Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

And In Other News

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• There was a line at my polling place, but our Town Clerk is good at her job and the line moved quickly and efficiently.

The polls just closed so I am heading to Town Hall for my job as an election 'tallyer.' Basically we deal with all the ballots that get rejected by the machine and some overseas votes. Mostly the ballots get kicked out for write in votes. Last year there were a lot of write in votes for Tom Brady (in any position), but I expect that number will drop off locally this year. Write ins for real people do get counted and tabulated. I suspect some people vote for themselves, because every election there are at least a dozen people who get a single vote. Write ins for fictional characters (Mickey Mouse) get recorded as a 'blank' vote.

Given the volume, I expect this will be a very long night.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Kanye West has conceded.

4 years ago I thought both major candidates were spectacularly unqualified for the Presidency, so I wasted my vote elsewhere.

Apparently the 57,000 people who voted for West (on the ballot in 12 states) felt similarly this year.

Speaking of 3rd party candidates this year only the Libertarians were on the ballot in Georgia. There's usually several.
      2,000 miler
    • I'll admit to spending about 10 minutes watching the returns for the local results last night between streaming a couple episodes of an old sitcom.

It was funny to see a local tax option taking an early lead with 90,000 voting for and 30,000 voting against -- with zero precincts reporting.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Kanye West has conceded.

4 years ago I thought both major candidates were spectacularly unqualified for the Presidency, so I wasted my vote elsewhere.

Apparently the 57,000 people who voted for West (on the ballot in 12 states) felt similarly this year.

Speaking of 3rd party candidates this year only the Libertarians were on the ballot in Georgia. There's usually several.
      I felt the same in 2016 as you did. I held a top-secret DOD clearance from 1982 thru 1985. And it was "used". Some of the BS that Hillary was saying, told me she'd never paid any attention to any "How-to" security meetings. I had to take an 8 hour class to even apply for the clearance. Then had to sit thru a monthly meeting to "refresh" and learn the latest issues. And the RNC allowing.......

I also voted third party in 2016 and don't consider it "wasted" at all. I've voted third party on several occasions. The DNC and the RNC both failed me in 2016 and honestly again this year.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • IMScotty wrote:

I visit WB infrequently, so I miss out on some of the news over there. Just found out that frequent WB poster 'Rain Man' (Raymond Myers) passed away in August. Took my by surprise, he seemed so strong as a hiker and in personality. RIP 'Rain Man'. Here is a copy & paste of a FB post from his family...
      Years ago Rain Man sent me the first "friend request" I ever received on social media. I turned him down as the whole concept of declaring to the world that somebody that you've never met is your friend just seemed weird to me. (remember, I said this was years ago). Anyway, I explained myself and he understood. We never did meet which is a shame.
      2,000 miler
    • It's a momentous day! gif.014.gif

Back in mid August, after sitting around quarantined in a house full of food for five months, I was feeling very bloated and the scale confirmed with a weight somewhat higher that it had ever been. So I announced to my family that I was going to loose weight. Since the I've eaten three meals a day but little else (all day snacking was my downfall). I've cut portion sizes and go for a walk every day weather allows. After three months of steady progress, today for the first time in a long time the first number on the scale was a 1 and not a 2. That's down 15 lbs from my high. I want to keep going to loose another 10 lbs.
    • max.patch wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Trump is already setting the stage to declare the election invalid.

