Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

I think this is one of those times you should ignore the analytic guys. I like Maddon but was asleep on this one. Or in the bathroom.

twitter.com/i/status/1384713912931737602
      Yordan Alvarez did it earlier this season, but that was leading off the inning.
      But this was with a runner on third. :huh:
      Rangers may not be good, but that doesn't mean they are dumb. Good for them :thumbup:
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

I think this is one of those times you should ignore the analytic guys. I like Maddon but was asleep on this one. Or in the bathroom.

twitter.com/i/status/1384713912931737602
      Yordan Alvarez did it earlier this season, but that was leading off the inning.But this was with a runner on third. :huh:
      Rangers may not be good, but that doesn't mean they are dumb. Good for them :thumbup:
      mlb.com/astros/video/alvarez-s-perfect-bunt-single-041021
    • max.patch wrote:

Recognizing Bumgarners no-hitter makes a lot more sense to me than recognizing stats achieved in the Negro League.,
      I would agree with that.

And it is not Bumgarner's fault he didn't get to pitch the last 2 innings. But I would hold bar at 9. How about Harvey Haddix and Clay Kirby and all those other unique situations. But, I guess it gives us something to talk about. :)
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Arizona beats Atlanta 7-0.
      Officially

Madison Bumgarner pitches a no-hitter.
      Unofficially

Something doesn't make sense...
      Gotta pitch 9.Tradeoff of playing 7 inning double headers.
      So the woman who pitched a 7 inning perfect game wasn't perfect?
      Not for MLB.
    • First base vs first base.

Freeman 4-4 and needs a triple for the cycle.

<snip>

Anthony Rizzo warned Freddie Freeman. From the on-deck circle at Truist Park, the Cubs first baseman caught Freeman's eye in the top of the seventh on Wednesday night.

"I was kind of loosening my arm up," Rizzo said with a grin. "And I go, 'I want you,' pointing at him."

Tony vs. Frederick.

In a 10-0 rout by the Braves, it was a heavyweight bout that baseball fans did not realize they so desperately needed. In the bottom of the seventh, Rizzo took the mound, took on the reigning National League MVP, and neither All-Star could stop smiling.

2,000 miler
    • Interesting video about why we don't see screwball pitchers any more. Not surprising that Carl Hubbell and Fernando Valenzuela are the two pitchers to strike out the first five batters in an All-Star game. Hubbell in 1934 against five "future" Hall Of Famers was probably most impressive. But Fernando's in 1986 is special to me since I saw it in person at the Astrodome. :)

• Sportscenter just happened to be on and they cut to the Orioles-Mariners game at the bottom of the 9th so I got to see the end of John Means no hitter.

The only baserunner struck out, catcher didn't hold it, he made it to first (earlier in the game; didn't see it) on a ruled wild pitch and then was caught stealing. I guess that's as close to a perfect game that wasn't as your're gonna see.

Don't know what the average is for context, but they said his first pitch was a strike to 26 of the 27 batters he faced.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Sportscenter just happened to be on and they cut to the Orioles-Mariners game at the bottom of the 9th so I got to see the end of John Means no hitter.

The only baserunner struck out, catcher didn't hold it, he made it to first (earlier in the game; didn't see it) on a ruled wild pitch and then was caught stealing. I guess that's as close to a perfect game that wasn't as your're gonna see.

Don't know what the average is for context, but they said his first pitch was a strike to 26 of the 27 batters he faced.
      26 out of 27 first pitch strikes is very impressive. Starting ahead in the count is the way to dominate a game.
    • I love it when the shift doesn't work.

<snip>

Astros' shift let Yankees' Gleyber Torres astonishingly score from first on a ball that never left the infield

With the New York Yankees down two runs in the eighth inning and Gleyber Torres on at first, Aaron Hicks hit a hard liner up the middle that was knocked down by Carlos Correa, who was playing to the right of second base as part of a shift. That was when chaos ensued.

Torres, seeing that third baseman Alex Bregman was around second base with third uncovered, continued running despite the ball staying in the infield. And when catcher Martin Maldonado tried to cover third, Torres saw that home was uncovered, so he channeled his inner Forrest Gump and just kept running (and outran Maldonado who tried to catch up to cover home).

The Astros could only watch as Torres dove into home.

It was equal parts hilarious and genius.

