Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Opening day of the college season was this past Friday and my American Legion coach's son got his first AB of the season, a single up the middle, for South Carolina. Today a kid that I coached got the start on the mound, also for SC, and was impressive. 6 ip, 2 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB and 11K. He was a basket case when I had him, big arm, but no confidence. He would cruise for an inning or two, but then he'd convince himself his shadow was plotting an axe murdering of himself, lol. He was our number 3 guy.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

seems early; so i checked the local high school and they started last nite also.

something here that has never made sense to me; the state championships finishes up on the weekend AFTER the last day of school. so the team never gets to go back to school and get all the attention that the other sports teams do.
      Our High School Graduation used to be on the same day as the State Championship game, so in the past players missed graduation. So a few years back they switched graduation to Sunday to prevent this.
      I was talking with our university coaches wife and she said due to the cold weather some teams in WI play most of their schedule in the summer after school is out.
      Iowa does the same.
      If your Doctor is a tree, you're on acid.
    • max.patch wrote:

man saves little kid from getting hit by bat that flew into the stands at braves-pirates game.

maybe the little kid shoulda been paying attention instead of playing with his thingee... :)
      the look on the kids face is like
      "aw crap"
      I wonder just how long it is for an 8 year olds life to flash before his eyes, gotta be pretty quick, right?
    • Went to respond to MP, and the post below was still in the buffer as a draft. Unfortunately the rain keeps falling. :(

Youngest son struck out 9 in 3 innings last night.

Unfortunately tonight's game cancelled due to rain, and looking the same for games on Friday and Saturday games.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • max.patch wrote:

goose screams at the whole world to get off his lawn.

usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/…ds-running-game/81593088/
      I guess I might be getting old (at least that is what my children think), but I am a lot more in Goose's than Bautista/Cespedes/Harper's side on this.

While Paplebon may also be a jerk, I believe he probably was right to get in Harper's face last year for not hustling.

You can show emotion like Hunter Pence, Sergio Romo, Jose Altulve, and many others with out disrespecting the game.
    • whatta get the baseball fan who has everthing?

here ya go, astro. this houston astros pen filled with infield dirt from minute maid park (and ya get a certificate of authienticity for the dirt, lol) is usually $30 but i just got a groupon for $20.

[IMG:https://s3.amazonaws.com/steiner2-java/images/skus/ASTRPEN000000_zoom_IMAGE1_460562.JPG]
      This incredible Houston Astros Executive Pen with authentic dirt from Minute Maid Park is a great gift for the sports fan in your life. It is a perfect practical way to show your fandom to your team and the recipient will love it for years to come. This ball point pen writes in black ink and also comes with a functional stylus at the top for your smart phone or tablet. This pen also features the team logo and colors. The dirt inside this pen is MLB Authenticated and comes complete with a MLB Hologram and Steiner Sports Certificate of Authenticity.
      2,000 miler
    • My son pitched three innings last night. Struck out 7, walked one, gave up one little dribbler that went straight to the 1st baseman. The All Star coach was scouting him. He approached us after the game and said he made the team. I'm proud. He has worked hard and achieved his goal. This morning I got us tickets to the Braves season opener......
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

My son pitched three innings last night. Struck out 7, walked one, gave up one little dribbler that went straight to the 1st baseman. The All Star coach was scouting him. He approached us after the game and said he made the team. I'm proud. He has worked hard and achieved his goal. This morning I got us tickets to the Braves season opener......
      Congratulations! :thumbup:
      I have a lot of fond memories coaching All-Stars. Like playing a another season at a higher level, with a lot more higher quality practice and competition.
    • Astro wrote:

Trebor wrote:

My son pitched three innings last night. Struck out 7, walked one, gave up one little dribbler that went straight to the 1st baseman. The All Star coach was scouting him. He approached us after the game and said he made the team. I'm proud. He has worked hard and achieved his goal. This morning I got us tickets to the Braves season opener......
      Congratulations! :thumbup: I have a lot of fond memories coaching All-Stars. Like playing a another season at a higher level, with a lot more higher quality practice and competition.
      thanks. He's stoked about making the team (before tryouts too). I haven't been asked to Asst Coach yet. If I am ill probably accept. It's a lot of work but a lot of fun too.
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

