Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Pinned Introduce Yourself

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Introduce Yourself

Hikermom wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

hi i'm Hikerdad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDuy9gH5JFg

LOL

I do hope you two remain friendly.
      Looking forward to seeing you both again.
      Maybe GA-ME 2016..... ;)

Yeah OZ... it's not easy for me LOL. Gotta have a lil help on this one! :ohmy: I'm tryin!! I wanta keep pushing back! No can doo doo!!

Really OZ... 2016?? Awesome! Only if you promise to bring that sweet wife on yours next time! ;)

BB... no, you shouldn't be surprised at all! :P I'm not... DC Talk!! :) BB.... Do you remember Tharwood from WB? He posted on the introduction thread mentioning you. Tharwood was how we became friends!! You started "talkin" to me and I thought to myself... hum...... WHO is this super nice person?? The rest is history...

. Now - you are tight with this bunch! That still remains a mystery... LOL... JUST KIDDING!! :silly:

im trying to understand the " i wanna keep pushing back "part.
      why do you feel the need to push back when sometimes its better to just walk away?

Well, are you talking along the lines of "turning the other check"? I'm not good at that. How good are you with that, yourself?
      I will talk to you about responses but I won't mention offenses. I don't want to go there. :)

Also, you teach people how to treat you. If you walk away, the offending person learns that they can "get away" with the type of behavior towards you. You have to let a person know that you aren't cool with their behavior but do it in LOVE. I'm not good at that part... the LOVE goes out the window . I respond out of anger and hatred. I'm in control somewhat of what that looks like but I act on my feelings, at the time. Sometimes, it's not pretty.

Welcome to being human! Everyone has "buttons" that will cause bad behavior. There's a thing called passive aggression too. You don't "act out" on your feelings but you become unwilling to interact with that person at all. Any unresolved feelings/issues are a problem in relationships. You can shut a person out and refuse to respond to them. That's not good either...passive aggression. I'm not passive :P I'm very aggressive. :woohoo: :(
      there is resolution in forgiveness. in forgiving, we are forgiven.
      its all good
    • Introduce Yourself

Hikermom wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

hi i'm Hikerdad

LOL

Maybe GA-ME 2016..... ;)

Yeah OZ... it's not easy for me LOL. Gotta have a lil help on this one! :ohmy: I'm tryin!! I wanta keep pushing back! No can doo doo!!

Really OZ... 2016?? Awesome! Only if you promise to bring that sweet wife on yours next time! ;)

BB... no, you shouldn't be surprised at all! :P I'm not... DC Talk!! :) BB.... Do you remember Tharwood from WB? He posted on the introduction thread mentioning you. Tharwood was how we became friends!! You started "talkin" to me and I thought to myself... hum...... WHO is this super nice person?? The rest is history...

. Now - you are tight with this bunch! That still remains a mystery... LOL... JUST KIDDING!! :silly:

Yes. I remember R&R. It took me a while to grasp SL aka LW. I am not saying I fully understand him now. Not sure I fully understand me. I have come to the conclusion that he is a warm lovable fuzz ball. It is hard to see under the beard, but it is there. He just has strong opinions. So do I. Now I await the NY hello.

I have understanding BB. I'm leaving that right there. You can't control anyone else but yourself. I'm working hard on that. :) I'll admit I need help with that part. ;)

So do we all. It is easy to react in the wrong way. I have shown that I am good at that too. I am taking my Dr Phil hat off now. Back to the silliness now. Serious posts make my head hurt.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.
    • Introduce Yourself

hikerboy wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

hi i'm Hikerdad

LOL

Maybe GA-ME 2016..... ;)

why do you feel the need to push back when sometimes its better to just walk away?

Well, are you talking along the lines of "turning the other check"? I'm not good at that. How good are you with that, yourself?
      I will talk to you about responses but I won't mention offenses. I don't want to go there. :)

Also, you teach people how to treat you. If you walk away, the offending person learns that they can "get away" with the type of behavior towards you. You have to let a person know that you aren't cool with their behavior but do it in LOVE. I'm not good at that part... the LOVE goes out the window . I respond out of anger and hatred. I'm in control somewhat of what that looks like but I act on my feelings, at the time. Sometimes, it's not pretty.

Welcome to being human! Everyone has "buttons" that will cause bad behavior. There's a thing called passive aggression too. You don't "act out" on your feelings but you become unwilling to interact with that person at all. Any unresolved feelings/issues are a problem in relationships. You can shut a person out and refuse to respond to them. That's not good either...passive aggression. I'm not passive :P I'm very aggressive. :woohoo: :(

I agree and will start by forgiving you for stealing so much of my time by being a part of creating this site. gif.014 gif.014 gif.014 gif.014
    • Introduce Yourself

hikerboy wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

hi i'm Hikerdad

LOL

Maybe GA-ME 2016..... ;)

Yes, Indeed!! :) Now back to the topic at hand. I'm hikermom without a proper avatar. I'm going to out on a limb here and ask that one of the "peoples" in charge" to suggest one for me OR surprise me with one.. I don't mind either way is fine with me.
      :kiss: This emoticon is my new fav. :cheer:
    • Re:Re: Introduce Yourself

Hikermom wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

hi i'm Hikerdad

LOL

Maybe GA-ME 2016..... ;)

Yes, Indeed!! :) Now back to the topic at hand. I'm hikermom without a proper avatar. I'm going to out on a limb here and ask that one of the "peoples" in charge" to suggest one for me OR surprise me with one.. I don't mind either way is fine with me.
      :kiss: This emoticon is my new fav. :cheer:

I call giving Hikermom her avatar. Give me a few hours.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Storm wrote:

My name is Storm. I have been backpacking for about 5 years I think. Hiking (walking) for a lot longer.

