Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mrs. Tortoise and I finally got to our first Reds game. The Handlebar Club provides six drink tickets, a buffet, and first come-first served seating outside on a terrace or inside the club. Picked the perfect day for an 11-1 blowout win over the Phillies.

[IMG:https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Cincinnati-Reds-May-31st-2021/i-dRFgr3P/0/af4b7a32/X2/20210531_130604-X2.jpg]
      Trudgin' along the AT since 2003. Completed Sections: Springer Mountain to Clingmans Dome and Max Patch NC to Gorham NH

"The days I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations...those are pretty good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

The post was edited 1 time, last by StalkingTortoise ().

• lol, good luck with this. :)

<snip>

Major League Baseball is being sued over its move of next month’s All-Star game out of Atlanta.

A 21-page lawsuit by conservative small-business advocacy organization Job Creators Network, filed Monday in federal court in New York, demands the immediate return of the game to Atlanta and $100 million in damages to local and state small businesses. The suit also seeks $1 billion in punitive damages.

“MLB robbed the small businesses of Atlanta — many of them minority-owned — of $100 million, we want the game back where it belongs,” Alfredo Ortiz, president and CEO of the Job Creators Network, said in a news release late Monday night announcing the litigation.

2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

lol, good luck with this. :)

<snip>

Major League Baseball is being sued over its move of next month’s All-Star game out of Atlanta.

A 21-page lawsuit by conservative small-business advocacy organization Job Creators Network, filed Monday in federal court in New York, demands the immediate return of the game to Atlanta and $100 million in damages to local and state small businesses. The suit also seeks $1 billion in punitive damages.

“MLB robbed the small businesses of Atlanta — many of them minority-owned — of $100 million, we want the game back where it belongs,” Alfredo Ortiz, president and CEO of the Job Creators Network, said in a news release late Monday night announcing the litigation.

Not personally a lawyer, but I believe they would have a good case based upon the hypocrisy. Colorado (where they moved it) and New York (home of the MLB and Al Sharpton leading the protest/shakedown) both have more restrictive voting laws than those passed in GA.

Textbook case of the media not letting the facts get in the way of the narrative they want to push. Unfortunately MLB caved in and followed.

I love baseball, but MLB is asinine and guilty in this case, and I hope justice is done and they lose.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • StalkingTortoise wrote:

Mrs. Tortoise and I finally got to our first Reds game. The Handlebar Club provides six drink tickets, a buffet, and first come-first served seating outside on a terrace or inside the club. Picked the perfect day for an 11-1 blowout win over the Phillies.

That is the closest of the MLB parks I have not made it to yet (9 hours). Hopefully catch some time on the way back from another trip
    • "Iron Mike" Marshall RIP
      Cy Young, PhD, even coached for a few years for a university in our conference. Holds record in both leagues for games pitched in a season. Once pitched in 13 straight games. Threw over 200 innings in relief, few starters do that in a year now. Yes, that was a different day and age. :)

espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/315494…ward-dies-78?platform=amp
    • IMScotty wrote:

Well, the Astros gave a fine 'welcome home' to Alex Cora, but at least the Sox escaped with one win today.
      Until today, I believe we had 7 straight games where our starters gave up 1 run (or less). Just need to get bullpen healthy and we have one last shot in October with this group. :)

Personally would rather split or only take one out three with the Red Sox each time if I could trade it for sweeping the Yankees everytime. :)
    • IMScotty wrote:

The Red Sox start three game series in Yankee Stadium tomorrow. That's what it's all about!

Then I see the Astros are in Boston next week. You should come up!
      Would love to, but timing is off. May try to catch a game somewhere on east coast between Bartram Trail and AT at end of June if it works out.
    • Watching some of the Womens Softball National Championship Tourny here and there and saw an interesting at bat.

The announcer had just said that the batter was fast and one of the ways she got on base was to hit the ball into the ground.

Two pitches later that is exactly what happened. She hit the ball in to the ground, it took a giant bounce, the 3rd baseman fielded it cleanly and made a perfect throw to first. Safe. She beat it out.

Something you don't see everyday -- or ever -- in MLB. These games are a nice change of pace.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

Watching some of the Womens Softball National Championship Tourny here and there and saw an interesting at bat.

The announcer had just said that the batter was fast and one of the ways she got on base was to hit the ball into the ground.

Two pitches later that is exactly what happened. She hit the ball in to the ground, it took a giant bounce, the 3rd baseman fielded it cleanly and made a perfect throw to first. Safe. She beat it out.