Astro wrote:

Trebor wrote:

Congratulations! :thumbup: I have a lot of fond memories coaching All-Stars. Like playing a another season at a higher level, with a lot more higher quality practice and competition.
      thanks. He's stoked about making the team (before tryouts too). I haven't been asked to Asst Coach yet. If I am ill probably accept. It's a lot of work but a lot of fun too.
      Congrats to him...

As my track coach told me upon his retirement, coaching is one of the few jobs one can view the results of your efforts for years.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • the series is new-york v houston.

picture this...with a little advance notice, astro coulda snagged a couple of those 25 cent tickets, hiked for a week and gone straight to the game. no shower. no laundry. trail to stadium. the perfect riff-raff fan.

Comedian buys Yankee tickets for ‘riff-raff’ fans

NEW YORK — HBO’s John Oliver is selling premium Yankee tickets for 25 cents. But buyer beware: You must dress like you don’t belong there.
      Oliver’s show purchased two high-priced seats behind home plate for this week’s opening three-game series at Yankee Stadium and will sell them for a quarter each with one provision — the fans must be poorly dressed.

After the Yankees announced that fans no longer could print tickets at home, chief operating officer Lonn Trost spoke on radio station WFAN in February. He was concerned a fan buying a discounted ticket from a resale service “may be someone who has never sat in a premium location, so that’s a frustration to our existing fan base.”

On “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” the British comic on Sunday called the team elitist and said those wanting the 25cent tickets during the series against Houston should tweet photo of themselves and their planned guest in clothing they intend to wear.

“There will be riff-raff in those seats,” Oliver said. “You must dress like you have never sat in a premium location before.”
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Astro wrote:

Great story, walk on at Western Carolina University, then 33rd round draft picks makes Astros opening day roster and lineup.

m.astros.mlb.com/news/article/…is-way-onto-astros-roster
      Story gets even better, after 4 games 2 HR, 7RBI, and hitting nearly .700. Not for sure how long it will last, but sure am enjoying it for him while it does.
    • The Braves management completely dismantled last years team. Their idea was to spend money and trade good players to boost the bullpen. They failed miserably as the Braves are 0-6. At this rate the attendance will get so low that they wont be able to pay the light bill at the new stadium. Sure hope things turn around as the season progresses.......
      RIAP
    • Trebor wrote:

The Braves management completely dismantled last years team. Their idea was to spend money and trade good players to boost the bullpen. They failed miserably as the Braves are 0-6. At this rate the attendance will get so low that they wont be able to pay the light bill at the new stadium. Sure hope things turn around as the season progresses.......
      Have faith, they are doing the right thing. I bet they will be contending by 2018, if not 2017.

The worst thing is the purgatory of year-end year-out .500 teams.
    • Trebor wrote:

The Braves management completely dismantled last years team. Their idea was to spend money and trade good players to boost the bullpen. They failed miserably as the Braves are 0-6. At this rate the attendance will get so low that they wont be able to pay the light bill at the new stadium. Sure hope things turn around as the season progresses.......
      they need a game against the twins.

if they can't pay the light bill i'm sure cobb county will pay it for em. we're paying for everything else.
      2,000 miler
    • First impression of the Red Sox...

After two consecutive last place seasons they have no place to go but up. The acquisition of David Price will help, but I question if this team can improve much above .500.

Pablo Sandoval has been am expensive disaster. I don't know if people saw his opening day wardrobe malfunction, but what an embarrassment. I don't think manager John Farrell is going to last the season.