I think I am the resident "OLD" person but not really sure, don't know everyone's ages. I just turned 67 on Wednesday.

All I can say is WOW :eek:
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Introduce Yourself

Storm wrote:

My name is Storm. I have been backpacking for about 5 years I think. Hiking (walking) for a lot longer.

I think I am the resident "OLD" person but not really sure, don't know everyone's ages. I just turned 67 on Wednesday.

Happy Belated Birthday Storm.

My name is milkman most of the time. It can change but the main ingredient stays the same - MILK!
      I first heard about the AT in an article in Boy's Life Magazine when I was 12 years old. It was called "Rattlers on the Appalachian Trail". We we're in Scouting at the time and the magazine was in the library. You couldn't check out magazines so we kept going back and reading it over and over. It was what started us out backpacking and camping on our own when we weren't involved with Scouting events. We had really small packs that we would put canned food wrapped up in our sleeping bags in, and we'd take turns carrying our tents in our hands. There would be 3 - 6 of us at any given time and we would sleep 2 to a tent when there was 4 or 6 of us and just squeeze 3 to a tent when there was 3 or 5. It was some of the best times in my life. We would pretend we were hiking the AT.
      First set foot on the AT in 1973 out of Neel's Gap on a 2 nighter. Kept going back whenever I could and doing what I could. Bits and pieces throughout GA, NC, and TN. Most recently have hiked and seen parts of it in VA an NH. Looking to do whatever I can whenever I can. Would like to eventually see it all.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Introduce Yourself

Oh my gosh!! I was afraid to log on.. I'm not lying! I like Dr. Phil. June Cleaver?...nah! BB.. always with the pie. Coach... wow.. never disappoints... Too kind!! RASTY.. my life is in your hands. Just don't make me have an ugly witch avatar and I'll be eternally grateful. This is fun!! *blowing kisses* Nice to meet you Lobo!

Happy Birthday Storm!! YOU LOOK GOOD!! You're a great person as well!! :)
    • Introduce Yourself

Hikermom wrote:

Oh my gosh!! I was afraid to log on.. I'm not lying! I like Dr. Phil. June Cleaver?...nah! BB.. always with the pie. Coach... wow.. never disappoints... Too kind!! RASTY.. my life is in your hands. Just don't make me have an ugly witch avatar and I'll be eternally grateful. This is fun!! *blowing kisses* Nice to meet you Lobo!

Duh! That's a terrible profile picture. Doesn't look like you at all.

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

I like it
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

I like it

That's her.........I've met her a couple of times :)
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:
    • Introduce Yourself

Hikermom wrote:

Don't ever trust a big blue meanie. See what happens.

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

It's the second best Avatar on this site
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Why.... thank you. Glad you like mine.

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Mine's the most valuable.
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Introduce Yourself

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Not what I meant. :thumbdown:
      Dr. Seuss Cof123
    • Re:Re: Re:Re: Introduce Yourself

milkman wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

Mine's the most valuable.

Looks fake
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

Rasty wrote:

BirdBrain wrote:

Hikermom wrote:

I'm goin' for #1.
    • Introduce Yourself

DeerHunter wrote:

Storm wrote:

Well, Happy Birthday Storm!

Ditto!
      Happy Birthday.
      Getting older is inevitable, growing up is optional.
      gif.004
      Resident Australian, proving being a grumpy old man is not just an American trait.
    • Introduce Yourself

Storm wrote:

How about our "well seasoned veteran".
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Introduce Yourself

Astro wrote:

Storm wrote:

How about our "well seasoned veteran".

Storm, and a belated Happy Birthday too! gif.004 gif.005 gif.004
    • Introduce Yourself

Hi, I am Astro. I had hiked some with the Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts (I have 3 teenage sons), but never really backpacked until my youngest son and I started out at Springer on Thanksgiving 2010. We picked up Neels Gap to Dick's Creek Gap at Spring Break 2011. Since then I have been on my own. This past summer I went from Hot Springs, NC to Pearisburg, VA. In October I was able to squeeze in a few days and made it to VA42 (Newport, VA). Still another 1500 miles to go. This summer my stretch goal is to make it to Bear Mountain, NY, but will still consider it a success if I make it to PA or NJ.

I have also hiked/backpacked some on the Ouachita Trail and other trails in AR, but really just more to try to get in shape for the AT. I worked for over 20 years as an IT Manager and Project Manager, but I am now a college professor. My trailname comes from working 18 years in Houston and their baseball team the Houston Astros.
    • Introduce Yourself

Astro wrote:

OzJacko wrote:

Astro wrote:

CoachLou wrote:

She even has the basket of cookies :evil:

I have to admit your girl scouts are a little different than they are down here.

Personally I consider that the perfect avatar for HM!
      gif.004

She does have a nice smile. :)

Shoes too.