Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Alcohol Stoves

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• jimmyjam wrote:

odd man out wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Congratulations OMO!

Thanks. First kid to marry is the youngest. Makes you feel old.

Mine is getting married next summer. Hopefully .

Congratulations OMO!

Funny, JJ :) . I've always had the opposite attitude with my daughters. I must be doing something right, the 25 yr old just started dating and the 18 yr old has never been on a date.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • I decided to pack up and do a little hiking and camping yesterday. I took the BirdBrain stove and threw in my new, piezo igniter without testing it first...a major rule violation. This morning, I had everything ready to boil water but the stupid igniter wouldn't work. I pushed the button a dozen times and it just wouldn't produce a flame like my grill lighter does. Cursing the defective POS, I resigned myself to not having hot coffee. After sitting there for a few minutes, some brain cells started firing and I realized there wouldn't be a flame because that little igniter was surely too small to hold any fuel. I took a guess and sort of touched the fuel in my stove with the igniter and voila...it worked. It worked so well, I drank extra coffee just so I could boil more water :D .
      Images
      • image.jpg

983.01 kB, 2,158×1,536, viewed 311 times

The post was edited 2 times, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

I decided to pack up and do a little hiking and camping yesterday. I took the BirdBrain stove and threw in my new, piezo igniter without testing it first...a major rule violation. This morning, I had everything ready to boil water but the stupid igniter wouldn't work. I pushed the button a dozen times and it just wouldn't produce a flame like my grill lighter does. Cursing the defective POS, I resigned myself to not having hot coffee. After sitting there for a few minutes, some brain cells started firing and I realized there wouldn't be a flame because that little igniter was surely too small to hold any fuel. I took a guess and sort of touched the fuel in my stove with the igniter and voila...it worked. It worked so well, I drank extra coffee just so I could boil more water :D .

We have all done something similar. I gave myself a propane haircut about 7 years ago with a 126,000 btu broiler. For those not familiar with home much power 126,000 btu is your average burner on a residential propane range is around 10,000 btu. The broiler was brand new and I did not see the embossed arrow pointing to the off position so I turned the gas line on while the unit was in the on position. I pulled my lighter out of my pocket and reached into the enclosed space of the broiler and went to light the first pilot light. The flames removed my eye lashes and eye brows and gave me a friar Tuck haircut.

Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Grinder wrote:

**Snicker**

That one is still being told by the firefighters and/or medics who responded (presuming such were called), I can promise you.

It's a commercial kitchen. We don't call the fire department unless the ANSUL system goes off. I went for a quick crew cut and applied burn jell to my forehead.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • AnotherKevin wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I have had a few nice fires over the last 25 years. Most got put out by burying them in salt. Only used a CO2 extinguisher once so far.

Baking soda works even better than salt, particularly if you've got grease going. It's essentially a CO2 extinguisher; heat decomposes NaHCO3 into NaOH and CO2.

Kitchens maybe have a pound off baking soda in inventory as we don't use it much. We will have boxes off kosher salt within reach because it's being used all day long. It's mostly just smothering.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • I need a pot support. I've looked through the thread but there's so much, it's hard to find stuff. If anyone has made one that will fit the BirdBrain stove and K Mart grease pot, can you repost it? I need step by step instructions and it would be nice if it didn't require power tools :D .
    • BirdBrain wrote:

They each weigh about 10 grams. The middle one blinks back and forth between 9 and 10. It has thinner wire ferrules. It keeps stove centered. Not sure I need shield if stove is on wires. It does not have excessive thermal feedback.

Go to the profile of the user you thought posted the item your looking for. It list all their attachments. It's one of the coolest features of the software.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

The stove guys here all have great ideas on their attachments.

I'm sure they do.

Being serious...where do I find the attachments? I tried Stovie's profile and don't see anything...nothing on BirdBrain's either.

Thank you. I see mine but can't see Stovie's and BB's. Is that due to something in their privacy settings?

ETA: I have viewed everyone's profile on the first page of the member's list and no on has the attachment tab.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I'm sure they do.

Being serious...where do I find the attachments? I tried Stovie's profile and don't see anything...nothing on BirdBrain's either.

Thank you. I see mine but can't see Stovie's and BB's. Is that due to something in their privacy settings?

ETA: I have viewed everyone's profile on the first page of the member's list and no on has the attachment tab.