Something you don't see everyday -- or ever -- in MLB. These games are a nice change of pace.
      Fast pitch softball is a very "fast" game. 60 foot bases also come into play. When I was on our local baseball board we once had a girl playing with the 13-14 year old boys. Reason: baseball is not as "fast" as girls softball.
    • Astro wrote:

Fast pitch softball is a very "fast" game. 60 foot bases also come into play. When I was on our local baseball board we once had a girl playing with the 13-14 year old boys. Reason: baseball is not as "fast" as girls softball.
      I read an article bonce about how baseball would change statically by moving the bases just slightly closer or further apart. Things like stolen bases or double plays would become either nearly impossible or routine.
    • odd man out wrote:

Astro wrote:

I read an article bonce about how baseball would change statically by moving the bases just slightly closer or further apart. Things like stolen bases or double plays would become either nearly impossible or routine
      Increasing size of bases currently being discussed as way to increase stolen bases.
    • max.patch wrote:

Watching some of the Womens Softball National Championship Tourny here and there and saw an interesting at bat.

I played baseball for a lot of years.

But I will freely admit I cant stand to watch it.
      Its like watching paint dry.

Fastpitch softball is a better game. Its more technically demanding, Its a better spectator game as well. Speed rules.

• Men's fast pitch leagues were pretty big in the '70s and 80s here in the US.
      Eddie Feigner......the King and his Court.....played exhibition games against MLB teams, etc. throw.... He played with 4 players..... He could strike out pitching from second base.....or blindolded...or between his legs....or behind his back

On February 18, 1967, Feigner appeared in a celebrity charity softball game against many Major League Baseball players. In the game Feigner struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Maury Wills, and Harmon Killebrew all in a row.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Muddywaters ().

• Muddywaters wrote:

max.patch wrote:

Fastpitch softball is a better game. Its more technically demanding, Its a better spectator game as well. Speed rules.

Eddie Feigner......the King and his Court.....played exhibition games against MLB teams, etc. throw.... He played with 4 players..... He could strike out pitching from second base.....or blindolded...or between his legs....or behind his back

On February 18, 1967, Feigner appeared in a celebrity charity softball game against many Major League Baseball players. In the game Feigner struck out Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Brooks Robinson, Roberto Clemente, Maury Wills, and Harmon Killebrew all in a row.
      The King and his Court came through my home town multiple times when I was growing up. He even had retired MLBJohn Bateman as his catcher.
    • max.patch wrote:

I've never seen this before.

Setting the stage:

Bottom of the 9th.
      Down by 1.
      No outs.
      Runner on second.

And to make it even better -- The runner on 2nd is a pinch runner. He only has one job to do. :)

twitter.com/i/status/1400995890974932992
      Blame the pinch runner, but give the catcher credit too. He ran towards the runner delaying making a throw until absolutely necessary.
    • odd man out wrote:

is it possible there was a hit and run or sacrifice bunt on and the batter missed a sign?
      <snip>

Jankowski misread a ball in the dirt, got caught between second and third and was chased down by catcher Alex Avila for the first out of the inning. Realmuto then struck out and Brad Miller flied out against Brad Hand to end the game.

“Probably just trying to do too much,” Jankowski said. “I saw a slider in the dirt. I was expecting a ricochet and it just hopped right in his glove. I couldn’t do much after that. I was kind of stuck in the middle there. Really no excuses. Just a bad read. That one’s on me.”

Manager Joe Girardi understood Jankowski’s mindset.

“The thought process is not bad – you’re trying to move up on balls in the dirt,” Girardi said. “But it’s the read. He didn’t read it away from (the catcher) and it has to be away from (the catcher) for you to advance.”
      2,000 miler
    • Poor guy...he grew up in Lancaster (80 miles from Philly) and was a Phillies fan growing up. After 6 years with the Padres and Reds, he was signed to a minor league contract by the Phillies this year. He was called up a week ago, and this was his first home game as a Phillie.

And it ended with him being booed as he left the field.
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• Astro wrote:

Muddywaters wrote:

max.patch wrote:

The King and his Court came through my home town multiple times when I was growing up. He even had retired MLBJohn Bateman as his catcher.

Baylor University softball coach, Glen Moore, used to play with them.

Fast pitch used to be big for men. My high School baseball coach played it and would pitch batting practice to us underhanded and strike us out. It's a more efficient movement you can throw a lot longer underhand fastpitch then you can overhand.

I believe the fastest ball ever thrown was also underhand...... Recorded leaving the hand.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Muddywaters ().

• So, I got asked on a date last night to Fenway Park :)

Great night.
      Red Sox won.
      First time in Fenway since the pandemic.

In case you were wondering, mask wearing at the park was maybe one in five hundred. At my local supermarket it is still running 50/50. Different demographics I guess.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

lol, good luck with this. :)

<snip>

It's safe to make your travel plans now.

Recognizing that this is a frivolous lawsuit, a U.S. District Judge denied a request for an injunction that would have blocked the move of the All Star game from Atlanta to Denver.
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

A little league game broke out this afternoon in Pittsburgh.