2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I love it when the shift doesn't work.

<snip>

Astros' shift let Yankees' Gleyber Torres astonishingly score from first on a ball that never left the infield

With the New York Yankees down two runs in the eighth inning and Gleyber Torres on at first, Aaron Hicks hit a hard liner up the middle that was knocked down by Carlos Correa, who was playing to the right of second base as part of a shift. That was when chaos ensued.

Torres, seeing that third baseman Alex Bregman was around second base with third uncovered, continued running despite the ball staying in the infield. And when catcher Martin Maldonado tried to cover third, Torres saw that home was uncovered, so he channeled his inner Forrest Gump and just kept running (and outran Maldonado who tried to catch up to cover home).

The Astros could only watch as Torres dove into home.

It was equal parts hilarious and genius.

Hard to fault the catcher Maldanado acting on instinct, but the pitcher needs to be aware of what is going on an cover home if the catcher is sprinting to third.
    • 2 posts in one day -- the Astros are in the news today!

If this Astros prospect makes it to the majors -- this is the Asheville Tourists High A team -- he's already got the bat flip thing mastered.

ETA: 3/5, 2 HRs, 3 runs scored, 5 RBIs.
      Plays 2B. Altuve looking nervous... :)
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• RIP Tawny Kitaen, 59 y/o.

Probably best known for her performance in the Whitesnake video below.

Making this baseball related, she was married to LA Angeles pitcher (traded to Cleveland before all the excitement happened) Chuck Finley when she beat him up by kicking him in the face with her stilleto heels.She was arrested for spousal abuse and battery. Finley understandably filed for divorce shortly thereafter. That was a big story at the time; if it happened today the internets would go crazy.

And in a final baseball footnote, when Finley took the mound for a game against the White Sox, the Sox musical director played the music from the Whitesnake video. While I think this was brillant, he was fired for doing so depite apologizing for his musical choice.

2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

RIP Tawny Kitaen, 59 y/o.

Probably best known for her performance in the Whitesnake video below.

Making this baseball related, she was married to LA Angeles pitcher (traded to Cleveland before all the excitement happened) Chuck Finley when she beat him up by kicking him in the face with her stilleto heels.She was arrested for spousal abuse and battery. Finley understandably filed for divorce shortly thereafter. That was a big story at the time; if it happened today the internets would go crazy.

And in a final baseball footnote, when Finley took the mound for a game against the White Sox, the Sox musical director played the music from the Whitesnake video. While I think this was brillant, he was fired for doing so depite apologizing for his musical choice.

Had a few roles as an actress too, being engaged to Tom Hanks and dating Jerry Seinfeld.
    • lol, an old article from ESPN:

And now she faces domestic abuse charges and a possible year in prison for attacking her husband, Cleveland pitcher Chuck Finley, kicking him repeatedly with her high heels. He, meanwhile, faces constant heckling for the rest of his career and the distinct possibility that despite nearly 200 wins and more than 2,000 strikeouts, he will be forever remembered as the 6-foot-6 pitcher who got beat up by the chick in the Whitesnake videos.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

lol, an old article from ESPN:

And now she faces domestic abuse charges and a possible year in prison for attacking her husband, Cleveland pitcher Chuck Finley, kicking him repeatedly with her high heels. He, meanwhile, faces constant heckling for the rest of his career and the distinct possibility that despite nearly 200 wins and more than 2,000 strikeouts, he will be forever remembered as the 6-foot-6 pitcher who got beat up by the chick in the Whitesnake videos.
      The concerning thing is she was my age. Which I feel is too young to be passing way, but I am sure my life has not been shall we say as "eventful" as hers. :)
    • I saw a video of that yesterday and I totally disagree with you.

The Twins bitched about it. The Twins announcers bitched about it (that was the video I saw). La Russa bitched about it.

They're complaining that one of the "unwritten rules" was broken and that's not playing the game the "right way."

Is playing the game the "right way" putting in a position player to pitch and he's throwing up 47 mph lobs? You do that and you have to accept whatever comes next. I think that's more "disrespectful" to the game than a batter doing what he' supposed to do -- hit the ball.

To make sure everyone knows where I'm coming from...

I think it's interesting when a position player pitches in a blowout. I don't have a problem with that at all.

