backpacking fishing rod, any suggestions? Tenkara is a popular brand but the ones I’ve seen are pricey...don’t want to spend more than $100 and that’s pushing it.

      And...not sure if I need one with a reel?

      TY!
      Tenkara does not have a reel. it is an extra long rod with a fixed line. i have contemplated getting one myself but i have 2 light rods good for back packing. The Tenkara has different kits available
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I’m looking for a backpacking fishing rod, any suggestions? Tenkara is a popular brand but the ones I’ve seen are pricey...don’t want to spend more than $100 and that’s pushing it.

      And...not sure if I need one with a reel?

      TY!
      Tenkara does not have a reel. it is an extra long rod with a fixed line. i have contemplated getting one myself but i have 2 light rods good for back packing. The Tenkara has different kits available
      I knew that Tenkara rods are minimalist but didn’t realize until this morning that Tenkara is a method of fly fishing...I thought the word was only associated with the manufacturer. Interesting.

      While I want ultralight, my skill level probably requires a reel but packability is a concern. A Tenkara style rod seems very easy to carry.

      .
      Lost in the right direction.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      I’m looking for a backpacking fishing rod, any suggestions? Tenkara is a popular brand but the ones I’ve seen are pricey...don’t want to spend more than $100 and that’s pushing it.

      And...not sure if I need one with a reel?

      TY!

      Are you old enough to remember the Ronco Pocket Fisherman sold on info-mercials in the 1970's? I googled it and it seems they still exist.
      amazon.com/Ronco-Fisherman-Por…g-Foldable/dp/B08SNMFZKJ/

    • The cheapest / simplest solution would be a drop line. That and some worms was my kit when I was a kid and it worked good enough to pull in catfish, crayfish, and the occasional snapping turtle.

      I bought a Tenkara Rod for my JMT hike. Up till then I had never had any success catching anything on a fly in my life. I killed it with my Tenkara in the Sierras and could not have been happier. Light, simple, and most importantly, it worked.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”


      John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I’m looking for a backpacking fishing rod, any suggestions? Tenkara is a popular brand but the ones I’ve seen are pricey...don’t want to spend more than $100 and that’s pushing it.

      And...not sure if I need one with a reel?

      TY!
      Tenkara does not have a reel. it is an extra long rod with a fixed line. i have contemplated getting one myself but i have 2 light rods good for back packing. The Tenkara has different kits available
      I knew that Tenkara rods are minimalist but didn’t realize until this morning that Tenkara is a method of fly fishing...I thought the word was only associated with the manufacturer. Interesting.
      While I want ultralight, my skill level probably requires a reel but packability is a concern. A Tenkara style rod seems very easy to carry.

      .
      if i didn't already own 10 fly rods, i would get the Tenkara set up.

      All that casting is hollywood......the whole Tenkara idea is perfect. Stealth, short line, decent cast....plop....catch....done.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I’m looking for a backpacking fishing rod, any suggestions? Tenkara is a popular brand but the ones I’ve seen are pricey...don’t want to spend more than $100 and that’s pushing it.

      And...not sure if I need one with a reel?

      TY!
      Tenkara does not have a reel. it is an extra long rod with a fixed line. i have contemplated getting one myself but i have 2 light rods good for back packing. The Tenkara has different kits available
      I knew that Tenkara rods are minimalist but didn’t realize until this morning that Tenkara is a method of fly fishing...I thought the word was only associated with the manufacturer. Interesting.While I want ultralight, my skill level probably requires a reel but packability is a concern. A Tenkara style rod seems very easy to carry.

      .
      if i didn't already own 10 fly rods, i would get the Tenkara set up.
      All that casting is hollywood......the whole Tenkara idea is perfect. Stealth, short line, decent cast....plop....catch....done.
      I upped my budget and bought the Tenkara Beartooth. If Coach and Scotty endorse it, I can’t go wrong! (Sure hope I can figure it out.)

      Happy early Birthday to me.

      Do I need to pack a longer knife, just in case I get real lucky and actually catch something?
      Lost in the right direction.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

    • Traffic Jam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      CoachLou wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I’m looking for a backpacking fishing rod, any suggestions? Tenkara is a popular brand but the ones I’ve seen are pricey...don’t want to spend more than $100 and that’s pushing it.

      And...not sure if I need one with a reel?

      TY!
      Tenkara does not have a reel. it is an extra long rod with a fixed line. i have contemplated getting one myself but i have 2 light rods good for back packing. The Tenkara has different kits available
      I knew that Tenkara rods are minimalist but didn’t realize until this morning that Tenkara is a method of fly fishing...I thought the word was only associated with the manufacturer. Interesting.While I want ultralight, my skill level probably requires a reel but packability is a concern. A Tenkara style rod seems very easy to carry.
      .
      if i didn't already own 10 fly rods, i would get the Tenkara set up.All that casting is hollywood......the whole Tenkara idea is perfect. Stealth, short line, decent cast....plop....catch....done.
      I upped my budget and bought the Tenkara Beartooth. If Coach endorses it, I can’t go wrong! (Sure hope I can figure it out.)
      Happy early Birthday to me.

      Do I need to pack a longer knife, just in case I get real lucky and actually catch something?
      Google Fly casting by Lefty Cray......................that is how I learned the basics of casting. And learn to Roll cast, which is a great short cast and should work good with the fixed line.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • IMScotty wrote:

      The cheapest / simplest solution would be a drop line. That and some worms was my kit when I was a kid and it worked good enough to pull in catfish, crayfish, and the occasional snapping turtle.

      I bought a Tenkara Rod for my JMT hike. Up till then I had never had any success catching anything on a fly in my life. I killed it with my Tenkara in the Sierras and could not have been happier. Light, simple, and most importantly, it worked.
      Just saw this post... Thanks! Makes me feel better about going over my budget.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • odd man out wrote:

      Traffic Jam wrote:

      I’m looking for a backpacking fishing rod, any suggestions? Tenkara is a popular brand but the ones I’ve seen are pricey...don’t want to spend more than $100 and that’s pushing it.

      And...not sure if I need one with a reel?

      TY!
      Are you old enough to remember the Ronco Pocket Fisherman sold on info-mercials in the 1970's? I googled it and it seems they still exist.
      amazon.com/Ronco-Fisherman-Por…g-Foldable/dp/B08SNMFZKJ/


      I have an original one! Granted, there is no touch or feeling in the hard plastic 'rod', but you can't beat the portability. And there's a hinged compartment to hold the lure or hook without it getting snagged on anything.
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Winding Stair Gap NC, Max Patch to Franconia Notch NH and the Gale River Trail to Pinkham Notch NH.
    • Do not put a fly on. Just put a 6' leader on. You are not casting the fly, you are casting the line. The fly follows a good cast. When you follow thru stop the rod at 10 o'clock, and let the line unfurl.


      Did you find that video yet.......Lefty Cray.........he really makes sense of the cast so you can figure it out.
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • CoachLou wrote:

      Do not put a fly on. Just put a 6' leader on. You are not casting the fly, you are casting the line. The fly follows a good cast. When you follow thru stop the rod at 10 o'clock, and let the line unfurl.


      Did you find that video yet.......Lefty Cray.........he really makes sense of the cast so you can figure it out.
      Thanks for the advice! I probably would have used the fly... your way is safer.

      I have watched some of his videos but not the one you posted. Thanks!
      Lost in the right direction.