Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Baseball Thread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• max.patch wrote:

I finally got around to looking at the SI baseball preview so I could move the magazine from the coffee table to the recycling bin.

In the team preview they made predictions for each team in 2030. Spoiler alert -- Tampa is moving to Charlotte in 2028 and led the league in attendance the first 3 years they were there.

At the end they made a (tongue in cheek) prediction as what the 2030 cover of the baseball picture would look like. It was a picture of Shohei Ohtani with the headline reading:

Pitcher
      Hitter
      Manager

MLB's First 3-Way Player
      From the archive(2020)... :)
      2,000 miler
    • max.patch wrote:

I was watching 60 minutes back in 2017 when they ran a segment on someone I had never heard of before -- a 22 year old pitcher from Japan who both pitched and hit and apparently wasn't going to be interested in coming to MLB unless a team allowed him to do both. Found it on YouTube.

If I had to live in all that snow I would have gladly moved to LA too, never mind all the $$$. :)
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General
    • Opening day, and so glad Dusty is gone! :thumbup:

Recently watched the 14 Back documentary on the 1978 Red Sox & Yankees. While it was depressing in a way because I had to relive Buck Dent's homerun, in a more important way it helped provide closure on the debacle of the Astros 2023 season. Watching how Don Zimmer refused to pitch star pitcher Bill Lee because he was a hippy and overplayed his veteran players even when they were hurt, it was a great example of how another stubborn old man snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory. So many similarities. Dusty refused to put Yainer Diaz in the lineup, but now a few months later he is ranked as one of the top catchers in MLB (and so many more examples).

While the 2024 Astros team is a year older and perhaps not as talented as 2023, I am look forward to better results. :)
    • Well the Red Sox won their opening day game against the Mariners. I might as well enjoy this bright moment in the season. I am not expecting there to be many for the Red Sox this year. They did nothing in the off season to improve from last year's last-place finish. Owner John Henry has closed his wallet.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • IMScotty wrote:

Well the Red Sox won their opening day game against the Mariners. I might as well enjoy this bright moment in the season. I am not expecting there to be many for the Red Sox this year. They did nothing in the off season to improve from last year's last-place finish. Owner John Henry has closed his wallet.
      Things could be worse. You could be an Oakland fan.

2,000 miler

The post was edited 1 time, last by max.patch ().

• and our Texas Rangers squeaked out and won in extra innings. Good game. I was able to only half watch as I had something to deal with.
      People in DFW fussing because the World Champs banner got hung a bit funny in the rafters at Globe Like Park so it has a wrinkle in it. I figure they will open the roof and fix that.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    • I have always felt Angel Hernandez was a terrible umpire, especially calling balls and strikes. Now I usually notice it more when it is against a team I want to win, here is a great example of how bad he is (when my team benefits from his ineptitude). :rolleyes:

si.com/mlb/2024/04/12/angel-he…e-calls-rangers-broadcast
    • Astro wrote:

I guess this is one way to hedge against all the arm injuries by throwing max effort all the time. Just be able to throw at least 95 with either arm. :)

mlb.com/news/jurrangelo-cijntj…903-mlb-1-A&lctg=32178618
      That is Amazing! And you are right, he can injure one arm and still be a MLB pitcher. Wow.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Make Atlanta Great Again.

Poor guy...

It's ironic that he's a dark skinned immigrant.

From The Athletic (behind paywall).

cdn.theathletic.com/cdn-cgi/im…s-2151052192-1024x683.jpg

<snip>

The question of exactly how he ended up with jersey number 45 remains something of a mystery. Tromp said he asked Braves clubhouse director Calvin Minasian for a number change during the offseason. He wanted No. 14 — he has worn 14 and 60 at points in his career — but that became unavailable when Adam Duvall re-signed with the Braves. Tromp was given 45, which he didn’t select himself.

Minasian declined to comment when approached about the genesis of the selection, saying it was not a story. A Braves spokesperson also declined to comment.
      2,000 miler
    • New

We went to our third Texas Rangers Game yesterday, courtesy of my 92 YO mom. Sat on first base side first trip, third base side this time. We were up a bit high but the views are good. Trouble was the concourse was behind us and the AC fan would come on full blast. We had windswept hair when we left at the top of the ninth. Mom has a handicap parking and they pick us on on golf carts and deliver us to the doors! They mark down the car on a slip of paper they give to us. They ask where our section is and takes us to the gate closest to that. We walked thru security, up the escalator and our section was right there. Upon leaving, we leave in the ninth so there was zero line to catch the golf cart back to the parking lot, you hand the driver the paper and they deliver you right to your car. Our second trip this year was wife and I and we had to do general parking. The general lots don't have any numbers on the spaces or on the light poles so you can note "We parked in Section 12, space 274". I mentioned it to one of our golf cart drivers as he was a supervisor, running us and two radios on who and where pickups were needed. He said yes, all the workers have pointed out that the general lots are NOT user friendly. Sadly the Rangers had zero offense. Good starting pitcher and weak bullpen so they lost 4-1. Fun times anyway.
      Our second trip we were guest in PS201, Party Suite! That was quite nice. Close to the field, catered in food and drinks. A lady around asking us what else we'd like. We could move around the suite and such.
      Mom has us tickets again in September to see Seattle.
      Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork