Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Baseball Thread

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

as a cobb county resident, i wish the braves would stay in atlanta where they belong.

I guess I am just the opposite, if the Astros had of moved to the NW side of town as proposed instead of downtown, I probably would have never moved and left the Houston area. Having a team 5 miles away with good roads on my side of town would have been too good to leave. But having to drive downtown and the expensive parking was too much of an effort to be a factor in keeping me there.

When I lived in Billings I was only 5 houses away from dead centerfield at Cobb Stadium which was the home field for the Billings Mustangs. It was great. We could hear the music during practice and warm-up before the games. We would walk down and get in as early as we could. We loved it.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.
    • Baseball Thread

i am in the distinct minority here, but i really like tropicana park where the tampa bay rays play. when its 90 degrees outside and the humidity is off the charts, sitting in that air conditioned stadium out of the sun is pure heaven.

the fans there suck, no one goes to the games, and when i saw tampa bay play the new york yankees i bet 75% of those in attendance were rooting for new york.
      2,000 miler
    • Baseball Thread

max.patch wrote:

i am in the distinct minority here, but i really like tropicana park where the tampa bay rays play. when its 90 degrees outside and the humidity is off the charts, sitting in that air conditioned stadium out of the sun is pure heaven.

the fans there suck, no one goes to the games, and when i saw tampa bay play the new york yankees i bet 75% of those in attendance were rooting for new york.

Yeah, that stinks because the new management is doing such a good job there. Happens to coincide with when they dropped the Devil they started winning. Although I think it has more to do with the Wall Street Guys moves.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Baseball Thread

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

as a cobb county resident, i wish the braves would stay in atlanta where they belong.

I guess I am just the opposite, if the Astros had of moved to the NW side of town as proposed instead of downtown, I probably would have never moved and left the Houston area. Having a team 5 miles away with good roads on my side of town would have been too good to leave. But having to drive downtown and the expensive parking was too much of an effort to be a factor in keeping me there.

When I lived in Billings I was only 5 houses away from dead centerfield at Cobb Stadium which was the home field for the Billings Mustangs. It was great. We could hear the music during practice and warm-up before the games. We would walk down and get in as early as we could. We loved it.

I guy I went to high school with played there before he made it to the Majors. If the home team hit a home run they would call it a "foam run" and give out free beer (or course for a limited time).
    • Baseball Thread

milkman wrote:

Baseball is just a damn good game!

You got that right. I did my last draft last for our 13-15 year old league. Set with pitching, catcher, infield and top of the batting line up, just worried about my latter picks for the OF and bottom of the lineup. But it is gonna be fun.
    • Baseball Thread

Astro wrote:

milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I guy I went to high school with played there before he made it to the Majors. If the home team hit a home run they would call it a "foam run" and give out free beer (or course for a limited time).

You're right. They did it when I was there. I'd grab me a Cobb dog too. To this day it was the best hotdog I ever got at a ballpark. It's just a single A team and the Billings residents volunteer to put players up in their homes. When they go on the road they gotta sleep like 6 or 8 to a room. That is baseball love.
    • Baseball Thread

Don't look now but the hottest team in baseball right now is the Houston Astros! gif.004

6 straight wins. George Springer has 10 Home Runs in the month of May.

Yeah still a long way to go, but finally moving in the right direction.
    • Baseball Thread

odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

Don't look now but the hottest team in baseball right now is the Houston Astros! gif.004

And they have a better record than the Cubs now!

Yeah, and if Bud Selig had left us in the NL Central and sent his Brewers back to the AL like he should have, we might have an even better record.
    • Baseball Thread

Astro wrote:

7 of Springer's Home Runs have been in the last 7 games.
    • Looks like Yankees might bring up switch pitcher. Greg Harris used to do this for the Astros in Spring Training (he had a special 6 finger glove) Considered having my son pitch right handed in the league during the week this past year to save arm for pitching left handed on the weekend in travel tournaments (he throws a football and shoots a basketball right handed, while writing and most other things left handed).

youtube.com/watch?v=yDyCRTlKllk

network.yardbarker.com/mlb/art…or_league_action/17183192
    • Astro wrote:

