Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

The Royals start a 4 games series today in Toronto.

Minus 10 (!) players who have not been vaccinated.

Last year Toronto finished with 91 Wins, 71 Losses, or a .562 winning percentage.

Today they are 47 wins and 42 losses, a .528 winning percentage.

The Vax advantage does not seem to have helped their winning percentage.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Last year Toronto finished with 91 Wins, 71 Losses, or a .562 winning percentage.

Toronto record:

Home 27-18 .600
      Away 20-24 .455

While you expect a home field advantage, especially in baseball, I'm not going to take the time to analyze who they've played at home vs on the road to have an opinion if this is signigficant or not.

Whats interesting is that Toronto, Boston, and Seattle are in a 3 way tie for the last 2 wild card spots. If Toronto -- which plays games against teams that are not at full strength -- makes the playoffs by 1 game or so this topic is sure to come up again.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• max.patch wrote:

IMScotty wrote:

Toronto record:
      Home 27-18 .600
      Away 20-24 .455

While you expect a home field advantage, especially in baseball, I'm not going to take the time to analyze who they've played at home vs on the road to have an opinion if this is signigficant or not.

Whats interesting is that Toronto, Boston, and Seattle are in a 3 way tie for the last 2 wild card spots. If Toronto -- which plays games against teams that are not at full strength -- makes the playoffs by 1 game or so this topic is sure to come up again.
      Make them start playing in Buffalo again. :D

Dunedin was distorting the record books too much.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • So if the All Star game is tied after 9 innings they decide the winner by...a home run derby?

3 batters each. 3 swings each. Most HR's wins.

I understand why they're doing it -- the spectre of Bud Selig standing up in 2002 and raising his arms while saying "no mas" is something they don't want to repeat. And the game doesn't mean anything.

But a home run derby?

I'd rather put 3 ghost runners on base and play the 10th.

Or let the position players pitch. That's always fun.

Or just call it a tie and go home.

The Athletic had an interesting article. If you're gonna have a home run derby then have only the pitchers bat. Of course -- what do you do about Ohtani?
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Bud tried that and it was the most disappointing ending to an all star game ever.

Let them play it like a regular game. If you use up all your pitchers, then you start sending position players in to pitch. That should end things pretty quickly.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Bud tried that and it was the most disappointing ending to an all star game ever.
      Let them play it like a regular game. If you use up all your pitchers, then you start sending position players in to pitch. That should end things pretty quickly.
      True, but that's probably becasue it was a surprise.

I just hate the idea of a home run derby. I do love watching games where the position players come in and pitch.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

lol, for some reason FB served up this 4 year old picture for my viewing enjoyment.

scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v…prX2U-cdwOMoQ&oe=62E0F748
      Reality is Kike Hernandez did it is a joke due to her being a 6'2" former Volleyball player. With all of his clutch hits and all I don't believe he is struggling with his masculinity, just shows he has a healthy sense of humor. :)
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Angels come to town for the weekend for the first time since 2014.

Ohtani pitching tonight.

Do I need to say it's a sellout? Even the SRO tickets are gone.
      So the question is, did you get your ticket?
      lol, I have a :rolleyes: great seat on the couch.
      PTI just gave an interesting stat. In their last 18 games the Angels are 3-15. Ohtani has the the 3 wins.
      Now even Ohtani can't win. Long way from their hot start of the season. :rolleyes:
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

lol, for some reason FB served up this 4 year old picture for my viewing enjoyment.

scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v…prX2U-cdwOMoQ&oe=62E0F748
      Reality is Kike Hernandez did it is a joke due to her being a 6'2" former Volleyball player. With all of his clutch hits and all I don't believe he is struggling with his masculinity, just shows he has a healthy sense of humor. :)
      It was a better story before I knew that. :)
      2,000 miler
    • Astro wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

So the question is, did you get your ticket?
      lol, I have a :rolleyes: great seat on the couch.PTI just gave an interesting stat. In their last 18 games the Angels are 3-15. Ohtani has the the 3 wins.
      Now even Ohtani can't win. Long way from their hot start of the season. :rolleyes:
      There was something for everybody last night.

First an intro: In Ohtani's last 6 starts before last night he was 6-0 with an ERA of 0.45 giving up 2 earned runs in 39 2/3 innings.

Recap: Since the game started an hour late due to a rain delay, I enjoyed my seat on the couch even more than I thot I would. :)

If you came to see Ohtani: After 6 innings the game was a scoreless tie. Ohtani was absolutely dominant -- 6 innings, no walks, 1 hit, 11 strike outs. Fine with me, tonight I was rooting for Ohtani.