That said, there is some great young talent on this team and it should be fun seeing them play. Xander Bogaerts, Mookie Betts, and Eduardo Rodriguez have great promise. This is also the last year for Davis Ortiz. His bat may have slowed down a bit, but he really seems to be enjoying himself, and enjoying the game, and it will be great to see him close out his career wearing a Red Sox uniform.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Trebor wrote:

they need a game against the twins.
      if they can't pay the light bill i'm sure cobb county will pay it for em. we're paying for everything else.
      and those of us in Cherokee appreciate it!!
      RIAP
    • max.patch wrote:

the guy on first base is faster than the batter, so....

(good example of the defensive player having his head in the game)

I have always thought that would be a good idea, but never seen it done. For a bonus, if the batter isn't running the way he should, you could potentially double him up at first. Boy would that be embarrassing. Of course this is why they have the infield fly rule when two runners are on.
    • max.patch wrote:

mike rowe (the dirty jobs guy)talked about baseball on his latest short (6:30) podcast. this actually isn't one of his better ones -- no surprise ending -- but a bit of baseball history.

click on episode 12 "one hit wonder".

mikerowe.com/podcast/
      Reminds me of an old Mike Royko column he wrote about when he hit a Homerun in a major league tryout. I believe their was a big buzz with the scouts until they had him run and try fielding (this was way back before the DH).
    • odd man out wrote:

max.patch wrote:

the guy on first base is faster than the batter, so....

(good example of the defensive player having his head in the game)

I have always thought that would be a good idea, but never seen it done. For a bonus, if the batter isn't running the way he should, you could potentially double him up at first. Boy would that be embarrassing. Of course this is why they have the infield fly rule when two runners are on.
      This was Tyler White the Western Carolina walk-on, 33rd round draft pick rookie who no body expected to make the club, so believe me he is running it out, so no shot at the DP. But still smart move by Kinsler to exchange Rasmus speed for White's lack thereof. With a veteran star player good shot at the DP.

Was hoping for the sweep, but at least Astros got 2 out of 3.
    • thot i was reading about the braves at first...

Softball team loses game after early celebration
      McKINNEY, Texas — It ain’t over until a team is sure the umpire has signaled the final out.
      A Dallas-area high school softball team lost a district championship game Friday night by celebrating too soon while three runs scored after an umpire called a runner safe when the team thought it had gotten the final out.
      Video from the stands shows Wylie High School’s second baseman thinking she had a force play with the bases loaded on a throw from the shortstop and rushing to celebrate an apparent 6-4 win with teammates while tossing the ball toward the pitching circle. But the umpire had signaled safe.
      The tying run had scored behind the lead runner for McKinney North about the time some Wylie players figured it out.
      A frantic throw home was wild, and the third runner sprinted to the plate, sliding in for the unusual 7-6 walk-off win.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

another baseball related podcast by mike rowe. this one has a surprise ending, but i knew exactly how it was going to end (that never happens!) almost immediately even though i had never heard this story before. recommended for baseball and history buffs.

episode 13 - on my honor.

mikerowe.com/podcast/
      Abilene was the clue for me.

If you haven't listened, try 'The Long Shot'. Her techniques are still taught in this specialized skill.

Thanks for providing the link...first time I've known of it.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • max.patch wrote:

thot i was reading about the braves at first...

Softball team loses game after early celebration
      McKINNEY, Texas — It ain’t over until a team is sure the umpire has signaled the final out.
      A Dallas-area high school softball team lost a district championship game Friday night by celebrating too soon while three runs scored after an umpire called a runner safe when the team thought it had gotten the final out.
      Video from the stands shows Wylie High School’s second baseman thinking she had a force play with the bases loaded on a throw from the shortstop and rushing to celebrate an apparent 6-4 win with teammates while tossing the ball toward the pitching circle. But the umpire had signaled safe.
      The tying run had scored behind the lead runner for McKinney North about the time some Wylie players figured it out.
      A frantic throw home was wild, and the third runner sprinted to the plate, sliding in for the unusual 7-6 walk-off win.
      Up your a$$ is never an appropriate place to put your head.

Edit to add: why do I feel so hypocritical saying that?
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.