Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

What's In Your First Aid Kit?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What's In Your First Aid Kit?

Morphine patches. I figure someone will find me sitting up bleeding to death while singing 'Don't Worry, Be Happy'. Don't ask me where to get them. Get your own. An 8 oz bottle of whiskey could substitute. You can always use a stick for a splint and rip some material for a tourniquet.

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

i'v never had a"first aid" kit for hiking. what you got in it?

Don't laugh

3 packs Surgicel
      Sterile gloves
      3 packs steri strips
      steri strip adhesive
      dermabond
      Alcohol pads
      2 gauze pads
      Band aids
      Meds
      Survival blanket
      Scissors
      Band aids
      Iodine swabs
      carry what you got. 8 oz. ain't shit

i dont see a survival bracelet on that list
      .you can use it for tourniquets,suture,floss, sling,fishing line, bottle opener,and 1001 other uses.

The last time I looked at them, they were all too big. I'm sure they're making smaller sizes for women now so I'll check em out again.
      Lost in the right direction.

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

Don't laugh

3 packs Surgicel
      Sterile gloves
      3 packs steri strips
      steri strip adhesive
      dermabond
      Alcohol pads
      2 gauze pads
      Band aids
      Meds
      Survival blanket
      Scissors
      Band aids
      Iodine swabs

.you can use it for tourniquets,suture,floss, sling,fishing line, bottle opener,and 1001 other uses.

The last time I looked at them, they were all too big. I'm sure they're making smaller sizes for women now so I'll check em out again.

Mine is small and very lightweight.
      Non hikers are about a psi shy of a legal ball.

grayblazer wrote:

Morphine patches. I figure someone will find me sitting up bleeding to death while singing 'Don't Worry, Be Happy'. Don't ask me where to get them. Get your own. An 8 oz bottle of whiskey could substitute. You can always use a stick for a splint and rip some material for a tourniquet.

At least you didn' mention singing Ren & Stimpy's "Happy Happy Joy Joy" earworm....
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hey TJ my wife Shellie makes them. If you want one measure your wrist and PM me your shipping address and we'll see what we can do to get you one before you go. You gotta have one. Hikerboy has already attested to their power. He can also attest that we're not physco's so can TrainWreck. Color choices are yellow, lime green, blue, purple, and bubblegum. Depending on your wrist size ready made are pink, yellow.
      Changes Daily→ ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫ ♪♫♪♫♪♫ ← Don't blame me. It's That Lonesome Guitar.

milkman wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

Hey TJ my wife Shellie makes them. If you want one measure your wrist and PM me your shipping address and we'll see what we can do to get you one before you go. You gotta have one. Hikerboy has already attested to their power. He can also attest that we're not physco's so can TrainWreck. Color choices are yellow, lime green, blue, purple, and bubblegum. Depending on your wrist size ready made are pink, yellow.

Will do. Thanks!

My husband is of the military emergency medical species, so sometimes I think I need a sherpa or pack mule for the med kit alone. Look ma....I've made two posts!!!
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot

Ewok11 wrote:

My husband is of the military emergency medical species, so sometimes I think I need a sherpa or pack mule for the med kit alone. Look ma....I've made two posts!!!

It's hard to resist the urge to carry ridiculous supplies when you're in health care. I feel a responsibility to other hikers, like I should be prepared for anything.

TrafficJam wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

It's hard to resist the urge to carry ridiculous supplies when you're in health care. I feel a responsibility to other hikers, like I should be prepared for anything.

I just casually asked him when he came in from work a bit ago what he had in his first aid kit. He asked which one. In all fairness, I don't "think" he would actually carry all of it with him BUT he has needed it more than once when we were out and about.

About a year ago we were mountain biking and on the way back to the car, I allowed my ego to let my body believe it was more skilled than it was on a downhill. I lost control like a rookie, hit a fence full speed and broke it with my face. Needless to say, I was happy he had a full med kit in the car because I had to be splinted, bandaged and medicated. Amazingly, the only things I broke were the fence and the bike. The rest of me was just bruised and bloody.
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T. S. Eliot
    • Re:Re: What's In Your First Aid Kit?

TrafficJam wrote:

Ewok11 wrote:

Your not. You are obligated to try and help but not in a legal sense.
      Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.
      Dr. Seuss Cof123

I Have a confession...I own a SAM splint, and a snake bit kit...but I draw the line at a tampon for GSW's
      ...with my luck I'd get shot in the ear, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna listen to "can you hear me now" jokes the rest of my life.

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

I Have a confession...I own a SAM splint, and a snake bit kit...but I draw the line at a tampon for GSW's

How much ya want fer that snake bite kit?
      if you want it you can have it... But it comes with a SAM splint and a few other things I'm to em bare assed to mention.

...and no returns please, trying to lighten the load don't cha know.

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

if you want it you can have it... But it comes with a SAM splint and a few other things I'm to em bare assed to mention.

Then I would have 2. I got mine a long time ago when my friend got bit by a moccasin on the finger and had to have it removed cause it took almost a hour to get to the hospital. To this day I still second guess myself when we go hiking (wading) in the swamp and I don't bring it.

rocksNsocks wrote:

...with my luck I'd get shot in the ear, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna listen to "can you hear me now" jokes the rest of my life.

My nephew plugged a hole in his beer cooler with a tampon. There are some things more important than embarrassment,

TrafficJam wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

My nephew plugged a hole in his beer cooler with a tampon. There are some things more important than embarrassment,
      now that I get, gotta do what ya gotta do.