Looks like Yankees might bring up switch pitcher. Greg Harris used to do this for the Astros in Spring Training (he had a special 6 finger glove) Considered having my son pitch right handed in the league during the week this past year to save arm for pitching left handed on the weekend in travel tournaments (he throws a football and shoots a basketball right handed, while writing and most other things left handed).

youtube.com/watch?v=yDyCRTlKllk

network.yardbarker.com/mlb/art…or_league_action/17183192

That's just good stuff. Way too cool. Ya gotta love it.
    • i know a lot more about basketball than baseball, but it seems to me that a pitcher who goes both ways :) certainly has one arm that is better than the other. major league baseball is the best against the best. assuming that a pitchers left arm is dominant, it seem to me that any advantage using the right arm to get a righty/righty matchup would be more than offset by using the non dominant arm. in other words, i'd rather have a pitcher with a 3.00 era throwing left handed to a right handed batter than a right handed pitcher with a 4.00 era throwing to a right handed batter.

bet bill james knows the answer.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

i know a lot more about basketball than baseball, but it seems to me that a pitcher who goes both ways :) certainly has one arm that is better than the other. major league baseball is the best against the best. assuming that a pitchers left arm is dominant, it seem to me that any advantage using the right arm to get a righty/righty matchup would be more than offset by using the non dominant arm. in other words, i'd rather have a pitcher with a 3.00 era throwing left handed to a right handed batter than a right handed pitcher with a 4.00 era throwing to a right handed batter.

bet bill james knows the answer.

Probably why we have only seen it in Spring Training and the minor until now. And if it happens it will be for September for a team out of contention.
    • Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

The only thing I know about baseball is that I like going to the Long Island Ducks games.
      They are a local minor league team and it's more fun than a Yankees or Mets game.
      liducks.com/home/

Lot less expensive and for better seats. :thumbsup:

And they're playin' with heart, not for money.
    • milkman wrote:

Astro wrote:

LIhikers wrote:

The only thing I know about baseball is that I like going to the Long Island Ducks games.
      They are a local minor league team and it's more fun than a Yankees or Mets game.
      liducks.com/home/

Lot less expensive and for better seats. :thumbsup:

And they're playin' with heart, not for money.

Yes, for the love of the game!

Which is why I have no sympathy for them when they go on strike.
    • odd man out wrote:

Interesting to watch the same play called by several announcers. How great is Vin Scully?

Definitely one of the best (some would probably say the best). Amazing that he is still doing it. My 14 year old son listening to nearly all of the Dodger games. I glad he has also been fortunate enough to hear him do games.
    • In youth baseball to save time you can just automatically put them on. Side benefit you do not have to worry about that.

Many years ago I was coaching a women's softball team and my girlfriend at the time was pitching. The other team's lineup was a batter short so therefore an automatic out. When the last batter was up with two outs (with runners on base) I am in the dugout yelling at my girlfriend to walk her and she doesn't understand why (and probably thinks I am nuts). Now I realize I should have just called time and explained it to her. But if they had the rule back then it would have been nice.
    • Astro wrote:

In youth baseball to save time you can just automatically put them on. Side benefit you do not have to worry about that....

I always wondered why the catcher jumps to the side the catch a pitch out, but then I learned that if the catcher isn't in the catcher's box when the pitch is thrown, it's a balk.

Also, I recall the blooper where the pitcher missed the pitch out call. The catcher jumps to the side and the pitcher drills a fast ball right in the middle of the ump's chest protector. Then he called it a strike.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

In youth baseball to save time you can just automatically put them on. Side benefit you do not have to worry about that....

I always wondered why the catcher jumps to the side the catch a pitch out, but then I learned that if the catcher isn't in the catcher's box when the pitch is thrown, it's a balk.

Also, I recall the blooper where the pitcher missed the pitch out call. The catcher jumps to the side and the pitcher drills a fast ball right in the middle of the ump's chest protector. Then he called it a strike.

My middle son was catching once when he got that called on him. His coach asked the umpire to show him where the catching box was, but it did not change the call.

I remember back in the 1972 World Series when Dick Williams goes to the mound with a 3-2 (full) count and motions for them to walk Johnny Bench. Gene Tenace (or Dave Duncan) sets up outside and then move back just before it arrives and catches a strike.