And anybody who doesn't see that isn't paying attention.
      My post of August 6...
      DJT needs to STFU.
      And since you still appear to be incapable of understanding why, you should go back to my response at that time of that post. :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • odd man out wrote:

This kind of thing used to be celebrated. There is an extinct geyser cone near the shore of Yellowstone Lake called Fishing Cone because people would fish from the cone and cook their fish still on the hook by hanging into the hot spring.

yellowstone-notebook.com/fishpot.html
      I took a trip to the Azores. There is a town on Sao Miguel called 'Fumas' where the local specialty is something like a meat stew cooked in one of their Caldeiras. The first bite was intriguing, the food was good with an interesting sulfur flavor. By the tenth bite the sulfur was coming out of my pores. 'Não mais!' After a while, I just helped my wife finish the rest of her salad.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • odd man out wrote:

It's a momentous day! gif.014.gif

Back in mid August, after sitting around quarantined in a house full of food for five months, I was feeling very bloated and the scale confirmed with a weight somewhat higher that it had ever been. So I announced to my family that I was going to loose weight. Since the I've eaten three meals a day but little else (all day snacking was my downfall). I've cut portion sizes and go for a walk every day weather allows. After three months of steady progress, today for the first time in a long time the first number on the scale was a 1 and not a 2. That's down 15 lbs from my high. I want to keep going to loose another 10 lbs.
      Well done OMO. A few months ago I had a physical. The first one in many years. I would not have done it on my own, but it was required for something I was applying for. The blood chemistry numbers were not good. I've been trying to eat healthier since then, I have lost a dozen pounds. The blood chemistry came back marginally better. I am unwilling to give up my love for the craft beers. I seem to have plateaued out in the weight loss department, but I am trying to at least not gain back what I have lost.

Anyway, good for you. Keep it up OMO.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

... I am unwilling to give up my love for the craft beers....
      A number of years ago, our school hosted a visit by one of the world's expert on brewing science (can't remember his name unfortunately). But he had quite a large beer belly, and in his lecture he claimed that beer is quite healthy (assuming you don't drink to excess). What makes you fat are the things you eat while drinking beer. So he slapped his belly and said "This is not a beer belly. It's a pizza, bratwurst, and nacho belly".

I have been a beer snob for decades. I was an avid home brewer back in the early 80's, before craft beer was trendy. But my rule is I never have more than one. It's about quality over quantity. No reason to feel guilty about that.
    • IMScotty wrote:

I took a trip to the Azores. There is a town on Sao Miguel called 'Fumas' where the local specialty is something like a meat stew cooked in one of their Caldeiras. The first bite was intriguing, the food was good with an interesting sulfur flavor. By the tenth bite the sulfur was coming out of my pores. 'Não mais!' After a while, I just helped my wife finish the rest of her salad.
      In Japan we visited a hot spring resort spa and the local specialty was hard boiled eggs cooked over sulfur steam vents. I was not a fan.
    • odd man out wrote:

Perhaps you recall that I have few hobbies beyond hiking and trivia contests, so this one his home extra hard.

Alex Trebek dies at age 80
      I used to love watching Jeopardy, and always thought he did a geat job. I know he was sick a the end, but 80 years is still a good long life.

Raising four children we disconnected the cable so everyone would read more and never got back in the swing of watching it again since we added DirectTV a year or so ago.
    • I'm not sure. I have followed discussions on Trebek's replacement over the past year. Ken certainly is mentioned often. But I think Trebek's ability to keep the focus on the players and make them comfortable was a strength. I fear that a top player like Ken or a well known celebrity would detract attention from the players or have an intimidating effect. Some have suggested people from the news media. I could see that working. How about Anderson Cooper?
    • Good points.

Right after I wrote my post I checked my FB feed and saw that George Stephanopoulos is quietly lobbying for the job. I hope that doesn't happen.

I can see Anderson Cooper -- but CNN pays him $12 million a year plus he gets to moonlight for 60 Minutes which I understand he enjoys. He could do marathon tapings of the show a few days a month and squeeze it in his schedule -- but how much does he really want to work? Can't answer that.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Good points.

Right after I wrote my post I checked my FB feed and saw that George Stephanopoulos is quietly lobbying for the job. I hope that doesn't happen.

I can see Anderson Cooper -- but CNN pays him $12 million a year plus he gets to moonlight for 60 Minutes which I understand he enjoys. He could do marathon tapings of the show a few days a month and squeeze it in his schedule -- but how much does he really want to work? Can't answer that.
      Either one of those two would probably drive the ratings down through the floor.
    • rhjanes wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Kanye West has conceded.

