Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

Knead Bread

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• That bread went to the farm hands where I get my CSA (community supported agriculture). The next day, I made three more loaves... gave two to my daughter and froze one.

I wish I had the drive and brains to make it a business but don’t. I also think it would take the joy out of bread baking so I’ll stick with giving it away.
      Lost in the right direction.
    • My recent give-away, sourdough bread. I finally bought a grain mill/flaker, so all the flour was freshly milled...wheat, spelt, flax. The flax had to be flaked since it’s very oily.

I’ve been making a lot of steel cut oats also. I make a breakfast mix with flaked oats, flaked quinoa, and chia seeds. It’s delicious mixed with vanilla, guava syrup, almond milk, and blueberries.
      Images
      • AD70DC29-410C-41DC-9668-495286E89C9E.jpeg

257.35 kB, 800×600, viewed 184 times

The post was edited 1 time, last by Traffic Jam ().

• Traffic Jam wrote:

Today’s bake...focaccia. It smells great! Pre and post bake.
      Wow, that's a work of art. I wish I could eat it. With this celiac I have to eat bread made from mostly rice. And it's $5.50 to $7.00 for a teeny tiny loaf. Four GF bagels for $6. Crazy. Maybe I'll learn how to bake GF bread.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

I found some gluten free sourdough starter. I'm thinking about trying my hand at bread making.
      You should totally do it! You can also find GF pre-mixes that might be good to start with. There are models of bread makers that will do gluten free bread. GF baking has come a long way in recent years and is more accessible for the home baker.

i highly recommend King Arthur Baking Co as a resource for info, recipes, and ingredients.
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

I found some gluten free sourdough starter. I'm thinking about trying my hand at bread making.
      You should totally do it! You can also find GF pre-mixes that might be good to start with. There are models of bread makers that will do gluten free bread. GF baking has come a long way in recent years and is more accessible for the home baker.
      i highly recommend King Arthur Baking Co as a resource for info, recipes, and ingredients.
      What's a good place to buy the baking pans? All the GF bread in stores is little , like a 4x4x12 pan was used and online I see some round loaves.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

You should totally do it! You can also find GF pre-mixes that might be good to start with. There are models of bread makers that will do gluten free bread. GF baking has come a long way in recent years and is more accessible for the home baker.i highly recommend King Arthur Baking Co as a resource for info, recipes, and ingredients.
      What's a good place to buy the baking pans? All the GF bread in stores is little , like a 4x4x12 pan was used and online I see some round loaves.
      If you like the round loaves, the best and most often recommended is the Lodge combo cooker. The dough is cooked on the skillet and the pot is used as the lid which creates a perfect environment for steam . Shop around, I got a great deal on mine.

Starting off, use whatever you have and experiment...any bread pan, oven safe pot (to 500*), or pizza stone will work. I recommend using parchment paper to prevent sticking.

If you want perfect square, sandwich bread, look at the Pullman pans. That’s the next thing I’m going to try.
      Images
      • DDBB35E8-E82F-44A7-8A40-CC9CFD95C5B2.jpeg

55.41 kB, 325×600, viewed 185 times
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

jimmyjam wrote:

You should totally do it! You can also find GF pre-mixes that might be good to start with. There are models of bread makers that will do gluten free bread. GF baking has come a long way in recent years and is more accessible for the home baker.i highly recommend King Arthur Baking Co as a resource for info, recipes, and ingredients.
      If you like the round loaves, the best and most often recommended is the Lodge combo cooker. The dough is cooked on the skillet and the pot is used as the lid which creates a perfect environment for steam . Shop around, I got a great deal on mine.
      Starting off, use whatever you have and experiment...any bread pan, oven safe pot (to 500*), or pizza stone will work. I recommend using parchment paper to prevent sticking.

If you want perfect square, sandwich bread, look at the Pullman pans. That’s the next thing I’m going to try.
      That looks a lot like a dutch oven.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • My newest thing is that I want to learn to make homemade tortillas…mainly corn. I tried to make them yesterday and they sucked and ended up in the trash. It’s harder than you might imagine.

Today was a little more successful although only a few puffed up while cooking.

I don’t have a tortilla press so used a pot, skillet, and a freezer bag cut in half.
      Images
      • FD0D001E-BE22-41B1-A49C-2FBF19B4BB31.jpeg

194.61 kB, 786×600, viewed 126 times
    • Honestly, I haven’t been baking much and it sucks. I love to bake and really, really, really miss it.

I gained 10-12 lbs over the past two years so worked on losing it this summer by eating a mainly plant- based diet.

I just ate two sourdough rolls and two corn tortillas… more carbs than I’ve had in one sitting for months and I feel really weak and tired…ugh!
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

My newest thing is that I want to learn to make homemade tortillas…mainly corn. I tried to make them yesterday and they sucked and ended up in the trash. It’s harder than you might imagine.

I don’t have a tortilla press so used a pot, skillet, and a freezer bag cut in half.

I use a 1" diameter wooden dowel as a rolling pin. Never tried corn I only made flour

I use that for tortillas, I also use it for a rolling out pastry dough for a meat pies crawfish pies etc.

For me, works way better than a rolling pin.

A machine makes softer, lighter, fluffier tortillas than you can make by hand. The secret is that it presses the dough thin between hot surfaces.... The dough doesn't shrink back....it sets it. I've never had any better than Papacitas. You can watch them coming out of the machine.... Go in as little golf balls of dough come oit puffed up like footballs. Warm , soft, delish.