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Then I would have 2. I got mine a long time ago when my friend got bit by a moccasin on the finger and had to have it removed cause it took almost a hour to get to the hospital. To this day I still second guess myself when we go hiking (wading) in the swamp and I don't bring it.
      yer a better man than me. Socks don't wad in moccasin infested waters, Socks don't wanna get bit.
      ...and neither do I.

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

yer a better man than me. Socks don't wad in moccasin infested waters, Socks don't wanna get bit.
      ...and neither do I.
      "One Sock" on the other hand is a glutin.

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

Don't laugh

3 packs Surgicel
      Sterile gloves
      3 packs steri strips
      steri strip adhesive
      dermabond
      Alcohol pads
      2 gauze pads
      Band aids
      Meds
      Survival blanket
      Scissors
      Band aids
      Iodine swabs

I make mine with Aire-Core Pro Dyneema... Mirror image Dragon knots get me about 13 feet of cordage in a 7.5 inch bracelet... VERY light, and svelte on ur wrist...

1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

Toli wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

Don't laugh

3 packs Surgicel
      Sterile gloves
      3 packs steri strips
      steri strip adhesive
      dermabond
      Alcohol pads
      2 gauze pads
      Band aids
      Meds
      Survival blanket
      Scissors
      Band aids
      Iodine swabs

I make mine with Aire-Core Pro Dyneema... Mirror image Dragon knots get me about 13 feet of cordage in a 7.5 inch bracelet... VERY light, and svelte on ur wrist...

:woohoo: You got me at the knot closure baby!...............I'm so sorry..........I have a terrible rope fetish :(
      Cheesecake> Ramen :thumbsup:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Quit wading in the swamp and maybe you wouldn't need it.
      The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
      Richard Ewell, CSA General

Astro wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

milkman wrote:

rocksNsocks wrote:

Quit wading in the swamp and maybe you wouldn't need it.

Can't help it. There's something about gettin' away with it and livin' to tell.

CoachLou wrote:

Toli wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

hikerboy wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

Don't laugh

3 packs Surgicel
      Sterile gloves
      3 packs steri strips
      steri strip adhesive
      dermabond
      Alcohol pads
      2 gauze pads
      Band aids
      Meds
      Survival blanket
      Scissors
      Band aids
      Iodine swabs

:woohoo: You got me at the knot closure baby!...............I'm so sorry..........I have a terrible rope fetish :(

Me too :P I've got 5 books on knots, and one just for climbing knots(flat webbing/Biners) That cordage in the pic is 1.8mm, and flat... The Kevlar sheath makes it slippery to work with to get it that tight, but also because of that the knots dump easily when you need to take it apart... Takes me about 4 hours to make one...
      1 Fish, 2 Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish...

LoboSolo wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

LoboSolo wrote:

Don't laugh

3 packs Surgicel
      Sterile gloves
      3 packs steri strips
      steri strip adhesive
      dermabond
      Alcohol pads
      2 gauze pads
      Band aids
      Meds
      Survival blanket
      Scissors
      Band aids
      Iodine swabs

I always have a pair of nitrile gloves in my first aid kit. I'm no medic, but I've had enough training to help people out in an emergency where better immediate care isn't available and I also know enough to cover all the little cuts on my hands before working around other people's blood.
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

rocksNsocks wrote:

Sam splint? I've got a hiking pole and duct tape.
      Tourniquet...I've got paracord
      Triangle bandage...I've got a bandana
      Tampon? Absolutely, that or a maxi pad, UL multi use trauma dressing. I've carried them for years and tampons work great for nosebleeds (seriously)
      Snake bite kit? I've got some jack daniel's
      Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

rocketscientist wrote:

What is a GSW? Unfortunately I have to carry tampons for ... well you know what. gif.002 But they are multi-use?

I carry duct tape, 5 bandaids, Vitamin I, alcohol swabs, rubber bands (not sure why), needle & thread, a couple Benadryl & a few melatonin. I don't carry gauze, I always have a bandana or two and/or a cut down shamwow.
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

OMG! The next time my husband has a nose bleed ... I know what to give him for each nostril! It'll have to be super sized ... he's got a big nose!
      “Alone had always felt like an actual place to me, as if it weren't a state of being, but rather a room where I could retreat to be who I really was.”
      ― Cheryl Strayed

moose717 wrote:

rocketscientist wrote:

What is a GSW? Unfortunately I have to carry tampons for ... well you know what. gif.002 But they are multi-use?

I carry duct tape, 5 bandaids, Vitamin I, alcohol swabs, rubber bands (not sure why), needle & thread, a couple Benadryl & a few melatonin. I don't carry gauze, I always have a bandana or two and/or a cut down shamwow.

Unless GSW is being used for something else here, it usually means gunshot wound.

TrainWreck wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

moose717 wrote:

OMG! The next time my husband has a nose bleed ... I know what to give him for each nostril! It'll have to be super sized ... he's got a big nose!

I can picture it now

It might earn him a trail name he and everyone else will never forget!

Dare we say?

milkman wrote:

TrainWreck wrote:

TrafficJam wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I can picture it now

It might earn him a trail name he and everyone else will never forget!

Dare we say?

Only if you post "May Offend Random Viewers" first! ;)

TrafficJam wrote:

moose717 wrote:

I can picture it now

Don't carry a snake bite kit either....

[IMG:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-g8Zg3dCaXj8/Uat-GYYv59I/AAAAAAAAIuY/Q-gLyzLQMOY/s320/She-s-the-Man-Screencaps-movies-2142366-960-540.jpg]
      Be wise enough to walk away from the nonsense around you! :thumbup: