Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Urinating in Water Sources

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I honestly do not care if urine is sterile or not. During WW2 (Before my time) my dad was about 7 years old and tells stories from Leeds, England where people would pee on their own feet to kill athlete's foot fungus, because it worked. Today I use surgical Iodine, much better than creams.
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:
    • ScareBear wrote:

Some MLB players(and many more minor players) pee on their hands to toughen them up and pee on their feet in the showers for the same reason...
      Mosies Aloud was famous for this which supposedly was the origin of fist bump instead of the traditional high five.

Now hikers are doing the fist bump to avoid norovirus.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

Some MLB players(and many more minor players) pee on their hands to toughen them up and pee on their feet in the showers for the same reason...
      Mosies Aloud was famous for this which supposedly was the origin of fist bump instead of the traditional high five.
      Now hikers are doing the fist bump to avoid norovirus.
      "Snaild it" :thumbup:
      My daughters friend taught me this one.
      Where by someone goes to give you a
      "Fist bump" and you effectively make a horizontal "peace sign" and let that peace sign go undernieth the fist and imedeatly up on the backside to form a "Snail"

Fun fact #231

The post was edited 3 times, last by Socks ().

• montana mac wrote:

Quickest way to cure a jellyfish sting is to urinate on it
      that's an urban legend (possibly started when r. kelly was walking on the beach and came upon a 13 year old girl who had just been stung :) ) and popularized on a episode of "friends". i'd suggest anyone going to the beach google first aid for jellyfish stings before leaving home. first thing ya need is salt water -- which should be easy enough to find.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

that's an urban legend (possibly started when r. kelly was walking on the beach and came upon a 13 year old girl who had just been stung :) ) and popularized on a episode of "friends". i'd suggest anyone going to the beach google first aid for jellyfish stings before leaving home. first thing ya need is salt water -- which should be easy enough to find.
      Vinegar.
    • ScareBear wrote:

max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

Vinegar.
      yeah. if ya carry vinegar on the beach. i don't.
      2,000 miler
    • ScareBear wrote:

max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

Vinegar.
      Whisky
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

Yes, but what a great excuse if ya get caught peeing on the trail.
    • uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

That you got stung by a jellyfish on the trail? :rolleyes:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

Vinegar.
      All Lifeguard shacks have it. Most beach bars in Jamaica have a spray bottle of it handy behind the bar. Just ask around....

The alternative is heat. Lot's of heat. Prolonged heat.
    • Astro wrote:

uncle meat wrote:

max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

That you got stung by a jellyfish on the trail? :rolleyes:
      freshwater jellyfish

:D It could happen, nature always finds a way.
    • ScareBear wrote:

max.patch wrote:

ScareBear wrote:

max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

Vinegar.
      All Lifeguard shacks have it. Most beach bars in Jamaica have a spray bottle of it handy behind the bar. Just ask around....
      The alternative is heat. Lot's of heat. Prolonged heat.
      Sounds like a good buessiness opertunity for avid hikers who use a pee bottle :D

"Mountain Dew, tapped directly from the source"
    • max.patch wrote:

montana mac wrote:

Thanks for the clarification - here is more

Back in 1997 all the friends from that eponymous television show trekked to the beach, only to witness a jellyfish sting Monica. In this episode, Joey remembered seeing a documentary that advised urinating on the sting to ease the pain. Monica agreed to try the treatment and it worked. Unfortunately, in the real world treating a jellyfish sting by urinating on it may actually cause someone in Monica's situation even more pain, rather than relief. Urine can actually aggravate the jellyfish's stingers into releasing more venom. This cure is, indeed, fiction.
      Jellyfish, those bulbous Medusa-like creatures, float near many of the world's beaches. Some of the jellyfish's skin cells are stinging cells, or cnidocytes. These specialized cells have organelles called nematocysts that contain venom. Cnidocytes are spread along the entire length of the jellyfish's tentacles.
      These tentacles can be so long that swimmers might not see the jellyfish that stings them, but they will certainly feel it. "The pain is instant," says Joseph Burnett, a dermatologist at the University of Maryland Medical Center, who is part of the school's Consortium of Jellyfish Stings, which tracks jellyfish injuries worldwide. Once stung, angry, red, whiplike lash marks mar the skin. The pain radiates from the sting site and starts to itch, burn and throb as it blisters. Scratching it, though, can make the pain worse, because rubbing activates the nematocysts, which release more venom.
      Jellyfish stings are painful, but they are rarely life-threatening. For most such injuries, in North America at least, the pain will not last longer than 24 hours, typically peaking five minutes after the sting occurs then dissipating over the next few hours. "[But] it depends on what jellyfish gets you," notes Christopher Holstege, a toxicologist and professor of emergency medicine at the University of Virginia.
      Those 24 hours, though, could be uncomfortable without any treatment, which can be administered on the beach. Both Burnett and Holstege recommend washing the area with saltwater. Such rinsing will deactivate those pesky nematocysts that are still hanging on.
      A freshwater rinse will have the opposite effect. Any change to the balance of solutes, such as the concentration of salts inside and outside of the cnidocyte, sets off stinging. Adding freshwater to the sting site dilutes the salts outside the cell, unbalancing the solutes. In reaction to this change, the nematocysts in the cells release more venom--and cause more pain.
      But what about urine? It contains salts and electrolytes. "I can think of many other things I'd rather have on me," Holstege notes. The concentration of salts and other compounds people have in their urine changes, he explains. If it is too dilute it will be similar to freshwater and cause those stingers to fire.
      Other liquids and compounds, however, can help. Most stings in North American waters can be assuaged by vinegar, or 5 percent acetic acid. For stings from a few species, Cyanea capillata and Chysaora quinquecirrha, a baking soda and seawater paste is even better.
      Once rinsing deactivates all the nasty nematocysts, the attached bits of tentacle can be removed by coating them with shaving cream or a slurry of seawater and sand followed by shaving with a razor or even a credit card.
      For pain, an oral analgesic should do the trick for North American jellyfish stings. Australia, though, has nastier jellyfish (such as the deadly Box Jellyfish) and most Australian lifeguard teams are equipped with morphine and antivenoms to treat unlucky swimmers Down Under.
      Ultimately, time, not urine, is the best treatment for a jellyfish sting. "Urine is worthless," Burnett says.
      The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.
    • the hotel we were staying at has a beachfront bar; when the jellyfish are active they told us they help at least one person every day. when my wife got stung they heated up ocean water and used that. it was a continuous process; they would heat a pail of ocean water for her use and then immediately start heating another pail. they did this several times.
      2,000 miler