But for making them at home rolling them out on the floured counter is pretty much what i do. Getting it thin, getting it dough consistency right is harder than you might think..... Homemade also mold in a few days they do not keep like store bought ones that last for months.

It's actually a great deal of trouble and adds a lot of time to making breakfast or something like that. I like to buy the pre-made ready to cook ones that are sold in the freezer at grocery stores and then you just throw them on hot comal and you got tortillas.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Muddywaters ().

• Muddywaters wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

My newest thing is that I want to learn to make homemade tortillas…mainly corn. I tried to make them yesterday and they sucked and ended up in the trash. It’s harder than you might imagine.

I use a 1" diameter wooden dowel as a rolling pin. Never tried corn I only made flour

I use that for tortillas, I also use it for a rolling out pastry dough for a meat pies crawfish pies etc.

For me, works way better than a rolling pin.

A machine makes softer, lighter, fluffier tortillas than you can make by hand. The secret is that it presses the dough thin between hot surfaces.... The dough doesn't shrink back....it sets it. I've never had any better than Papacitas. You can watch them coming out of the machine.... Go in as little golf balls of dough come oit puffed up like footballs. Warm , soft, delish.

But for making them at home rolling them out on the floured counter is pretty much what i do. Getting it thin, getting it dough consistency right is harder than you might think..... Homemade also mold in a few days they do not keep like store bought ones that last for months.

It's actually a great deal of trouble and adds a lot of time to making breakfast or something like that. I like to buy the pre-made ready to cook ones that are sold in the freezer at grocery stores and then you just throw them on hot comal and you got tortillas.
      I’m going to attempt to make flour tortillas and a corn/flour combo also. I prefer flour tortillas but like corn well enough and it has a lower glycemic index so a combo might be perfect.

Of course, it’s a lot of wasted effort when I can buy better and cheaper at the store but I guess you can say that about most of the things that I like to do. :)

To be honest, I want to learn to make corn tortillas from the beginning…meaning, I want to do it all including the nixtamalization process. I figure people have been making this for 10,000 years, surely I can do it too!
    • Traffic Jam wrote:

Muddywaters wrote:

Traffic Jam wrote:

My newest thing is that I want to learn to make homemade tortillas…mainly corn.

I’m going to attempt to make flour tortillas and a corn/flour combo also. I prefer flour tortillas but like corn well enough and it has a lower glycemic index so a combo might be perfect.
      Of course, it’s a lot of wasted effort when I can buy better and cheaper at the store but I guess you can say that about most of the things that I like to do. :)

To be honest, I want to learn to make corn tortillas from the beginning…meaning, I want to do it all including the nixtamalization process. I figure people have been making this for 10,000 years, surely I can do it too!
      I have no doubt that you can do it.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • LIhikers wrote:

and there's nothing quite like home made bread right out of the oven
      My wife has been baking me a weekly loaf of Anadama bread for the past few weeks. Anadama bread is a New England specialty. I love it!

Kathleen is a Long Island transplant, but after 30 years I think she has fully transitioned to become a New England Yankee :) Welcome to the dark side.
      “Of all sad words of tongue or pen,
      the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier
    • Made me look.

Anadama bread supposedly got its name when a Yankee farmer came home from a hard day in the fields to find his wife Anna had once again prepared nothing but boiled cornmeal mush for dinner. "Anna, damn her!" he shouted, and mixed the flavorless mush with molasses, flour, yeast and salt. The result? A delicious bread.
      2,000 miler
    • I’m baking again with a vengeance, hope my waistline doesn’t suffer. Today’s bake are chocolate Babka’s, a practice bake for giving as gifts this holiday season.

(A sheet of butter is in the freezer, prepped for croissants for tomorrow.)

The Babka has a cinnamon streusel topping so it’s hard to see the beautiful layers. They’re still proofing, hope they turn out good.
      Images
      • 608CD58E-178F-4EAF-86F6-4413ECA160E5.jpeg

106.66 kB, 600×450, viewed 119 times
      • 798C948B-112F-44F3-85D8-CE3D075174B7.jpeg

108.81 kB, 600×450, viewed 97 times
      • 9504B211-8D92-4E0C-BF05-69C492736069.jpeg

259.2 kB, 800×600, viewed 102 times
    • Well…the one I cut into is absolutely delicious. These are definitely going to make great Christmas gifts.

(I went on a brisk walk while they cooled so I could try it without guilt. It’s all about balance, right?)
      Images
      • 61AC472A-3333-433A-8F64-89D86E47EE88.jpeg

279.56 kB, 800×600, viewed 95 times
    • I put myself out there and attempted to sell some bread the other day via Next Door but there was no interest. And this bread is so,so good! It was disappointing but not unexpected.
      Images
      • C36E4C7F-ADEC-41D0-A193-3EB2E818B4C8.jpeg

283.79 kB, 800×600, viewed 72 times
    • Staying up to bake bread after a busy work day. The dough has been fermenting for several days so really needed to be baked. Jalapeño cheddar and regular sourdough.

Also have an enriched dough in the fridge waiting to be made into cinnamon rolls, yum! Those are going camping with me next week.
      Images
      • 0EE9AB80-24E0-436F-BD64-512ECA8E3C9E.jpeg

258.52 kB, 800×600, viewed 34 times