Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Proposed Southern AT Registration

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mountain-Mike wrote:

Maybe they can set up a "joint use permit" similar to what PCT is now doing. It covers all national parks & wilderness areas where permits are required. Limit numbers on start dates. Or ATC coud recognize the BMT as an alternative for start. I don't see shelters as much of an issue anymore since they fill up so quick. Eliminating a dozen or so won't do a lot. Three years ago hiker called in that he counted 43 tents at Hawk Mt in early April. As much I I hate paying twice for something that belongs to taxpayes set up a thru hike permit. $5 shouldn't bust a budget for a thru if the money is spent to help the trail.
      If the permit is only required for thruhikers, I can see some hikers claiming to only be sectioning. However, 2 things: $5 doesn't seem like it should be an impediment for all but maybe 1% of potential thru's and like ELF suggested, if they require registration before issuing a 2000 miler certificate, that will also eliminate serious intenders from balking.
    • Once a government entity imposes a fee for any service or permit for usage, there's little to hinder future fee increases or misappropriating the funds for use other than for the original intent.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • Dan76 wrote:

Once a government entity imposes a fee for any service or permit for usage, there's little to hinder future fee increases or misappropriating the funds for use other than for the original intent.

Alabama got a law on the books by voting last year. Money spent at the self sustaining state parks was being grabbed to bolster the state budget. Passed 80% for. But it included the right to add things like hotels and golf courses. I think it would be a bit difficult to add a golf course to Cheaha. Unless they
      included a zip line to go around the course.

Oops forgot. The law was to block grabbing the money from the parks and spending it elsewhere.
      --
      "What do you mean its sunrise already ?!", me.
    • Okay, I've thought this through again and here's what we should do about overcrowding on the southern AT.

The Achilles heel of the AT Hall Pass registration idea is the manpower necessary to check the hall passes on the Trail.

On behalf of the ATC I've contacted the Bigfoots who live along Georgia Highway 515 (link below). They're willing to man the registration tables for the southern AT as long as no one makes comments about their body hair. No snide remarks about laser treatments or Epiladys. Certainly no talk of Brazilians or lightning bolts.

The success of the AT Hall Pass idea depends upon our continued kindness toward the Bigfoots. Everyone should be on their best behavior when hiking on the AT this Spring. No shaving cream while the Bigfoots are napping and no pennying the Bigfoots into the privy like last time.

Also, please keep this on the QT -- we don't want another Jurk media fanfare incident again.

Just for background information, here's an article about the Bigfoots along Georgia Highway 515 -- note some Bigfoots live in caves so they're probably not as serious as you might expect:

usatoday.com/story/travel/dest…ch-organization/17834725/

Datto
    • JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Once a government entity imposes a fee for any service or permit for usage, there's little to hinder future fee increases or misappropriating the funds for use other than for the original intent.
      Alabama got a law on the books by voting last year. Money spent at the self sustaining state parks was being grabbed to bolster the state budget. Passed 80% for. But it included the right to add things like hotels and golf courses. I think it would be a bit difficult to add a golf course to Cheaha. Unless they
      included a zip line to go around the course.

Oops forgot. The law was to block grabbing the money from the parks and spending it elsewhere.
      I have worked in the golf industry most of my life. There are very few places that cannot be made into a golf course. The good news is that golf is a dying industry in America. The number of golf courses is decreasing each year. The industry knows it a done in the next 40 years because those under 30 have essentially no interest in golf. The number of courses will probably shrink by about 75%.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Alabama got a law on the books by voting last year. Money spent at the self sustaining state parks was being grabbed to bolster the state budget. Passed 80% for. But it included the right to add things like hotels and golf courses. I think it would be a bit difficult to add a golf course to Cheaha. Unless theyincluded a zip line to go around the course.

I have worked in the golf industry most of my life. There are very few places that cannot be made into a golf course. The good news is that golf is a dying industry in America. The number of golf courses is decreasing each year. The industry knows it a done in the next 40 years because those under 30 have essentially no interest in golf. The number of courses will probably shrink by about 75%.
      And most likely the majority of the dying courses will undergo a housing development transformation. Hopefully many will evolve into urban parks.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • JimBlue wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

I don't know of any flat areas in Cheaha. State Park as it is the peak area of the mountain around the summit.
      A bulldozer, backhoe and explosives can change that in a few week.
      Then Mt Cheaha will no longer be the highest location in Alabama.

Maybe we can relocate something... nah.
      In the fall of 1995 the "highest" location in AL was Blakeley State Park - Squirrel's Nest campsite. That was one helluva night!
    • Dan76 wrote:

Rasty wrote:

JimBlue wrote:

Dan76 wrote:

Alabama got a law on the books by voting last year. Money spent at the self sustaining state parks was being grabbed to bolster the state budget. Passed 80% for. But it included the right to add things like hotels and golf courses. I think it would be a bit difficult to add a golf course to Cheaha. Unless theyincluded a zip line to go around the course.
      And most likely the majority of the dying courses will undergo a housing development transformation. Hopefully many will evolve into urban parks.
      That is happening around GR.

Just this month a defunct golf course was sold to an adjacent Nature Center.
      mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/in…golf_club_sold_to_bl.html\

Back in 2010 the Ottawa County Park System acquired the defunct Holland Country Club. It is now been developed as a county park with hiking and biking trails. Some of the golf course area has been developed as a Frisbee golf course.
      miottawa.org/Parks/pawpaw.htm

But some become housing developments, such as the Rolling Hills golf course where I go my first eagle.
      rdicompanies.com/Rolling-Hills.html