I'll install the user version tonight. I can't upload the plugin from my phone. The native version only allows mods to see the attachments.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I'm sure they do.

I'll install the user version tonight. I can't upload the plugin from my phone. The native version only allows mods to see the attachments.

No problem and no hurry. I thought it was just me being stupid ^^ .
    • Hi all! This is a great forum. I've enjoyed reading through it lurkily and thought I'd jump in with a couple of questions.

I've been working on burners with an interest in fast boil times (I know this strategy isn't how everyone wants to boil their cup of tea). I've been digging around and can't seem to be sure if there's any consensus on the fastest boiling design. Is the CHS the fastest boiler so far? That's the one I've had the most success with in this regard.

My burners have been running at pretty high pressure and I'm definitely getting some thermal runaway, which is resulting in incomplete combustion (orange flames). This has led me to explore the idea of increasing oxygen in the stream, possibly with a venturi jet design. I've looked around but haven't found much on this. Does anyone know if there are some designs floating around that have tried venturi before?

Thanks for your discussion everyone!
    • stovemonkey wrote:

Hi all! This is a great forum. I've enjoyed reading through it lurkily and thought I'd jump in with a couple of questions.

I've been working on burners with an interest in fast boil times (I know this strategy isn't how everyone wants to boil their cup of tea). I've been digging around and can't seem to be sure if there's any consensus on the fastest boiling design. Is the CHS the fastest boiler so far? That's the one I've had the most success with in this regard.

My burners have been running at pretty high pressure and I'm definitely getting some thermal runaway, which is resulting in incomplete combustion (orange flames). This has led me to explore the idea of increasing oxygen in the stream, possibly with a venturi jet design. I've looked around but haven't found much on this. Does anyone know if there are some designs floating around that have tried venturi before?

Hi stovemonkey. I can't answer your question, but welcome to the cafe :) .
    • TrafficJam wrote:

stovemonkey wrote:

Hi all! This is a great forum. I've enjoyed reading through it lurkily and thought I'd jump in with a couple of questions.

I'm not sure if short, lame replies like "Thanks!" are forum acceptable or not, but "Thanks!"
    • TJ...I've done a lot of playing around with stoves and after trying a lot of different stoves I've come to the conclusion you can't beat the simple cat stove, don't need a stand with it. In industry the best you can improve on any operation is to eliminate the need for that operation, same with cooking on the trail, less weight to carry and less hassle. I tried to upload some photos but God didn't grace me with enough patients to figure out how...URL????
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • stovemonkey wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

stovemonkey wrote:

I'm not sure if short, lame replies like "Thanks!" are forum acceptable or not, but "Thanks!"

I like simple...BTW, who gave you my photo to use as an avatar?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • stovemonkey wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

stovemonkey wrote:

If there's some sort of protocol here, no one bothered to tell me. "Thanks" is perfect!
    • stovemonkey wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

stovemonkey wrote:

OK
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Rasty wrote:

I'm sure they do.

How to search a users public attachments from within their user profile

Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • stovemonkey wrote:

The fastest boiling stove is not the best stove (imo). But if you want speed, the fastest boiling alcohol stove I have seen is the FREVO Stove by JSB. The trouble with fast stoves is that that are not very efficient. This is true with the FREVO and SuperCat stoves. I find it is best to balance efficiency, weight, and speed. After building about 100 variations of stoves, I am of the opinion it is hard to beat TETKoba's eCHS. I see no need to have speed be the determining factor in stove choice. When you have walked for 10 hours, what is another 2 minutes to boil water? I would rather boil a little slower and save 5 to 15 grams per boil. Those grams add up fast and offset any weight savings in stove choice. A eCHS and pot stand weigh around 20 grams total. After 2 boils, it becomes the lighter choice. And I have not even mentioned the savings in money spent via improved efficiency....
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Good question Stove Monkey. A venturi typically uses fast low pressure air to mix in fuel. One of my fastest burners uses pressurized fuel jets to mix in air. The jets are nearly vertical, in a circle a little over one inch in diameter. A slightly larger diameter opening in an inverted can directs fresh air to the sides of the jets. The fuel jets drag the air along. There seems to be good mixing and very hot flames that leave a white ring on the bottom of my Halulite Minimalist pot. It worked very well in negative 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I have not tested it much lately.

Windscreen / cone / flame spreader / pot support play a big part in speed and efficiency.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does