If you came to see the home team win: Ohtani was dominant until he wasn't. The 7th inning for Atlanta went -- walk, HR, single, single, single, out, HR. So if you're keeping score that's 1/3 of an inning, 1 walk, 5 hits (2 HR's), 6 runs (all earned). Ohtani hit the showers and I switched to Shark Tank.

ETA: Forgot to mention that those 39 2/3 innings included 58 strikeouts.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• This sculpture of baseball player ‘Bud Fowler’ (John W. Jackson) stands outside of Fraser Field in Lynn, MA. On May 17th, 1878 Bud became the first black professional baseball player when he pitched for the Lynn ‘Live Oaks’.’ The Lynn team won that game 3-0 when the London (Ontario) Tecumsehs walked off the field in protest.

Fowler played several seasons of professional baseball, often moving on to new clubs due to racial mistreatment. Bud Fowler has finally received the recognition he deserves for his contribution to integrating baseball.
      Today, Bud Fowler was inducted into the ‘Hall of Fame.’

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • To celebrate 'Bud Fowler Day,' I attended a Lynn, 'North Shore Navigators' game. The Navigators are in the 'New England Collegiate Baseball League (NECBL).

This is a tough life for the players. No pay to keep their amateur status. I know the team often asks local families to 'host' players, since many are from away. About half the field on the Navs tonight seemed to be 'fifth year' college students trying to get scouted before their career is over. Since MLB went from 160 to 120 minor league teams these kids have the odds stacked against them.

That said, the level of play was quit high. There were two outstanding defensive plays that got me on my feet. Shame that there were only about 200 people in attendance. This team must be bleeding money. I hope the owner has deep pockets. It was an inexpensive evening of entertainment for me; $5 admission and $8 for a nice sausage sub with peppers & onions.

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Cable and satellite TV, VHS, DVD, and now the internet and streaming have led to a slow death of amateur and minor league baseball. Used to be great reasonably priced entertainment for towns all the way up to cities without a MLB team.

But now there are so many other entertainment options. Even just in baseball. When I was growing up there was the Saturday game, then eventually one added on Monday night. In college there was the Cubs and "Amerca's Team" Braves. Now I can watch the Astros everyday on my couch on a large screen TV.

Minor league baseball in the past was attended by a lot of people not necessarily big baseball fans, but just looking for reasonably priced entertainment.

Really hate to see minor league players pushing so hard to raise salaries. Basic economics is this will lead to even more contraction, and thus less opportunities for future players.

Similar to WNBA which would not exist without subsidies from the NBA. The world would be such a better place if the majority of the people understood basic economics. :)
    • Astro wrote:

Really hate to see minor league players pushing so hard to raise salaries. Basic economics is this will lead to even more contraction, and thus less opportunities for future players.
      MLB needs to change the way they divide up the pie. If they afford to pay $40 million a year for 1 player, they can certainly find a way to raise minor league pay all the way up to minimum wage. Or more.

When I got my first job after college I didn't need to find a host family that loved CPA's so much that they would give me free room and board while I learned my craft.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

When I got my first job after college I didn't need to find a host family that loved CPA's so much that they would give me free room and board while I learned my craft.
      If such a family existed Max, I think I would sleep with one eye open :)

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Astro wrote:

MLB needs to change the way they divide up the pie. If they afford to pay $40 million a year for 1 player, they can certainly find a way to raise minor league pay all the way up to minimum wage. Or more.
      Not opposed to Minor League players making more money, especially if it came from highly overpaid MLB union members. But reality is that it will most likely come from the total sum spent on Minors, therefor fewer teams and players.
    • Yesterday I went to my first ever 'Worcester WooSox' games. This is the new Red Sox AAA team. The WooSox came from behind to beat the Syracuse Mets, 10 - 8.

New Stadium from the Outfield Seats

It was 'Princess and Pirate Day' at the Park.

It was a nice, new stadium, no complaints. They did a lot to promote local businesses in the park, which I liked (Polar Seltzer, Wormtown Brewing, Table Top Pies). The stands were only half full, but that was probably due to the smoldering 100 degree temperature in the sun.

The Worcester WooSox work hard to entertain, but I still very much missed the history, patina and neighborhood feel that the Red Sox old AAA affiliate had at McCoy stadium in Pawtucket, RI. A game at McCoy stadium was great. McCoy stadium was home to the longest professional game every played (8 hours and 25 minutes).

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Only been to one Arkansas Travelers game this year, but plan to catch some in September when the Astro's AA Corpus Christi Hooks visit. They used to come twice a year, but now with minimizing travel, they come in once for 6 games.