Welcome to the AppalachianTrailCafe.net!
Take a moment and register and then join the conversation

DIrt Bag Gear for us tightwads

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• DIrt Bag Gear for us tightwads

On my lunch break today I made a nice find at the Goodwill store. An Italian made 100% merino wool pullover sweater. It's a nice thin sweater, think base layer type thin. It's a pullover with a collar and a split down the front of about 6". I think I am going to lengthen the front split and make it a half or quarter zipper and maybe remove the collar and make it look more like a henley type pull over. This will be perfect ( I hope) to layer with my base layer, vest and wind shirt. Only $4.95 !!!!
      And if I get snowed in this weekend and bored I'll head to the garage with some bourbon in my coffee and crank out this little alteration. I'll post some before and after pics in case someone wants to try something similar.
      "Dazed and Confused"
      Recycle, re-use, re-purpose
      Plant a tree
      Take a kid hiking
      Make a difference
    • jimmyjam wrote:

On my lunch break today I made a nice find at the Goodwill store. An Italian made 100% merino wool pullover sweater. It's a nice thin sweater, think base layer type thin. It's a pullover with a collar and a split down the front of about 6". I think I am going to lengthen the front split and make it a half or quarter zipper and maybe remove the collar and make it look more like a henley type pull over. This will be perfect ( I hope) to layer with my base layer, vest and wind shirt. Only $4.95 !!!!
      And if I get snowed in this weekend and bored I'll head to the garage with some bourbon in my Coffee and crank out this little alteration. I'll post some before and after pics in case someone wants to try something similar.
      I'm jealous...this post did bring back bad memories of me losing my favorite wool top on a night hike, it was a fairly heavy top and very, very warm, 1/2 zip, and the wool was the softest I've ever felt, kinda like rabbit fur, I'm sitting here now just wanting to snuggle with it again, Minus 33 brand I paid $20 for...I lived in that top when I had it.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.
    • Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores have outfitted many of my Boy Scouts.

I relish finding Pendleton wool shirts in good shape. As most appear as if they've been shrunk by improper laundering, it's all good for me.

Lest we forget.....

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
      SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
      PFC Adam Harris - USA
      MSgt Eden Pearl - USMC
    • A few weeks ago I walked to Walmart to get boots. I tried five pairs, including hiking boots, work boots, and tactical boots. The tactical boots were the most comfortable. I have walked in them six miles along roads in one day without discomfort. The side zipper gave me some trouble. I wish there was more room for my well-developed leg muscles.
      I am human and I need to be loved - just like everybody else does
    • Dan76 wrote:

Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores have outfitted many of my Boy Scouts.

I relish finding Pendleton wool shirts in good shape. As most appear as if they've been shrunk by improper laundering, it's all good for me.
      I had several great wool shirts when I was young, temps in the 20's and a wool shirt was all I wore quail hunting....got married...my loving wife shrunk every one of them...*&^%$#^^%!...just can't find them any more.
      I may grow old but I'll never grow up.