Will Craig probably probably didn't see his career going this way.

Shortly after this game the Pirates removed him from the 40 man roster and sent him down to AAA Indianapolis.

And told him if he wanted to explore opportunities in Asia that would be just fine.

A few weeks later he signs with the Kiwoom Heros of the Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) becasue "they told him he would be an everyday player."

But (not exactly sure of the timeline) almost simultaneously as he signs the KBO suspends the season for a week becasue of the worst outbreak of Covid during the pandemic in South Korea. After that week the season was already scheduled to be off until August 9 becasue of the Olympics. At this point who knows if play will be able to be resumed on August 10.

Dont feel sorry for him -- he got a $2.2 million signing bonus when he signed in 2016.
      2,000 miler
    • Last night the Mets were at the Reds. NY Met announcer Gary Cohen gave a review of Cincinnati Skyline Chili.

While Cincinnati chili is a still menu item at various local restaurants, 15-20 years ago a franchise Cincinnati Chil Restaurant opened in a suburb of Atlanta. It was probably Skyline, but I can't remember for sure. I had what is shown in the video. I went once. It didn't last long before it folded.

Got a review StalkingTortoise?

twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1417301020078641154
      2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• In Salem, MA there is a place that serves "Chop Suey Sandwiches," one of the nastiest things I have ever eaten. Apparently it is a beloved, local delicacy in existence sine 1875. Here is a photo of my first, last, and only Chop Suey Sandwich...

Or if you want you can read my full review on my 'Weird New England' Facebook group...

facebook.com/groups/1768482846702694/search/?q=chop%20suey
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • max.patch wrote:

Last night the Mets were at the Reds. NY Met announcer Gary Cohen gave a review of Cincinnati Skyline Chili.

While Cincinnati chili is a still menu item at various local restaurants, 15-20 years ago a franchise Cincinnati Chil Restaurant opened in a suburb of Atlanta. It was probably Skyline, but I can't remember for sure. I had what is shown in the video. I went once. It didn't last long before it folded.

Got a review StalkingTortoise?

twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1417301020078641154
      Our daughter used to live in Cincinnati so we are very familiar with Skyline. I think I usually get it on a hot dog. Never figured out the spaghetti thing. I can confirm they put on a ridiculous amount of cheese.
    • Speaking of Cincinnati, Fifth Third Bank is a Cincinnati-based bank known for having the dumbest name and also its own "hamburger", the famous 5/3 Burger. It was launched in 2009 for our local Single A baseball team that plays in 5/3 Ball Park (in Grand Rapids MI). It has five 1/3 lb patties (5/3 lb, get it?), five slices of cheese, a cup of chili, Fritos, salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes on a one-pound bun for just $29. You got a T-shirt if your ate the whole thing. "Nutritional" Data: 4,889 cal, 300 g fat, 744 mg cholesterol, 11,000 mg sodium.

5/3 Bank pulled out from being title sponsor for the ball park, so the 5/3 burger is now retired. We are now we are stuck with LMCU Park (as in Lake Michigan Credit Union). I'm not sure if they will continue the tradition of having the fans vote on the new food item to sell at the park each year. Last year (pre-pandemic) they had fans vote for the food of the decade, putting each of the last 10 year's winners up against each other. 2017's Beer Cheese Poutine was the winner. However none attained the notoriety of the 5/3 burger.

milb.com/west-michigan/fans/fanfoodvote
    • odd man out wrote:

Speaking of Cincinnati, Fifth Third Bank is a Cincinnati-based bank known for having the dumbest name and also its own "hamburger", the famous 5/3 Burger. It was launched in 2009 for our local Single A baseball team that plays in 5/3 Ball Park (in Grand Rapids MI). It has five 1/3 lb patties (5/3 lb, get it?), five slices of cheese, a cup of chili, Fritos, salsa, sour cream, lettuce and tomatoes on a one-pound bun for just $29. You got a T-shirt if your ate the whole thing. "Nutritional" Data: 4,889 cal, 300 g fat, 744 mg cholesterol, 11,000 mg sodium.

5/3 Bank pulled out from being title sponsor for the ball park, so the 5/3 burger is now retired. We are now we are stuck with LMCU Park (as in Lake Michigan Credit Union). I'm not sure if they will continue the tradition of having the fans vote on the new food item to sell at the park each year. Last year (pre-pandemic) they had fans vote for the food of the decade, putting each of the last 10 year's winners up against each other. 2017's Beer Cheese Poutine was the winner. However none attained the notoriety of the 5/3 burger.

milb.com/west-michigan/fans/fanfoodvote
      Drop the cheese and my hiker hunger could have enjoyed on of those 5/3 burgers. :)

Come to think of it, I don't believe I have had a pizza in nearly two months.