I felt the same in 2016 as you did. I held a top-secret DOD clearance from 1982 thru 1985. And it was "used". Some of the BS that Hillary was saying, told me she'd never paid any attention to any "How-to" security meetings. I had to take an 8 hour class to even apply for the clearance. Then had to sit thru a monthly meeting to "refresh" and learn the latest issues. And the RNC allowing.......
      I also voted third party in 2016 and don't consider it "wasted" at all. I've voted third party on several occasions. The DNC and the RNC both failed me in 2016 and honestly again this year.
      I'm a little late to the party, but I keep singing a verse from one of my favorite artists - Paul Thorn.

"Republicans and Democrats are breaking my heart. I can't tell them sons of bitches apart."
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard
    • max.patch wrote:

The NYT raises an interesting question:

A president is trying to undo an election result: How would you describe that situation in another country?
      Yet half the rest of the country is asking when did we became a 3rd world country where with all the voting irregularites has allowed the media to percieve that an illegitimate candidate should be declared the winner. Never had any doubt who would win the electoral college, just unfortunately fulfilling concern over not winning by enough after all the illegal votes and manipulations. :(
    • That was debunked as false almost immediately.

That lie was started by someone who tweeted that more people voted in Wisconsin that were registered voters.

He compared the number of registered voters in the 2018 midterms to the number who voted in 2020.

The number of registered voters in Wisconsin as of November 1, 2020 was greater than the number of people who voted. And that number does not include anyone who registered to vote on election day which Wisconsin allows. (If anyone wants to argue that should be changed I'll agree with you. But that's the rules of the game as written right now.)

If anyone is interested in the truth Google will set you free.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

That was debunked as false almost immediately.

That lie was started by someone who tweeted that more people voted in Wisconsin that were registered voters.

He compared the number of registered voters in the 2018 midterms to the number who voted in 2020.

The number of registered voters in Wisconsin as of November 1, 2020 was greater than the number of people who voted. And that number does not include anyone who registered to vote on election day which Wisconsin allows. (If anyone wants to argue that should be changed I'll agree with you. But that's the rules of the game as written right now.)

If anyone is interested in the truth Google will set you free.
      oh, sorry, I hadn't seen those details. Just goes to show how important the little things on life are.
    • Hello Max and Astro,

I am here to tap this discussion down, as interesting as it may be. Maybe you will allow me to add a sentiment that I hope everybody agrees on before we move back to hiking...

Everyone's vote should count. Integrity in our elections is of paramount importance. I started volunteering as a 'tallyer' in my town because I wanted to be part of the process. I have complete confidence in the integrity of the vote in my town, the Town Clerk runs a tight ship, and the other volunteers have their political preferences, but the most important thing to everyone I see involved is that every vote is legitimately counted.

I also know enough about the human condition to know that that may not be the same everywhere. I hope that every claim of voter fraud is investigated, and either corrected or dismissed depending on the facts. At this distance I confess I cannot know the facts, but I am all for any complaints working their way through the court system. I hope that any incidence of voter fraud be prosecuted in the fullest. I am all for recounts in close elections and complete transparency. The integrity of our elections, and trust of the people in the system is even more important than who is president for the next four years.

I hope that we can all at least agree to this, and give this conversation a rest for a bit as this plays out in the courts.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • And in other news, I have an actual hike planned for this weekend.

Well, really just a short walk with some High School friends. I only have two friend from high school that I see with any regularity. We get together 3-4 times a year for a walk in the woods and to catch up in our lives.

There is another classmate of ours that I connect to on FB. I was never really friends with him in HS, but I saw from his posts that he has had a bad time lately. He is a very talented photographer and an avid hiker too. He seemed happy that I reached out to him to invite him on a hike. I am hoping a walk in the woods with some old classmates will do him some good.

John Greenleaf Whittier