If you were agreeing with La Russa that Mercedes screwed up by missing the "take" sign, then I agree with that. But that isn't in the article. The fact that he hit a homer -- good for him.

This reminds me of a difference of opinion I had with a friend at a Kennesaw State basketball game 2-3 years ago. KSU was down by about 20 with 1 second left to go in the game and a player on the other team shot and made an uncontested 3 point basket. My friend said "I'm pissed that he took that shot; he shoulda just held the ball. I said "I'm pissed we didn't guard him."
      2,000 miler
    • I agree most unwritten rules are dumb. Flip a bat or take tenth of a second too long to watch your homer and you get a fastball in the back. I often thought boring last 30 seconds of a basketball blowout would be more fun for everyone if the guy with the ball tried a half court shot at the buzzer. Go ahead LeBron. 100 bucks says you can't make it.
    • max.patch wrote:

I saw a video of that yesterday and I totally disagree with you.

The Twins bitched about it. The Twins announcers bitched about it (that was the video I saw). La Russa bitched about it.

They're complaining that one of the "unwritten rules" was broken and that's not playing the game the "right way."

Is playing the game the "right way" putting in a position player to pitch and he's throwing up 47 mph lobs? You do that and you have to accept whatever comes next. I think that's more "disrespectful" to the game than a batter doing what he' supposed to do -- hit the ball.

To make sure everyone knows where I'm coming from...

I think it's interesting when a position player pitches in a blowout. I don't have a problem with that at all.

If you were agreeing with La Russa that Mercedes screwed up by missing the "take" sign, then I agree with that. But that isn't in the article. The fact that he hit a homer -- good for him.

This reminds me of a difference of opinion I had with a friend at a Kennesaw State basketball game 2-3 years ago. KSU was down by about 20 with 1 second left to go in the game and a player on the other team shot and made an uncontested 3 point basket. My friend said "I'm pissed that he took that shot; he shoulda just held the ball. I said "I'm pissed we didn't guard him."
      1-0, 2-0, 3-1, go ahead and swing away. But 3-0 and take sign from 3rd base coach, you take one.

Yeah, I guess I picked the wrong link. Ignoring coaches take sign is the issue.
    • 3 - 0, I say swing away.
      Scott's unwritten rule is that the fans deserve to see every player playing their best game.

If the manager wants to show some 'sportsmanship' by using a blowout as an opportunity to give a bench warmer some at bats, I am all for that. That is the way a blowout should be handled.
      But don't send one of the games hot young hitters up there and expect him to lay off the ball.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • I believe this is a written rule:

"Any player, coach, manager, sponsor or spectator whose conduct is unbecoming or abusive shall at a minimum be reprimanded with a warning. If warranted, the offending party shall be ejected from the game at the discretion of the Umpires and / or the League / Tournament Director."
    • Astro wrote:

Not a fan of Tony LaRussa by any means, but I have to admit he is right on this one...
      Our local paper devoted a whole page to this issue in today's sports section. The article cited a remarkable statistic. Mercedes was the first person in 20 years to swing at a 3-0 pitch when their team was winning by more than 9 runs. I'm not sure it's particularly relevant in basing an opinion, but it did find it to be a curious statistic.
    • max.patch wrote:

Can't post a link becasue the only article I've seen is behind a paywall, but a couple days ago in Michigan High School Softball action, Catherine O'Donouhue pitched a no hitter. And for good measure also hit for the cycle.

That's a pretty good game.
      JR Richard type game. :thumbup:
      Remember him talking with Roy Firestone (loved that show, used to tape it and watch it when I came home from work) about the stuff he did in high school.

Per wikipedia.com
      Richard was born to Clayton and Lizzie (née Frost) Richard in Vienna, Louisiana[6] and gained prominence in both baseball and basketball at historically black and since closed Lincoln High School in nearby Ruston.[7] By the time he was a high school senior, Richard stood 6 feet 8 inches (2.03 m) tall and weighed 220 pounds (99.8 kg; 15.7 st).[8] That year, he was one of the starting pitchers for Lincoln High School and did not concede a run for the entire season. In one game Richard hit four consecutive home runs while pitching his team to a 48–0 victory against its local rival, Jonesboro's Jackson High School.[9] Richard, whose baseball idol was St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Bob Gibson, never lost a game he started in his high school career.[7]